DriveImage XML reinstalling OS Image to HDD

edited December 2008 in Hardware
i've created a copy of my C: saved to an external Hard Drive using DriveImage XML, i deleted the C: Drive and convert it to Linux

now i'm wanting to migrate back to Windows, going through the DriveImage XML how to doesn't seem to have any instructions on my case in particular

what i want to do is just put my backup onto a Partition (which should be C:\)

can anyone help me? I have created a UBCD4Win CD but i'm unfamiliar with using it to put my C: Image into the PC Hard Drive

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Well, the long way around, but should be the most reliable:

Format the partition where you want to image back C:\
    Install Windows from an XP CD, just the first install without updates, just enough to make it run
    Install your imaging software
    re-image back from the external drive

I'm sure there's a faster solution, but the one I outlined is only a waste of time for what it takes to reinstall basic XP functions.
  • edited December 2008
    thanks Leonardo... that seems time consuming... if i won't get another reply for a quicker option then i'll try your method :) cheers
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It's not so bad on time. An XP installation on a reasonable fast machine takes what, half an hour? You don't even have to do any configurations or Windows validation. You just the Windows installation to be good enough to install your backup software.

I routinely back up four different PCs - full system backups. I never take the time to create rescue disks and the like. If a re-image is required, I just go through the steps I outlined above. I just had to do this a couple weeks ago when a primary hard drive bit the dust.
  • edited December 2008
    i think i can run DriveImage XML from the UBCD4Win Live CD... i'm stuck at figuring out how to install it as a C: (considering that the C: already exist as my portable drive)

how can i change this so i can create a new C: on my HDD?