Which 4870x2 to get?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Hardware
Diamond, MSI, Gigabyte, Palit or HIS?

They're all priced within 20 bucks of each other, all have the standard dual DVI ports that I need.

I'm replacing my 8800GTS with a new card and this looks like the winner. Going to be running it in Vista 64 bit and I've been reading some great reviews about ATI's drivers as of late in 64 bit vista.

Any suggestions?

Edit. I should mention it's for gaming @ 1920x1200, I will not be using it for folding@home.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Assuming the factory clocks on those competing cards are all similar, and that the shader and stream processor counts are the same, is it not a fair assumption that their gaming performance will be nearly identical? Were I purchasing one of those cards - note that I'm not a gamer, assuming prices are close and factory clocks are close, I'd look next at the quality of heatsink-fan mounted from the factory. If it's a poor performing (noisy or hot) cooler, the inexpensive card might end up being the most expensive after you make a second purchase for an aftermarket coooler.

I don't know what cooler MSI puts on the 4870X2, but the heatpipe model they put on a 9800GT and 8800GT that I have is very good and fairly quiet.

sorry about the ratty picture...
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Leo, thanks for that. Unfortunately all the coolers on this series of cards are the same as the original 8800 nVidia series, the round fan up front blowing out the back.

Specs were the same, gigabyte has been good to me over the years so I ordered their card. Now I have to play the waiting game. Did I ever mention how much I hate that game?
    edited November 2008
    Then, ensure to remove the factory heatsink paste and replace it with something good. I would imagine that's already standard procedure for you.
    edited November 2008
    it sure is. It adds about an hour to the whole setup/install, but very worth it IMO.

Depending on how the temps work out, I may look at a better cooling solution, but from what I've read, the included ones are pretty decent.
    edited November 2008
    It adds about an hour to the whole setup/install
    Dan, you're a smart person and undoubtedly skilled with computer hardware, but "an hour?" What are you smoking? Does the 4870X2 have some kind of crazy HSF mounting system. Two days ago I replaced TIM on two 9800GTs, which included thorough cleaning. Total time for both cards, including setting up my tools and cleaning up was 30 minutes. For two cards. Hey, I'm not sharpshooting you, just wondering about that heatsink.
    edited November 2008
    by the time I find the stuff I need, blow the dust out of my case, clean the old grease, hunt for my tube of the good paste, etc, it's a good half hour or 45 minutes. I've also never done this on an ATI card before, so I just gave myself a bit of an extra window.
    edited November 2008
    by the time I find the stuff I need, blow the dust out of my case, clean the old grease, hunt for my tube of the good paste, etc, it's a good half hour or 45 minutes
    Ahh, so your problem is not skills or technical knowledge, rather organization or lack thereof! ;D Just having fun with you. I have all tools, solutions, solvents, rags - everything - well organized for quick access and storage. This is the first time I've had a home with enough storage area and have lived at one location long enough to be this organized. (of course, being borderline obsessive compulsive doesn't hurt...doesn't help...depending how you look at it)