New builder here

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hi everyone,

My computer was running fine, running WoW, playing videos, but then the monitor doesn't display after idling off overnight. Then after a few more boots, it started to restart itself with the fans running and a solid mobo light after pressing the power button. Now the fans don't even turn on and my video card no longer beeps after pulling the 6 pin connector out.

Basically all that's happening now is the motherboard light turns green (not flickering).

Off to the repair shop? :rolleyes2

AAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Sounds like a dead power supply to me. Do you have one to test with?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I second what Thrax said, definitely sounds like a powersupply issue.
  • edited November 2008
    Forgot to add the video card is 9600 GSO.

Some people've been saying 500w isn't enough to run my setup (quad, 4gb ram, vid, 22" monitor).... Is that true? What kinda wattage and brand can I be safe with?

TY all :D
    edited November 2008
    500w is enough for that setup. It's on the low end, as in I would not suggest taking it to a future upgrade, but it'll work okay.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I had an Antec Neo 500watt. They are trash unfortunately. I did not have to same problem you are having while running it, but my became faulty after about 6 months of use.
  • edited November 2008
    Sonorous wrote:
    I had an Antec Neo 500watt. They are trash unfortunately. I did not have to same problem you are having while running it, but my became faulty after about 6 months of use.
    Yeah, I'll attest to them being trash too. Saw the 63% 5star rating on newegg, haha... No wonder it was combo'd :hrm:

Found out my local supplier has OCZ, has that worked like a charm? Thanks for tellin me to stay away from Neo for now on:respect:
    edited November 2008
    OCZ makes great products. :)
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Always listen to Thrax. Well..... Most of the time listen to Thrax ;D
  • edited November 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    OCZ makes great products. :)

Yeah, they do make some very good psu's, but you have to look for reviews because they also have some that are kind of iffy, IMO. Anything that is selling under the PCP&C label is good stuff (OCZ owns PCP&C now) but some of the OCZ branded psu's aren't the best (again, IMO). For another company that puts out some superior power supplies, I highly recommend Corsair and you can find some of their models priced very aggressively too, like the TX750 series.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Dead psu would be my guess as well, I recommend a OCZ PSU I own one myself and I couldn't be more happy, Silent and Powerful
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited November 2008
    BlueMike:

For great power-supply reviews, check out JonnyGuru. Simply unbeatable in terms of depth, quantity and reliability for PSU reviews. Plus, he's a pretty funny dude. :thumbup

Here is what he had to say about the Antec Neo Power 650 in his review:
    I have a confession to make: I expected this unit to fail. After all, it was built on the same platform as the two Trio 650W units jonnyGURU blew up back in the day. But, this unit did survive. Barely.

That's the good news. The bad news is, mine did have trouble holding that 3A 5VSB rail. It also exhibited more voltage fluctuation than I like to see from an indy regulated unit. So, all things considered, I'm going to toss out a 6.5.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited November 2008
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, they do make some very good psu's, but you have to look for reviews because they also have some that are kind of iffy, IMO. Anything that is selling under the PCP&C label is good stuff (OCZ owns PCP&C now) but some of the OCZ branded psu's aren't the best (again, IMO). For another company that puts out some superior power supplies, I highly recommend Corsair and you can find some of their models priced very aggressively too, like the TX750 series.
    Sorry to double reply, but I just want to wholeheartedly second this post from mudd.

The TX750 is built by Channel Well Technologies and gets good marks for build quality and performance. For the price, it may be the best PSU around. OCZ has a 750W model that is identical, but as you mentioned, OCZ also sells some crap built by a different OEM and I find myself not wanting to support their PSU business for this reason.

To expand on mudd's points:

Almost none of these brands manufacture their own units with very few exceptions. Most all PSU's are manufactured by various OEM's under contract. Some of the models are built by the OEM to certain brand specs, but many others (Especially the cheap ones) are just canned models that are produced en masse by the OEM and then branded.

Many brands have different OEM's for different models that they market. In fact, this is standard practice. So, while one model might be high quality, another model sold under the exact same brand may be utter crap with Fisher Price capacitors in it and constructed using left over Build Your Own Radio kits.

That is why it is never safe to unequivocally recommend a particular PSU brand, even high end brands like OCZ. OCZ has had a couple dud PSU models that they've marketed, and they have one that is really good.

To get a sense of the sheer variety of PSU OEM's, I suggest checking out JonnyGuru's list.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    i am recommending the OCZ 600 stealth

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

simply because i own one and it Owns
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Look up to our review bar. The Tuniq Potency 550 was a surprisingly good performer.
  • edited December 2008
    I bought a 650w TX Corsair PSU and the monitor won't show up again, BUT all fans work now... At least it's an improvement...

A conundrum.

Five infinity times the speed of pi to whoever can solve this problem.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2008
    Have you tried a different source on your monitor to make sure that is not faulty? Try some different monitor cables too.
  • edited December 2008
    I tried the monitor on other computers and it worked on other computers :s

Hopefully the new video card will solve this problem... its been almost 20 days lol ><
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I tried the monitor on other computers and it worked on other computers :s Hopefully the new video card will solve this problem... its been almost 20 days lol ><

Did you ever try another, known working video card in your computer? If you did, and the computer still had the same symptoms, it would mean that the problem was most likely either the motherboard or the PSU. Well, you already ruled out the PSU.

Hope that new video card gets the system cranking again.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2008
    Trouble is if you have no graphics you don't know if you have a faulty GPU, CPU or MB. the only way to be sure is to swap them out and try a spare.
    edited December 2008
    Trouble is if you have no graphics you don't know if you have a faulty GPU, CPU or MB.
    Faulty CPUs are extremely rare, so much so, that I wouldn't even consider that when troubleshooting. Your statement is good if you substitute 'PSU' for 'CPU.'
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2008
    Why would a faulty PSU cause you to loose graphics?
    edited December 2008
    If you are using a PCI-e video card with the 6-pin or 8-pin PCI-e power, inadequate power to the card will prevent the screen from illuminating.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2008
    Ah OK. The first time I booted mine up I forgot to connect the power and mine just came up on screen with a message saying power not connected. I guess each card is different.
    edited December 2008
    I guess each card is different.
    Correct. Without the power cable, some cards won't show at all, others will show a messed up screen, and then your description.
  • edited December 2008
    Got a 3870 and it's working :D

Can't say how happy or grateful I am ... It's just amazing to get a 20-day problem off my back :D