WTB el cheapo laptop with serial port and USB port

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited December 2008 in Trading Post
I need a cheap laptop to program my car's electronic control unit with.

Requirements:

Windows XP
1 serial port
at least 1 usb port
A GOOD, LONG LASTING BATTERY.

I do not need optical drives, or wireless, or any other sort of ports besides what I outlined above. I do not need a case. The tuning software has minimal requirements, so I don't care what CPU or memory it has. The most important things to me are that it has one serial port and a GOOD battery.

Payment will be with paypal with shipping to zip 10312. Thank you!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    BTW, if you can't find one with a serial port and USB, just go for USB. You can get 9-pin/serial to USB converter cables for $5 or under.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    BTW, if you can't find one with a serial port and USB, just go for USB. You can get 9-pin/serial to USB converter cables for $5 or under.

On my buddy's laptop for some reason the wideband sensor connectivity was finicky when I'm was using the USB converter, so I'd prefer a native serial port if possible. But if not then 2 USB's is ok as long as the battery is good.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    If it's DOS based software, Leo, USB may not even work.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2008
    Everything's windows-based.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Panzer, have you checked out your local Craigslist? It's probably full of ancient Dull, HP, IBM, and whatnot desktops and laptops. Most of those people do come way down in price when market reality slaps them in the face. They found out there seven year-old Dell Optiplex P4 is NOT worth $450.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    or local pawn shops.