Antec Tri-cool 120mm x 25mm fan broken! Where can i get them from?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited November 2008 in Hardware
Hi, basically, like an idiot messing with the rear fans, i have manageed to snap off one of the fins :( It is an Antec Tri-cool 120mm x 25mm black, blue led fan. I cant find them anywhere. Anyone know where i can get them from. Preferable in the UK but if US is the only one avalible I will get it from there.
:(I'm very sad now. Only had this case a day and I've broken it :( Im such a plonk.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    oh UK, hmm

cause newegg carries them here in the US

have ya sent an email to Antec asking if you can buy one from them?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Do you have to have that specific color combination?

As for the Tri-Cool fans, they are probably the most popular 120X25 fan in production. It would seem any large, online computer parts vendor would stock them.

Try Amazon.UK. Just do a search under "tricool fan - UK sales"
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited November 2008
    Lol, Well, I would much prefer to have those black fans. For now, i have superglued that fan fin back on and it seems to be fine, Its a tiny bit unbalenced but it only causes a tiny bit of vibration. If i start getting problems with it ill drop antec an email asking if I can buy some. If I cant, I guess Ill have to go for the clear frames blue led tricool fans.
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't run a fan unbalanced. To balance the fan, merely remove another fin, the one that's 180 degrees opposite of the already missing fin. Yes, I've done that before and it works well.
    edited November 2008
    But like I said its only a tiny bit unbalenced. Also, since the fun broke off then it would be quite hard to remove the same amount of material. For now it will have to do. I'm going to email Antec asking for a replacement.
  • edited November 2008
    It's also almost impossible to balance a case fan that way Leo because they use odd numbers of blades on every case fan I've handled.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    They usually have seven blades, but I've seen some with eight.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2008
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=701&catid=57&subid=4&rows=0

Might not be the exact model you had but you can def get a black fan with blue neon.
    edited November 2008
    Well, what would be the best fan to replace it with, preferably, somthing that shifts more air and is quieter.
    edited November 2008
    The question you asked is impossible to answer.

There are dozens of manufacturers, many, many brand names, and hundreds of models of 120mm fans. Well, we could answer, but how many hundred suggestions do you want? I'll do better than tell you what to buy. I'll provide you the information to make an informed decision. The key factors in comparing fans:

1) airflow, volume measured by CFM (cubic feet per minute) or metric (forgot which unit is used)
    2) noise, as measured by decibels

Other factors, but mainly rather minor in importance:

- bearing type (not really important for most people unless you intend on keeping the fan for 10 years or more)
    - aesthetics - 'to each his own'
    - static pressure - only important to note if the fan is is used on heatsinks with tightly arrayed vanes
    - thick versus normal format - 120X25 or 120X38

Just compare fans with the factors 1) and 2) above, get what looks good and is affordable, and you should be good. The 'normal' 120 fan is 120X25.

Something more volume than what you have - compare CFM.
    Something quieter - compare decibel ratings.

If you are still confused, pick an online seller or two that has a good selection of fans, and we'll try to advise you.

Here's an example of a really good online shop that provides the specifications of the fans they sell. You might not know exactly what 24dBa sounds like, but at least you have an object measurement to compare the fan with others.

EDIT: a couple more things to consider:

- fan connector -- do you need a three-pin (small connector) or the larger 4-pin molex; or you can splice your own if you have the spare parts

- OcUK linked above by your countryman shows the fan specifications if you click on the fan picture links.
    edited November 2008
    Well, Yes I would like it to have a 3 pin so I can control the speed via a fan controller. Im happy with the front fans. I wont break those and the noise levels are fine. The rear fans are also fine. Because one of the fans is slightly unbalenced i guess its inevitable that the bearings are going to go at some point. I just like being able to use the fan controller panel at the back. I guess once that rear fan goes. Ill buy 2 more fans and link them up to a fan controller in a 5 1/4" bay or 3 1/2" bay

Ive been looking at the fans and I have narrowed it down to http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-003-NC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4&name=Noctua%20NF-P12%20120mm%20Silent%20Case%20Fan%20-%203%20Pin

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-006-SH&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4&name=Sharkoon%20Silent%20Eagle%202000%20120mm%20Fan%20-%203/4%20Pin

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-000-XI&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4&name=Xilence%20XPF120R%20Red%20Wing%20120mm%20Quiet%20Fan

On the sharkoon one, i know it can go up to 70cfm and be a bit noisy but i guess with a fan controller I can have at that speed only when I need it.
    Same goes for all of the others.
    edited November 2008
    You can control three-wire fans' speeds through software if your motherboard supports variable voltages from the three-pin connectors. Download and install SpeedFan. It's a free motherboard voltage and fan monitor that also allows to set fan speeds, if the motherboard supports it and if the fans are three-wire.
    edited November 2008
    The third fan you linked, the Xilence, if it is truly 68cfm at only 21dBA, that's simply excellent. In my opinion, the other two are no competition. 68CFM is a very good exhaust flow for a case, unless your computer is producing extraordinary heat. That's good price as well. I'd get it. That Sharkoon would noisy. The Noctua overpriced, IMO.
    edited November 2008
    Well, people say that the Xilence one isnt actually 68, its around 55 but thats still good as they say its quiet. Yes I know of speedfan and I have been using it for years. Unfortunatly, my motherboard doesnt let me control the fan speeds when 3 pin fans are plugged into it. When my rear fan dies, ill buy a fan controller and 2 of thoe Xilence ones.

Thanks for the help Leo :)
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2008
    If you want to use a fan controller to control the speed I would recomend you look at the airflow per decibel. Noise is created by moving air so if you have your fan on full speed it will be noiser than if you have it at low speed as it is moving more air. Therefore you can gauge the noise that the bairings and other moving parts make more acurately by working out the ratio of airflow to noise.