The Official Folding@Home Gauntlet Thread II

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Welp, I won't be getting this one. I restarted my rigs last week to do some Windows updates.
    _k_ wrote:
    Challenge period is December 25th to December 31st.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Yup. There's no way I'll fold another 265 WUs by then.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I don't use HFM and I have no way to prove my machines are on 24/7. My PS3 has a rather large WU counter though.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Then download HFM and run it, it isn't like you have to leave it running the whole time.
    edited January 2011
    No one submitted anything for Challenge 11, expected. I did end up with one client that was at 800 WUs and a second client on another machine at 150 by the dead line(this ran for less than half a month).

Last challenge for the first folding year is coming up, it will be a repeat but the results seem like they might turn out differently this time.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I got two clients to 160 by the 31st or so ... I like security patches.
    edited January 2011
    I didn't announce this challenge because I kind of forgot and it didn't matter this time. It is simply a repeat of Challenge 2 where the combined output of all red producers had to be Leo's output by the end of a week, ppd not weekly total. The reason I am doing this one is again is to show you guys how the team has turned around some and is less supported by Leo now than a year ago.

Here is the original challenge results:

Qualified people for Folding Challenge 2, March 24th through March 30th: Leonardo, Enisada, siv, ISevald(icrontic), Tim225, Dang, sgstair, Lordbean, vid, Gargoyle*BW*

Leo ppd: 101,055
    Nobels ppd: 112,758

This is with an average of 315,893 ppd. Percentages are Leo: 32%, Nobles: 36% for ppd.

Today the point total for the day is 482,985.
    Leo: 197,232 ppd 41%
    Nobels: 256,171 ppd 53%
    Overall ppd increase for the team: 53%

Leo has taken a high production and helped the team but the team has taken a larger share in increasing our ppd and making production more stable. We are still held up by a small core group in the team but it is stronger and spread thinner than what is used to be which makes me happy. I will make a more in-depth thread on the team's first challenge years, some thoughts, questions, and ramblings.

Challenge 12 winners are: Lordbean, Enisada, siv, vid, Isevald(icrontic), Gargoyle*BW*, sgstair, Tushon, ardichoke, csimon.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I hate to nit-pick... but the ppd increase for the team was actually 52.90%: (482985-315893)/315893

If it had actually been a 153% increase (Which would be awesome) we'd have a ppd average for the team of 799209.29 (315893*1.53+315893).

http://www.ehow.com/how_4449676_calculate-percentage-increase.html
    edited January 2011
    That is not nit-picking that is pointing out a simple error I should of caught when I was typing it, thanks. A link, honestly, wutadick.
    edited January 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    I will make a more in-depth thread on the team's first challenge years, some thoughts, questions, and ramblings.

Sweet! Make it a Tech or Life front page article and get some more exposure for the project. We could recruit some new members, or light a fire in some of our old timers that have gotten too lazy to fold.

Edit: 5000th post :D
    edited January 2011
    BTW, Ardichoke should pass me up today. I've got a high five ready, so don't leave me hanging. :fold:
    edited January 2011
    high fives all around!
    edited July 2011
    I'm coming for you prime.... in a mere 5.5 months at this rate, I shall overtake you and leave you in my dust.
    edited July 2011
    I'm finally back in the top 25 of Icrontic (I don't think I've been there since probly 2003), and I'm almost in the top 5000 users. It's too hot at home to keep that rig running though, so I just lost 3-4k PPD.

I was hoping to build a new X79 rig this fall, which would more than make up for the downtime, but it looks like that whole thing is a bag of hurt. Grr.
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I woke up to 85F temps this morning, so I shutdown my server and turn off GPU folding on my gaming rig. Service request in for A/C.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Started folding for the winter again...

liam, mark, and danball, you're on notice.
    edited October 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    Started folding for the winter again...

liam, mark, and danball, you're on notice.

5353.awww+yeah.jpg
    edited October 2011
    if anyone has an nvidia gpu they want to sell me on the cheap to fold on, send me a PM or something.
    edited October 2011
    Also prag, I'll see you in 16.2 years.
    edited October 2011
    I'm coming for prime.... 3.9 weeks (give or take)
    edited October 2011
    liam and mark are down.

danball, gbjazzman, and Igon, you're next.

prag, it looks like i'll see you in about 5 months...or less.
    edited October 2011
    Duhhh duhhh duhhh, duh duh-duh duh duh-duh, duhhhhhhhh

The band marches on.
    edited October 2011
    Gonna be turning off my 5870s until it gets more wintry.
    edited October 2011
    More wintry on your face?
    edited October 2011
    no, just cooler.
    edited October 2011
    I've got my 5770s folding again, and now the Athlon x4 gets all four cores dedicated to folding, so I should be up to around 10k PPD again. Hooray!

The 5770s are using 100% of the dual-core Celeron at home, but not intensively (chip is running 10*C cooler than it would under SMP). They'd get starved of CPU if I ran SMP on it, but I may throw in a single-core client for a few hundred points. It's too bad the single-threaded client makes far less PPD per core.

I've also got an old P4 Dell here with two single-threaded clients for about 160 PPD. Every little point helps, I guess, since that thing has to be up 24/7 anyway.
    edited October 2011
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeee for folding!
    edited October 2011
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I've got my 5770s folding again, and now the Athlon x4 gets all four cores dedicated to folding, so I should be up to around 10k PPD again. Hooray!

The 5770s are using 100% of the dual-core Celeron at home, but not intensively (chip is running 10*C cooler than it would under SMP). They'd get starved of CPU if I ran SMP on it, but I may throw in a single-core client for a few hundred points. It's too bad the single-threaded client makes far less PPD per core.

I've also got an old P4 Dell here with two single-threaded clients for about 160 PPD. Every little point helps, I guess, since that thing has to be up 24/7 anyway.

make sure crossfire is disabled while folding on the 5770s - with it on my 5870s only ever got to 60% load tops.
    edited October 2011
    Gotcha. It is right now, but I wouldn't have known to keep it that way. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2011
    1.4 days before I overtake papa prime. (feels good man)