On-Board NIC one orange light - is it dead?

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hey, I plug the NIC on my motherboard into my cable modem (which is fully active and working), and the NIC lights up with only one orange light and doesn't get a connex to the internutz.

Is my onboard NIC dead?

thanks,

phu

(this is for my smoothwall and this motherboard has 1 total PCI slot which is being used by the other NIC... so, i'm going to cry if the on-board NIC is dead)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It probably means your cable modem is only 10baseT and the solid orange indicates a less-than-100mb connection. Or it could be a duplexing issue. Or it could be tits-up dead.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited December 2008
    tits-up dead makes me sad

can i change duplexing in the bios? ... and the cable modem works when i plug the ethernet into my laptop... this nic has worked for me for the last 6 months ... and then i transported it to my new apartment... and I haven't been able to get it working since I got into my new place.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Phuschnickens, I have a couple of old PCI Ethernet cards in my parts bin. I haven't used either of them in at least four years. I'll be happy to give them to you if you will just take care of the postage, ~ $6 for three-day Priority. They are both 10/100. Last time I used them they functioned perfectly.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    He's only got one PCI slot and it is taken with a second NIC already. He's upset that the onboard NIC may be dead, as he needs that one as well.

JP, you may be able to - check auto-sensing in the NIC BIOS, but some crappy motherboards don't have any onboard NIC options. Your mileage may vary.
    edited December 2008
    leo

thanks man... very nice of you. I actually have approx. 12 nic cards in my parts crate... unfortunado I need two things to make a PCI nic work as a solution, 1) another pci slot on my mb (there is one pci, one agp ... the first pci is occupied by the other nic ... two NICs are necessary) and 2) the NIC would have to be low profile. The network adapter that choked is the on-board one... so i might have to find a new computer if i can't get it to work.

This is the kind of computer I'm talkin' bout. I love it b/c of it's small footprint... looks like this:

1186881576-67565_full.jpg

if someone has an old optiplex motherboard laying around... :D
    edited December 2008
    He's only got one PCI slot and it is taken with a second NIC already. He's upset that the onboard NIC may be dead, as he needs that one as well.

JP, you may be able to - check auto-sensing in the NIC BIOS, but some crappy motherboards don't have any onboard NIC options. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you... i'll give it a shot. hopefully it's just like the gigantic electo-magnet in the apartment below me... cuz i can ask them to turn that off (easy fix)
    edited December 2008
    I was wrong... It has nothing to do with the orange light... it works fine (now I managed to get a solid orange and another blinking orange ... status and connection prob.)

I did ANOTHER shutdown of modem, shutdown of smoothwall then turn on of modem wait.. wait... wait... then turn on of smoothwall then wait... wait ... and now I get a response on ping google and a response on ping 10.0.0.2 (lan server)... I'm still screwed up though, b/c the server (10.0.0.2) doesn't have an internet connex. (but it does get a response on ping smoothie).

P.S. windows domain with active directory so the server is running dhcp and dhs...

Any tips are appreciated, otherwise I'll just keep looking at it. Thank you.