Building a New PC

The-Lovable-Mr--HaterThe-Lovable-Mr--Hater Planet Earth
edited August 2009 in Hardware
I am going to try and build my own computer, so I can get the maximum speed that I am looking for. I have never built one before, so I just need a little advice on what to look for.

I am looking at an ASUS Motherboard, Model number P5Q.
Here are the specs from it.

<TABLE class=specification cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=name>Brand</TD><TD class=desc>ASUS</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Model</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>P5Q</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>CPU SocketType

</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>LGA 775</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>CPU Type</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>FSB</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>1600/1333MHz

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Chipsets</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>North Bridge</TD><TD class=desc>Intel P45</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>South Bridge</TD><TD class=desc>Intel ICH10R</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Memory</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Number of Memory Slots

</TD><TD class=desc>4×240pin</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Memory Standard

</TD><TD class=desc>DDR2 1200</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Maximum Memory

Supported
</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>16GB</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Channel

Supported
</TD><TD class=desc>Dual Channel</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Expansion Slots</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PCI Express 2.0 x16</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PCI Express x1</TD><TD class=desc>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PCI Slots</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>3</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Storage Devices</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PATA</TD><TD class=desc>1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>SATA 3Gb/s</TD><TD class=desc>8</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>SATA RAID</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>0/1/5/10</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard Video</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Onboard Video Chipset</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>None</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard Audio</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Audio Channels</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>8 Channels</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard LAN</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Max LAN Speed</TD><TD class=desc>10/100/1000Mbps</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Rear Panel Ports</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>PS/2</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>USB</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>6 x USB 2.0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>IEEE 1394</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>1 x IEEE 1394a</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>S/PDIF Out</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>1x Coaxial</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Audio Ports</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>6 Ports</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard USB</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Onboard USB</TD><TD class=desc>3 x USB connectors support additional 6 USB ports'));</SCRIPT>3 x USB connectors support additional 6 USB ports</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Onboard 1394</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Onboard 1394</TD><TD class=desc>1x 1394a</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Physical Spec</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Form Factor</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>ATX</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Dimensions</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>12.0" x 8.8"</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Power Pin</TD><TD class=desc></SCRIPT>24 Pin</TD></TR><TR><TD class=title colSpan=2>Features</TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Features</TD><TD class=desc>EPU-6 Engine ~ System Level Energy Saving
Drive Xpert ~ Enhance Data Backup or HDD performance
Express Gate ~ 5 Secs from Bootup to Online!
100% Japan-made Solid Capacitor ~ Best Quality
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I hope that it is legible.

Is this brand any good? Does it seem to have most of what I would need? Does this mean that it alreaady has a processor, or do I need to purchase one for it? I plan on getting a 320GB Western Digital Hard drive and a LG DVD Burner as well. Any info that would help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    That's a great board. It does not come with a processor.
  • The-Lovable-Mr--HaterThe-Lovable-Mr--Hater Planet Earth
    edited December 2008
    Great, then I will purchase it tonight. Now, how do I know what processor to buy? I mean, chip size or pins or something like that. Is there something I should be looking for? Once again, any help would be nice.
    edited December 2008
    You're looking for an Intel processor for socket LGA 775.

Depending on your budget and the speeds you wanna hit, we'd be glad to recommend something.

For example, I have an Intel E8400. It's a dual core processor that's clocked at 3GHz. Mine is overclocked to 4GHz. With the right parts, they're pretty easy to overclock.
    edited December 2008
    Well, I dont play games or nothing, but I do some movie editing (minor) as well as being online with multiple web pages running. I just want it to process the information quickly. I have FIOS with the fastest speed, but it just doesnt seem fast to me. Let me know what you think I need and I'll check into my budget. I dont want to spend $1000, but am willing to piece it together slowly and affordably. Thanks for the replies and all the help.
    edited December 2008
    Get a quad core. Core 2 Quad Q8200 would be nice.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    the Q8200 has lower cache than the Q6600 but runs on the 45nm, so it depends on which you want more.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited December 2008
    I imagine he doesnt know what the difference is between those, personally I dont know whats better, to have a 45nm over 55 or a bigger cache.
    Is it the smaller the nm, ie 45 will overclock better than a 55nm because they give off less heat? To me he sounds like a complete novice and I doubt very much he will overclock. If he only uses the internet and does some movie editing then I'de say go for a Q6600.
    edited December 2008
    Both are good. The Q6600 runs hotter and overclocks easier due to its high multiplier. The Q8200 runs cooler, at stock speeds performs roughly 5-10% better than the Q6600 IIRC, and overclocks less because of it's low multiplier.

