new pc freezing when I run folding clients

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hi all! Just got a new PC, here are the specs:

C2Q Q8400 2.33Ghz
4GB Corsair Dominator PC1066
MSI P45 Platinum Mobo
Sapphire HD4850 OC Toxic
550 Coolermaster Power Supply

Installed Vista on it, that went fine.. Then I ran the GPU client, that also went fine. Once I started running the CPU client together with the GPU client the computer locked up. When I run the CPU client alone the computer also locks up. No restart, just no response from any input whatsoever. The core temps are all around 59C. I can't monitor my GPU temperature. I have downclocked the GPU from its stock OC to the regular HD4850 speeds but its still happening. HELP!!

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    What kind of cooling do you have on the CPU?
  • edited December 2008
    stock cooling, dont think ill need a better one as i dont really intend to OC. erm. ive worked out that its a RAM problem. I bought PC1066 corsair dominators(4GB) but i can only run them stable at PC800. anyone heard of anything like this with dominators?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    If it is indeed the RAM - you needing to underclock it, that would probably indicate the RAM needs more power. Does your motherboard BIOS allow boosting the voltage to the RAM? Check the RAM model online for the default voltage, then check your BIOS (assuming the option) for what is set.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Did you increase your voltage to 2.0 or 2.1v for the memory? It will not do this by default when you set it to PC2-1066.