GPU2 & SMP simultaneous on dual core CPU!

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Folding@Home
Yes, that's right - you can now successfully engage a GPU2 client and a WinSMP client simultaneously on a dual core processor-powered PC!

The secret is the new Nvidia 180.60 and 180.70 drivers. They are both betas, bot don't seem to be causing any problems. This is massive new potential for Folding@Home enthusiasts.

Alright, you dual core users with Nvidia video cards: load up this treasure from Nvidia and get cranking. :cool:

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    This is freaking great I just dropped a SMP back onto my main folding rig. Using all four cores while running two GPU2 clients. Normally usage is so low that Process Lasso can't even register it. This is really great because it means that for people who are losing production on NVidia cards because of the new WU sets can pick those points back up with more work being done by the SMP.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I would appreciate seeing data. I have tested the new beta 180.60 drivers on five platforms. With my systems, I experienced production losses with GPU clients but gains with the CPU SMP clients. It averaged a net gain of about 50-70PPD per computer. There was a slight penalty. I saw CPU temperatures rise about 1C and GPUs rise about 2C. That's really no big deal unless you are already on the edge for tolerable core temperatures.

One thing I really did not like about 180.60 is that it prevented Riva Tuner from detecting the frequencies of the second GPU in on a two-GPU system, rendering that machine incapable of shader overclocking for the second video card. I'll experiment further and see if I can find a workaround.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I have no issues. Everything came back up just like with the previous driver update.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I tried these drivers on five systems, single and dual GPU machines, all running GPU and SMP Folding. All machines experienced roughly a 100-120PPD gain in SMP productivity and a drop of about 50PPD in GPU Folding, for a net gain of 50-70PPD per machine.