Computer shutting down

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hello,

For a few weeks after applying MX-2 thermal paste to my CPU, my computer had random shutdowns quite often. but that was only when the computer was standing straight. When i laid it down flat, the random shutdowns stopped. Now i always leave the computer on its side.

The problem is, I recently installed Left4Dead, and whenever I play it, the computer shuts down during game play, or after I close the game.

The reason I applied the MX-2 paste was because my CPU temperature was 52*C, and it was causing the fan to spin extra fast, which made ALOT of noise. Now the average temperature is about 35*C, and the fan is much quieter.

Since the temperature is good, i haven't checked the CPU to see if there are any problems with the paste, and i really dont know what to check for.

What do you guys suggest I do?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I would suggest remounting your heatsink and verifying that the voltages for your power supply are good in the BIOS.
  • edited December 2008
    These are the voltages for my computer, they look fine to me:

voltagesvn8.th.jpg

I also want to note that every time my computer shuts down, I have to wait about 5-10 minutes before turning it back on cuz nothing happens when I press the power button.

I haven't remounted the heatsink yet. I will be doing that soon.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Were you having the crashes before you applied the past? It's a good thing to cool down your cpu but perhaps your cpu isn't the source of your crashes. You may want to run a memory test to test your sticks of ram.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    11.71v under no load? Do you know what it is when you're actually doing something on the PC?

That's very low.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited December 2008
    NewGuy wrote:
    These are the voltages for my computer, they look fine to me:

Those are low under no load as Thrax said. That is most likely causing your instability issues.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    NewGuy, I'll side with a couple others. Considering that those are the voltages when the computer is under essentially no load, they are not good. The 12v line is really bad. Yes, it's technically within the nominal +/- 5% ATX limit, but 11.7 with no load is frankly awful.

Your next hardware upgrade should be a quality power supply unit.