A part of a part's list, and its concerns

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited November 2008 in Hardware
I am thinking of getting the following components:
Corsair TX 650w PSU
E8400 CPU
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R BOARD
2 STORAGE drives - 1TB WD Green, Black, Samsung, or 1.5TB Seagate
...along with some other things for a total system build. The idea is to have an energy efficient system that is WAY faster than my Northwood P4, that is also more silent. I would like to try H2O cooling, but probably won't need it for this one.

Any opinions on the Corsair 520, 550, and 650w psus for comparison? I want to go as cheap as possible, both initial cost-wise and long term efficiency running, and quietness is nice, too. I also favor single rails. But modularness is nice as well. This will be powering a low-med wattage, but more a medium oomph powered new computer, as I won't be into multiple GPUS and what not, and I know E8400 systems can run under 100w idle.

I have considered E8400, E8500 (not much more money), and the E8600 (much more money). Should I still consider them, such as for a moderate or free overclock I will not resist?

I like the value and capacity of the 1.5TB drive, but not its user reviews or higher platter count. I like the Green for quietness, cheapness, and coolness/energy savings. I like the Samsung for the same reasons, and less platters. I don't like the Black price being the same as the 1.5TB model. Again, I want 2 storage drives. 2.5" Raptors will probably at sometime be paired up with these guys, so keep that in mind on any opinion.

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    1) What graphics card will you be running? This will be a major determining factor in PSU.

2) How long do you plan to own the system before upgrading again?

3) For HD, how much data will you REALLY be needing to store and how important will it be?
  • edited November 2008
    On the psu's, I have 2 of the three you mentioned, the 550VX and TX650. And I have the HX520's bigger brother, the HX620. All three are great power supplies and all 3 are quiet. The modular cables on the HX series are really nice, but you will pay extra for a modular psu. All 3 would do you well for your build. The HX520 is a Seasonic built psu and both the VX550 and the TX650 are CWT built psu's. All 3 are 80+% efficient and all 3 have a 5 year warranty. I would say shop them and buy the one with the best price.

On the processor, either E8400 or E8500 generally overclock about the same and the newer E0 steppings tend to need less voltage for an overclock and tend to run cooler. But from what I've seen, the E8500 doesn't give much more overclock than an E8400 so shop by price. For cooling I would suggest a high end heatsink such as a TRUE, Xigmatec S1283 or Vendetta 2.

I don't have experience with that particular Gigabyte board, but do own 3 Intel Gigabyte boards (2-P35 and 1-X38). I've been pretty well satisfied with the boards. Another board you might want to look at is the Asus P5Q Pro. I recently bought one and it's a nice board for the price. They do have a rep for being kind of picky about the ram, but mine will run D9 based ram just fine as well as the OCZ 4 gig DDR2-800 kit that is listed in the memory QVL.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You could run any single video card made on your system with a quality 550W PSU without any problem at all. Muddocktor's comments on the Corsairs was very good. Two of my systems are powered by Corsair VX 550s. Both of systems have highly overclocked Q6600s running full load continuously. One system has an 8800GT overclocked, the other a 9800 overclocked, both running full load 24/7. Both have plenty of power to spare.

If you want water cooling, that's your choice, however, it certainly is not necessary just to obtain the goal of quiet system. Assuming you have a case with good ventilation and low RPM 120mm fans, you can easily meet your goals. You would though, need a CPU heatsink with a low-flow 120mm fan and a quiet hard drive. This also assumes that you wouldn't be overclocking. Well, yes, you'd also want a PSU that is fairly quiet. All the Corsairs that Mudd and I mentioned are very low noise. BTW, I'm also a fan of OCZ PSUs.

Just for reference: My system 1 in my signature has two video cards - 8800GT & 9800GT - running full load (Folding@Home) and a Q6600 overclocked by 1.2GHz running full load. The machine has several fans, two hard drives, an optical drive, and several cold cathode lights (yes, I like bling!). According to the UPS monitor to which it is connected, that system draws 415 Watts at full load. I could probably run it off of a Corsair 550VX or equivalent quality OCZ PSU at 550-600 Watts.