A 45nm in a P45 board like the poster suggested is my choice. P45 boards rock blazing high FSBs so the difference should be made up a bit with the Q8200 if overclocking is performed. Without overclocking, it's still cheap and fast and will do everything needed, and it'll run cooler.
    edited December 2008
    well, just like revorocks posted, i dont know all that stuff. im not looking to spend $250 on a processor. i was looking at one for about $65 - $75. do i really need a quad core super duper mack daddy light speed processor? i dont think so. i just want one thats not too pricey, easy to install and runs most of what im doing without hangups. is that possible? or maybe the motherboard im looking at is way to advanced for me? it just seemed like it had alot going on at a reasonable price. im sure everyone has their favorite things. im just looking for some input on what to look for. thanks for the help and all the replies.
    edited December 2008
    That's why I asked you what your budget was. The processors I suggested are both $180. They aren't "super duper mack daddy light speed" processors, but instead represent what we believe to be the best bang-for-the-buck on the market right now for people doing stuff like video editing. It's not about playing favorites. It's about trying to encourage you to spend your money wisely so you'll get the best value for your dollars.

$120 will get you a dual-core if you want to cut costs. It'll play games just fine and should do a little video work if you wanted.

If you're only willing to spend $65-$75 for a processor, you're better off not building a computer and buying a pre-built from Dell or HP or something. $65-$75 will not get you anything aside from an email checker and solitaire playing machine.

Have you looked at Thrax's budget PC buyer's guide? The whole thing should cost under $600.

//EDIT: Hi, Peter. Just updated your link to the newer Holiday version.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    Completely Stupid:

For what you're after -- light video editing and Internet use -- the quad core processor really will make a noticeable difference for a minimal investment. It's worth a couple of extra bucks. You won't be spending any money on a video card, so you could have a fully functional computer with the Q6600 quad core in it for around $500. Including a case (You supply monitor, keyboard, mouse).

Pete, Rob:

As awesome as the Budget Guide is, I think it's inappropriate for this fellow since the budget PC is a gaming system at heart. The dual core and 8800GT run counter to what the OP needs, and all the jargon is probably confusing to someone whose opening question is, Does the motherboard include a processor?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It's not a definitive guide. It's a place to start. It's proof that you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get quality. :) The system is very expandable.
    edited December 2008
    I cooked this up on Newegg for $577...

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 $184.99

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard $96.99

MEMORY: OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 OCZ2N800SR4GK $47.99

HARD DRIVE: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $54.99

OPTICAL DRIVE: SAMSUNG 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model TS-H653N $22.99

VIDEO CARD: MSI R4350-D512H Radeon HD 4350 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $39.99

POWER SUPPLY: SILVERSTONE ST400 400W ATX 12V 2.2 Power Supply $29.99

OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD $99.99

Subtotal: $577.92

Add a case and you have a computer!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Khaos, overall that's the makings for great system, but I have a couple reservations:

1. Considering Completely's experience level, is 64 bit Windows advisable? How readily available are the drivers he will need.

2. Is the OCZ RAM you recommended 2.1v spec? It's good RAM, but so many inexperienced builders get frustrated when they don't set the BIOS correctly for the voltage requirements.

3. Are you sure that video card is enough? I don't doe any video editing so I honestly don't know.

That's a super processor-motherboard combination and a knockout price on a quality PSU.
    edited December 2008
    first of all, WOW! i didnt realize that there were so many people out there reading my little post. that is cool. ok, now onto the subject at hand.

I do know about overclocking, but i dont care about that (ive never done it, but know what it is). i have 2 video cards (in 2 different computers) so there is no need for those, i dont believe. they are both nvidia cards, one is a 5500, and the other is a 5200, i believe. i bought them for the sake of using dual monitors. now as far as spending $180 on a processor, im ok with that, but like i said, i was trying to keep it within a certain range. if i need to spend that much to get what i want, then i will. the motherboard that i posted up top is from newegg, and that is where i like to search and get products from. even though my name says "completely stupid", im really not. just un-knowledgable on alot of the terms. it is great that so many of you are willing to help.

