Really cool Gmail trick- tag your email address

kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
edited December 2008 in Science & Tech
Let’s say that your email address is ‘GeorgeBush@gmail.com’, basically everything sent to any of the following email addresses will be forwarded to your primary email.

<table width="550"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top">
  • GeorgeBush@gmail.com
  • G.eorgeBush@gmail.com
  • Ge.orgeBush@gmail.com …
    …
  • GeorgeBus.h@gmail.com
</td> <td valign="top">
  • GeorgeBush@googlemail.com
  • G.eorgeBush@googlemail.com
  • Ge.orgeBush@googlemail.com …
    …
  • GeorgeBus.h@googlemail.com
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
And that’s not all, you can place as many dots as you want, it can be even something like ‘G.e.o.r.g.e.B.u.s.h@gmail.com’ and you’ll still get it on ‘GeorgeBush@gmail.com’
Additionally, I just also found out that you can embed random text to your email ID using ‘+’ sign. That is to say ‘GeorgeBush+anythingyouwant@gmail.com’ can be used as your email address, as well.
Ok I got it. Now what ?
1. One email for every purpose
Instead of using different email addresses for various purposes (work, school, friends, etc.) you can use different variations of your Gmail and filter incoming mails by ’sent to’ address. For instance, all incoming mail sent to ‘Name.Surname@gmail.com’ can be put to folder ‘work’, messages sent to ‘NameSurname@gmail.com’ can be put to ‘friends’, ‘N.ameSurname@gmail.com’ can be used for newsletters, and so on.
2. Track/Block spammers
When signing up for some website, say thatwebsite.com, you can add thatwebsite to your Gmail user ID (eg. GeorgeBush+thatwebsite@gmail.com). This way you can block your subscription whenever you want and even identify those websites that distribute your email address to spammers.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Wow, that second part is actually pretty useful. Good find. You're sure it works like this?
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    Part 2 = win if it works as planned.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    nice find! :cheers:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I can vouch that part 2 works.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Wow, that second part is actually pretty useful. Good find. You're sure it works like this?

I've been using the mygoogleid+sitename@gmail.com address trick for quite a while (2 years?) and it works as advertised. Bonus when used with filtering rules.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    Yep it definitely works. Nothing new just not really documented anywhere. I just found out about it a tech tip subscription I have.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Great tip!
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I like it! Very nice
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    And here I pay for an e-mail server in order to do things like this :P
  • SliquidSliquid Neverwhere, Michigan Member
    edited December 2008
    thanks for the tip!
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Wow, nice find. I'm going to have to use this.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    This info WILL get used!!!

:respect: to Kryyst
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I just used this trick last night to send a signup directly to spam. Friggin' sweet! Thanks, Kryyst.