Computer shutting down

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys, I've been having computer troubles - my computer was running fine earlier today, but then Windows Vista decided to shut down my computer (i.e. it was just a normal shutdown, but not initiated by me). Now, every time I try to power on the computer I can hear it power on for 1-2 seconds at most, and then it shuts back down.

System specs:
Q6600 (G0)
GA-P35-DS3P
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 800
Corsair 620HX

I have already tried re-applying the thermal paste on the CPU, just in case that was the problem. Also, I tried resetting the CMOS with a screwdriver (I am assuming I did this right, however). But still, no luck.

It seems that the power supply might be the next thing to check. I just wanted to see if you guys think I missed a step or anything obvious that I just simply overlooked.

BTW: I built the system myself over a year ago and it has worked fine until now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    - Are you overclocking?
    - When you reset the BIOS, did you have the PSU turned off? I assume you re-entered the BIOS after reset to check settings. Did you?
    - What paste did you use on the heatsink? Please describe how you applied it.

Those are all logical troubleshooting steps. It sounds like you can't even enter the BIOS now, correct?

Do a quick RAM test. It could be one of your modules has gone bad. It happens. Shut down the system and remove one the modules. See if it will boot. Then try the other module and boot test again.