Need recommendations for 1 TB external drive

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Hardware
My downloaded music files are beginning to outstrip my internal hard drive capacities and I've been thinking of getting an external drive in the 1 TB range. Problem is, I don't know too much about external drives. For storing and accessing my music files I would appreciate your recommendations on capacity, interface and brand (relative to reliability). Thx!

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    what connections do you have on your pc?

esata>firewire800>USB2.0

other than that just get one from WD or Seagate thats on sale.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    My external connection right now is USB, but I was thinking about an add-in card to gain eSATA.
    edited December 2008
    esata gets nearly the speed of a normal sata hdd. much faster than the 12mb/sec USB.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    much faster than the 12mb/sec USB.

Actually....From what I've experienced with my external HD [via USB 2.0], you get more like 20mb/sec and maxes out at 28ish

This is my External HD

:rockon:
    edited December 2008
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    Actually....From what I've experienced with my external HD [via USB 2.0], you get more like 20mb/sec and maxes out at 28ish

This is my External HD

:rockon:

ok, but esata does 70+ mb/sec
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    e-Sata won't be a big advantage for you unless you are transferring a substantial volume of files between the computer and the external drive. If the intended use of the drive, as I understand, is mainly playback of music files, USB (2.0) will work just fine for you. If the external drive you wish to purchase already has e-Sata, then great, you might as well get it. Shouldn't be a problem though. I would think that any external drive/enclosure that has e-SATA will also have USB.

All I'm saying is that you probably don't need to seek out a drive that has e-SATA. Fatcat's recommendation to go for Seagate or Western Digital on sale is spot on, as far as I'm concerned.
    edited December 2008
    Good point Leo

my thought was about transferring the 1TB of music to the external. USB2.0 would take like forever yanno. ;)