Pick me a cooler!

edited December 2008 in Hardware
hi again. i have checked out the v8. it looked really intimidating, but after looking at the other coolers on the market such as the thermalright ultra 120 and a few other offerings from coolermaster, i realise its normal for coolers to look so scary these days. at least their silent. my old TT volcano 7 sounded like a fighter jet. anyway, i have narrowed it down, but feel free to suggest anything you think might be better for a socket 775 application. no watercooling or anything that might cause condensation ie phase change(little out of budget, but you know what i mean), that is pretty hard to avoid when you live in a tropical country. :D so here is my list:

1. coolermaster v8
2. thermalright ultra 120
3. ocz vendetta 2

if you have any other suggestions, keep in mind scythe and xigmatek coolers are not available here.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    All three are good. The Vendetta 2 will be the best bang for the buck. Also look at the other new OCZ cooler, the Gladiator Max. The Thermalright and Cooler Master are both good coolers. A TRUE with a lapped base is about as good as you can get, yet the V8 with good fans will beat a stock TRUE in some cases. If you are willing to spend the money, they're both fine choices.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Yes, oh wait...I don't need to say anything. BJ already spoke for me.
  • edited December 2008
    i think ive knocked the 2 others off the list except the v8, due to them being pretty tough to install. a difference of 2-3 degrees is not much to me. ive tried and failed to find this answer on google: exactly how loud is 34 dba?! and what are your thoughts on the sunbeamtech core contact?
    edited December 2008
    34dBa is not bad. If the other fans and PSU in your computer case are buzzing, you probably wouldn't even notice another fan at 34dBa. The Sunbeamtech CC Freezer is an excellent heatsink. It is pretty close in performance to the Thermalright Ultra 120 E, but costs about one half as much. It also includes a fan (at least in North America). The OCZ Vendetta 2 is also excellent. (BTW, I happen to run a couple Ultra 120Es, a V2, and a couple CC Freezers.) All the heatsinks recommended in the post above are first class performers. Given your desire for a simpler installation, and I don't blame you:

1) avoid the Thermalright Ultra 120E. They have a history of very poor quality control on the bases, which more often than not are not quite flat. That requires significant end user work to sand it down. Once sanded down (lapped) though, they are the best common-type air cooling you can get.
    2) if you go with the push-pin mounting system sinks, such as the OCZ and CC Freezer, ensure that you test the mounted sink it several times by wiggling it and pulling on it firmly before restarting the computer. It is very easy to think those heatsinks are firmly mounted when they actually may not be. The pushpin mounting may seem very easy, but it's actually very tricky.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Word up, it took me 5-10 minutes to get my V2 mounted on my 790i in an Antec 900 because of so little space to get my hand the small places and try and keep the pins in the holes while I applied enough force. If you choose a cooler with push pins buy one of these, you have to remove the motherboard for install but its better all the way around. Same kind of design used on TRUEs.
    edited December 2008
    it took me 5-10 minutes to get my V2 mounted on my 790i in an Antec 900 because of so little space to get my hand the small places and try and keep the pins in the holes while I applied enough force
    I didn't even try. I knew in advance that the pushpin mounting system was simple, yet not so simple. I removed the motherboard from each system that received a pushpin-bracket heatsink. I was ensuring that the sinks would be mounted correctly.
  • edited December 2008
    hmm. I don't actually mind ripping the mobo out of the case. I just have this phobia of pressing so hard I break the proc or crack the mobo pcb. I'm not about to get over that anytime soon though. hehe. in light of this, seems like a cooler with screw mount type backplate thing is the one for me. I'll only be buying the cooler in about 3 or 4 days, so there's plenty of time to do research.
    edited December 2008
    seems like a cooler with screw mount type backplate thing is the one for me
    Then the CPU heatsink field is wide open for you. In my opinion, there is potentially much less risk to your hardware due to user error if you install the heatsink on a motherboard that's removed from the system.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Then the CPU heatsink field is wide open for you. In my opinion, there is potentially much less risk to your hardware due to user error if you install the heatsink on a motherboard that's removed from the system.

I have to agree with Leo. Lot less scraped knuckles pulling the mobo. I usually try to lay my mother board on apiece of cardboard before I start pushing. Also it's a great time to clean out any dust that may have accumulated in your case since your last install.