Building a New PC

1235»

Comments

• The-Lovable-Mr--HaterThe-Lovable-Mr--Hater Planet Earth
    edited July 2009
    OK, nevermind. I accidently ordered it while on the phone with them seeing if they could give me free shipping on all of it. OOOPPS! lol. Oh well, if there is a conflict, then I will deal with that at that time! Thanks to all you guys in here for the help, and if there is anything else I need to know, please tell me. You guys ROCK!
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    quick look, looks good. enjoy, and I hope you have some thermal paste, though you should be getting some cheap stuff with your processor which will be ok, not ideal to our terms but should be fine for your system.
    edited July 2009
    OK, got a bit of a problem....I installed everything, as carefully as I could, and double checked all my connections. Turned the PSU on and then hit the power switch. CPU fan turned on, hard drives had power, 3 of the 4 fans worked, but, the CPU fan seemed to be going alot slower than I think it should. I could reach in and slow it down with my finger without any resistance. Is the power supply not enough, or is there something I am missing? Here is the list again of what I have ....

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HDX710WFGIBOX

RAIDMAX AZTEC ATX-619WB Black/ Silver 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case
    edited July 2009
    I also forgot to mention that I am using an NVidia PCI video card with dual monitors. I'm not sure if that helps, but I just dont know what is wrong. Thanks again guys for all the help!
    edited July 2009
    Nevermind...I figured out the problem, but....I went to the OCZ website (the power supply that I have) and it says that if I have an 8 pin connection for the CPU, then I need to use the 600 watt psu. Is that really necessary, and if so, will newegg give me a credit to return the one that I have to get a bigger one? I have alot to learn! I am loading windows onto the hard drive right now, and tomorrow will be working on the rest of the software. Thanks again for all who has helped me, and if you can think of anything that I might need to know, please speak up! Im so excited! Im like a little kid ready to open his first christmas gift! LOL!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    OK, got a bit of a problem....I installed everything, as carefully as I could, and double checked all my connections. Turned the PSU on and then hit the power switch. CPU fan turned on, hard drives had power, 3 of the 4 fans worked, but, the CPU fan seemed to be going alot slower than I think it should. I could reach in and slow it down with my finger without any resistance. Is the power supply not enough, or is there something I am missing? Here is the list again of what I have ....

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HDX710WFGIBOX

RAIDMAX AZTEC ATX-619WB Black/ Silver 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

Go into your Mobo Bios and see if AMD's cool and quiet is enabled. If it is, you have an option to disable, and your idle fan speed will probably increase as a result.

Do you have a program to monitor your CPU temps? You could use AMD overdrive, its free and its effective for giving you read outs on current fan speed, CPU temps, that sort of thing.

If you want to report what you have, we should be able to tell you if its within normal parameters. I'm thinking cool and quiet is probably enabled on that board by default, and what you are experiencing is normal.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15337_15354_15359,00.html
    edited July 2009
    Cool. Thanks Cliff. Ill work on that tomorrow. Im loading up windows now before I go to bed. Kinda late here for me. Also, what do you think about the power supply? Does it have what I need, or should I go bigger? Thanks.
    edited July 2009
    the cpu fan doesnt spin like a jet on all heatsinks, though in general if you stuck your finger between the blades usually its fast enough to sting a bit. if your talking about putting your finger in the center and it slows I can do that with any fan. as for the 8 pin header on the mobo, it is ideal to have all plugged in, but is not necessary. your manual should state a bit more on your options for power.
    edited July 2009
    Well, I stuck my finger between the blades, and it really wasnt that fast. I got into the BIOS and looked at the speed (I think it was) and it was fluctuating around 1809. Isnt that kinda slow? Shouldnt it be at least around 2500? I did see the temperature and it said about 38c. That seems to be ok, right? I still have many adjustments to make, but so far I guess everything is ok. I will look into the manual tonight for the power on the motherboard. I will be calling Newegg today to see if they can swap out the PSU, since I havent used it. Thanks for the response guys.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The fan on my heatsink will often dip below 1800 RPM when the system is idling. It all depends on what heatsink you are using and the fan that is on it. I think the max I've seen mine hit was around 3000 RPM or so and that was during burn-in when my CPU temp spiked around 40 deg C. You should check the manual for your heatsink and see what the fan is rated at. Usually it will give the normal RPM range that it goes through.
    edited July 2009
    Cool. Thanks for the info and I'll check that out when I get home today. What is the normal temperature of a CPU anyway? Will it tell me in the manuals of the MB and CPU? Everything is working great by the way and I want to thank all of you who have helped me decide on what to get! I think I may have to upgrade the power supply only cause Im nervous about the extra 4 pins that are available. I want to make sure that the board is getting ALL the power, and I think that is the CPU's power, so I dont want to skimp on it. In fact, I will post a picture of it later, and you guys tell me what you think. Once again, I appreciate all that you have helped with!
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Standard CPU temps usually aren't listed because they're fairly affected by things like ambient room temp, etc.