You mentioned two priorities and one interest, respectively quiet, cheap, and water cooling. Cheap and water cooling probably shouldn't be in the same sentence.

When looking for power supplies, use the "Marketplace" tab at the top of the page. Also check out Buy.com, Amazon, and Newegg. Buy.com has excellent Corsair prices sometimes.

For a CPU coolers that perform very well and can be configured for low noise with 120mm fans, my choices are similar Muddocktor's: Xigmatec S1283, Vendetta 2, or Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer. I would avoid the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Many of them have defective bases that require a lot time to buff down to a flat state. Additionally, that model costs considerably more than the other high perfomance heatsinks we mentioned and you must buy the fan separately. I do run two of the TRUEs, and they are excellent performers, but mine required lots of time and hard work to get them performing well.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    You mentioned two priorities and one interest, respectively quiet, cheap, and water cooling. Cheap and water cooling probably shouldn't be in the same sentence.

He also mentioned that he wanted it to consume the least amount of power. While I'm not trying to downplay the Q6600 here, for power consumption the E8400 would be the way to go..
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited November 2008
    So with the psu, does anyone think a seasonic vs cwt built one is better than the other? Or are they just so close it doesn't matter.

And no mention of the E8600, would you say a rip off and just get the E8400 or E8500 because of the close cheaper price. E8400 is $150+tax at Microcenter, $165 at newegg, and the E8500 is $187 online. The E8600 is $269, big difference, but still not extraordinarily higher like in the upper hundreds like some bail-out-the-auto-industry-extreme-edition. You know what, I'm going to apologize I even mentioned it silly me. I will either get the E8500 online or E8400 at the store. I think the old stepping is pretty much out of distribution now right? Either way, at the store I can actually look at the box, which is nice.

With the watercooling, that is just something I always wanted to try, even before my first build, and it has a good chance of not happening. I realize it would hike the total price up. In any case, that is a later-on project.

I will look into a heatsink, too. I did use the stock E8400 on a friend's build and although about half the size I was used to, it seemed to do the job well enough. It's quieter than my stock 2.8C fan.

I plan on using the system primarily for about 3 years I hope, and owning it longer as a secondary machine. I hope to upgrade sooner than 5+ years like I'm doing now.

/bullzisnipr, I have my mind set on dual core. The quad could almost be used as a furnace down south, compared to the dual core.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    With the E8600, you're paying extra because it's newer and quicker. I'd go for the Xigmatek HSF and spend the extra couple bucks for the mount kit, slap it on an E8500 and go to town.
  • edited November 2008
    As far as the CWT or Seasonic made Corsair units go in the power ratings you are looking at, they are so close in performance as to not make a bit of difference. HardOCP did a psu shootout between the HX520 and VX550 and basically their conclusion was if you wanted to pay more for modular go with the HX but otherwise they were both great power supplies.
    edited November 2008
    I think I will get the modular psu, the E8500 cpu, and 2 1tb green harddrives, but I need to locate and price the newer variation 3 platter X 333gb models w/ 32mb cache over the 250gb X4 models w/ 16mb cache. Microcenter has the 16mb retail box versions (WD10000CSRTL) which is the same as oem version WD10EACS for $99.99, but I need to find WD10EADS or the retail equivalent (WD10000DSRTL?).
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I can recommend OCZ Power supplys too
    edited November 2008
    I can recommend OCZ Power supplys too

I haven't bought anything from OCZ, but feel confident in both memory and the psus they make. I may actually buy their memory, or Corsair, depending on price and specs when it is that time shortly. I think their psus are cheaper, which is nice.
  • edited November 2008
    For power supply buying, I always recommend that you do your research first. HardOCP and JonnyGURU are 2 good sites to look for psu reviews. BTW, HardOCP just ran a review on an OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro didn't do well at all in their testing. It couldn't supply it's rated load at 45 C. But now the PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad (which is also owned by OCZ) is a definite keeper.