GPU2 Console issues

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Folding@Home
The latest official Dell drivers broke GPU2 on my laptop, so I've given up on Dell and switched to using a modded INF on the regular Nvidia drivers. I'm currently trying v178.15, which benchmark pretty well.

Anyway, I'm trying to get GPU2 folding up again on my 8600M GT, and I thought I'd try the console version instead of the graphical/system tray client. It's working, but it doesn't increase my clock speeds to high-performance 3D level, so it runs at about 1/3 speed. Has anybody encountered this, and is there a way to fix it other than increasing my default 2D clock speed?

Also, does anyone know if you can get the console GPU2 client to pause and resume like we can with the system tray client?

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I take it nobody uses the console version of the GPU2 client?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Snap didn't even realize they made a console for gpu2, but no there isn't going to be a pause built into it. Other than that I have nothing for you.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I tried it but I get a "Unstable Computer" error thingy... :(
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I'm using the GPU console but I don't know the answers to your question. :(
    edited November 2008
    Cool. I'll do some experimenting and see if a driver change or a switch to the graphical client changes anything.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    What the heck are you using Dell drivers for? Also, the modified .inf drivers are yesterday's stuff. We've moved well beyond that! Just go for the latest CUDA drivers. I'm running 178.08 on my computers. The 180 just came out, but I haven't tried it yet.

HERE for CUDA goodness
    edited November 2008
    Also, does anyone know if you can get the console GPU2 client to pause and resume like we can with the system tray client?
    No, only the systray has the pause function. If you are running FAHMon, your really won't miss the console clients on screen logging, as you can access that instantly from FAHMon. I've tried all the GPU2 Nvidia clients. I've found the systray version to be the best for me.
    edited November 2008
    I tried it but I get a "Unstable Computer" error thingy...
    What GPU?
    edited November 2008
    but it doesn't increase my clock speeds to high-performance 3D level, so it runs at about 1/3 speed
    Laptop? It might be a GPU core temp protection feature. GPU2 heats up the core like no game can do!

But still, use the official Nvidia CUDA drivers. Nvidia has spent considerable effort developing them.
    edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    What the heck are you using Dell drivers for? Also, the modified .inf drivers are yesterday's stuff. We've moved well beyond that! Just go for the latest CUDA drivers. I'm running 178.08 on my computers. The 180 just came out, but I haven't tried it yet.

It's a laptop; I either need to use the regular drivers with a modded INF that lists my mobile chip or use the Dell-supplied drivers. Dell claims that theirs are modified so they better support the sleep modes on the laptop, but they don't release them often, and so far the modded INF regular drivers have worked fine with power management and performance.
    Laptop? It might be a GPU core temp protection feature. GPU2 heats up the core like no game can do!
    It never goes to full speed - it starts and stays at 2D speed. I didn't have this problem with the systray version and the first set of Dell drivers it came with, so I'll do some experimenting.
    But still, use the official Nvidia CUDA drivers. Nvidia has spent considerable effort developing them.
    Isn't CUDA support in everything version 177 and above, or something like that?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yes, us lappie people with mobile GPU's have to contend with the official Nvidia driver not supporting the GPU ( :mad: ) you have to use Dell or "modded inf"
    edited November 2008
    Ohhh, thanks for info.
    Isn't CUDA support in everything version 177 and above, or something like that?
    I think so, but don't know for sure. For that reason I just go to the official Nvidia CUDA page.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    What GPU?
    SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD2900GT - Running with Vista
    edited November 2008
    Ya there is support in the standard NVidia driver sets now the CUDA drivers and modified infs were just a temporary thing until people got hold of the next beta driver set past what was published at the time.
    edited November 2008
    Q, if you are still getting EUEs with client, please post a new thread and relevant log entries in a new thread.

Now that interest is picking up again for the Folding@Home and Team 93 (YES!), we need to be a little more sophisticated and open more topics. This thread is going to be rather difficult as it becomes a huge catch-all.
    edited November 2008
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Cool. I'll do some experimenting and see if a driver change or a switch to the graphical client changes anything.
    I didn't want to mess with my drivers again, so I just installed the systray client. Works fine - it gets the clocks up to 3D Performance speed. The little ol' 8600M GT in my laptop is now outproducing my dual-core Opteron in my desktop.

I overclocked the shaders a little bit, too. I'm not sure what the actual speed is: I've set it to 1025 Mhz in Rivatuner, but it reads 1080 Mhz in the hardware monitoring. In any case, a bump of around ~50 Mhz over stock was good for almost 100ppd :thumbsup:

Looking at other people's OC results, I might be able to bump up the shaders another 100 or 200 Mhz. I'll wait until this WU finishes and push it some more. :D
    edited November 2008
    there are dividers on your GPU/Shader/MEM so when you changed them check back in the hardware side of rivatuner to see what exactly the clocks are.
    edited November 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    there are dividers on your GPU/Shader/MEM so when you changed them check back in the hardware side of rivatuner to see what exactly the clocks are.

Which side do you consider to have the accurate freqs? See attached.
    edited November 2008
    right has the accurate ones.