Generally, you can expect a CPU to idle somewhere around 10-15C over room temp (so if room is 20, CPU may idle at 30-35), and it may jump another 20-30C at full load, depending how good your cooler is. This is assuming you haven't messed with the CPU's voltages in the bios.
    edited July 2009
    OK. Thats good to know, Lordbean. Thanks. So if my room is around 78 degrees F., then it should be around 40 C on my CPU. I will keep an eye on that. Thanks for the info.
    edited July 2009
    yeah everything sounds good. have fun.
    also in general grab primer95 and run that for some hours, your temps will raise and it will stress your system. if it doesnt crash your good.

also you dont need those other 4 pins. my friend has a quadcore with only the 4 plugged in. runs fine. Im a bit behind so I should read up on system specs to give a fully informed response
    edited July 2009
    Ok, now that I have almost all my programs loaded, I have a couple of questions.

First, is it a good idea to go into the BIOS and set up a RAID? If I read it right, it will make my system run smoother? If so, do I really need to have the same exact hard drive, or can I have 2 that work the same (i.e. WD-7200 rpm-320G, Hitachi-7200-320G)?

Second, I noticed that it seems to take a little bit of time to boot up. Once I hit the power button, I would say between 1 and 2 minutes to get to the Windows Logo screen. Is this normal? Is it because of the amount of memory and hard drive space? Ive never had this much before, so I dont know. If so, then thats fine. Wasnt sure if there is something I can do in the BIOS to speed that up, not that thats along time. Just wondering.

Thanks guys for all the info. Im sure Ill have more questions as the days roll on! LOL
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    RAID is rarely worth it. Don't bother.
    edited July 2009
    there are probably features that can be disabled during post (the boot process) that can be disabled to speed up a little bit, possibly turning off onboard raid and detection of a few other things. Raid is nice if you want reliable storage. I would get used to knowing your system first and studying up a bit more on other things prior to jumping into a raid.

Worst case scenario you screw up the raid and lose all your precious data you cherish so much
    edited July 2009
    @ Snarkasm - Why do you say that? Doesnt it help process information faster? (at least what the stuff I read said)

@ Nate - Ok, I'll work on reading up the BIOS. What kind of things can I disable detection of? I would hate to disable something that would then make the system not boot up.

Thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    It helps process information faster at the expense of cost and a massively increased risk of data loss.
    edited July 2009
    Well, I definately dont want to lose data! I guess I'll maybe go another route, or at least do more research. Thanks Thrax for the info.
    edited July 2009
    ok, now I seem to be having an issue. nothing major but I want to get it fixed. I bought another harddrive as a back up for all my downloads. It is a WD 320Gb just like my other. Now, when I boot up, and the boot screen loads, it recognizes the harddrive, but when I log into windows, and I go to my computer, it does not list among the devices. Any ideas as to why?
    edited July 2009
    right click on my computer, click manage, go into storage devices and find the drive listed there, you'll need to initialize it and format it. though it should be listed under my computer ready to format but it may just not be initializing for some odd reason.
    oh well, do it manually.
    edited July 2009
    ok, i see it on the computer management. i right clicked on it and it said to initialize, and i did, but nothing. now when i right click on it, it says convert to dynamic disk. but it still doesnt show up on my computer when i click on it. should i reboot my computer after i have done that? or convert it to dynamic disk?
    edited July 2009
    did you format it? that is an important step, it should be showing up under my computer though if its initialized
    edited July 2009
    it hasnt givin me the option to format it. where do i find that?
    edited July 2009
    Nevermind, I figured it out. I dont give up to easy! lol. thanks for the help Nate. If I run into another problem. Ill be sure to let you guys know. Thanks again!
    edited July 2009
    even if its not a problem let us know, maybe we know an easier way to do it. learning is a team sport, join the game :P
    edited August 2009
    Nice bunny ears, Nate! lol.

Ok, down to business. I just saw this PSU on Newegg. Is it worth the money, or a piece of crap? I'm looking at the rebate, and thinking that it might not be worth it. Anyone out there think they can tell me anything about it? Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817184009&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082509&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082509-_-PowerSupplies-_-LC4A-_-17184009
    edited August 2009
    Here are the specs. Thanks again guys.

17-184-009-08.jpg