as far as all the stuff from newegg listed, i have a power supply i can use, but all of the other stuff seems to be within a good budget. will my video cards work good enough with that kind of system, and if not, what should i be looking for in another video card? once again, thanks for all the comments and replies. you guys are great and i really do appreciate it.
    edited December 2008
    You'll probably need a new video card for the motherboard. I bet the ones you have plug into an AGP slot, and your motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot. PCI-e is what the board has. It's the current standard for graphics cards. Since you don't play games, the card Khaos suggested would be a fine choice. It'll do HD video playback and handle movies etc.
    edited December 2008
    first of all, WOW! i didnt realize that there were so many people out there reading my little post. that is cool.
    We're good like that! Welcome to Icrontic. :D
    i have 2 video cards (in 2 different computers) so there is no need for those, i dont believe. they are both nvidia cards, one is a 5500, and the other is a 5200, i believe.
    Unfortunately, those video cards you have won't work with the ASUS P5Q motherboard. That's why I added a very low cost, but more modern, video card to the parts I posted above. The Radeon HD4350 that I'm suggesting won't play the latest 3D games, but it WILL allow you to use the new Windows Vista interface with no problems and it connects to a PCI-E slot on the motherboard, which is what the ASUS P5Q -- and all modern motherboards, for that matter -- has on it.
    i bought them for the sake of using dual monitors.
    The Radeon HD4350 can output to two monitors without the need for a secondary video card.
    even though my name says "completely stupid", im really not. just un-knowledgable on alot of the terms.
    This goes without saying, bud. If you were completely stupid you wouldn't be here at Icrontic in the first place. As for the knowledge bit, we can certainly help there.
    i have a power supply i can use, but all of the other stuff seems to be within a good budget.
    Can you post the specs of your current power supply please, or better yet a picture of the label on the side of it? It may well be that it will work with the parts I posted above, but if it doesn't, that Silverstone power supply that I posted is an absolute steal at that price. I know this sounds funny perhaps, but nothing contributes more to overall system stability than a good, quality power supply!
    Buddy J wrote:
    You'll probably need a new video card for the motherboard. I bet the ones you have plug into an AGP slot, and your motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot. PCI-e is what the board has. It's the current standard for graphics cards. Since you don't play games, the card Khaos suggested would be a fine choice. It'll do HD video playback and handle movies etc.
    Yeah, unfortunately the older gfx cards won't work with the new mobo. The HD4350 is so nice for this case because it supports DirectX 10.1 so it will handle Windows Vista like a champ, and it also provides H.264 acceleration, HDMI support, HDCP compliance and even audio over HDMI. Such an awesome budget card, especially for a multimedia/HTPC system. Oh, and it doesn't even need a fan so it is totally silent. :D
    Leonardo wrote:
    Considering Completely's experience level, is 64 bit Windows advisable? How readily available are the drivers he will need.
    I had the same reservations, Leo, but after using that exact version of Windows (Vista 64 Home Premium) on my last build, which also had a Radeon 4800-series video card, I can say with confidence that the drivers are a non-issue at this point. Oh, and I must say, I really like Windows Vista a lot. This was my first build using Vista and it went super smooth and Vista has been more stable while overclocking than XP was in the first few years. Corrupted NTFS file indexes, anyone? Heh heh.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Is the OCZ RAM you recommended 2.1v spec? It's good RAM, but so many inexperienced builders get frustrated when they don't set the BIOS correctly for the voltage requirements.
    Hm, that's a good point. I just checked and it is indeed 2.1V. Most motherboards these days are very good about reading SPD and X.M.P. info, though -- and they always initially boot up with Fail Safe Defaults. I am not too concerned there.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Are you sure that video card is enough? I don't doe any video editing so I honestly don't know.
    Should work perfectly since video editing is still a function of the CPU. That's why the quad core processor is so useful in this case.

I do know about overclocking, but i dont care about that (ive never done it, but know what it is).
    Well, sooner or later we all seem to get that itch, you know? When you do feel adventurous, the Q6600 processor and ASUS P5Q motherboard (As well as OCZ memory) are all phenomenal for overclocking. Every single one of those components is renowned for their ability to really soar when it comes to overclocking. But I can understand how for this initial build, your focus is just on getting something working that is affordable and meets your needs.
    edited December 2008
    well, my video cards are pci, just not express. is that gonna make a difference? also, the 2 cards i have are NOT in the same computer (not sure if i mentioned that before). i have one in the computer that i use the most, and the other in my, how you say, spare computer that is used as a back up. like i said before, i am just trying to do this with as little expense as possible. so buying more parts that i already have, just plain sucks, but if i have to, then i have to.

the power supply is a 450 watt, not sure about the brand or specs, cause its at home, but i can post that later.
    as for windows vista, we have it here at work, and im not a big fan of it. maybe cause i dont use it on a regular basis, but it seems tougher to get to certain files and folders to me. maybe its just me and the things im used to.

i hope this helps for now. i will post later specs on the power supply, and start looking into the purchasing of these products all of you have suggested. once again, thank you for all the help.
    edited December 2008
    The more I think about it, the more it seems your motherboard is a hindrance to this project... Did you buy the board yet? If you didn't, I think going the AMD route will be better for you.
    edited December 2008
    no i havent bought the board yet. i saw it on newegg as an open box special (about $65, and with all that stuff going on with it, i thought it was a good price. what should i be looking for then? can you give me some specs as to what i should try and get.

this is what i do with my computer......
    basic internet stuff (obviously), browsing, email, sports web pages, etc.

video editing, meaning i try to create my own videos with music and converted video clips from movies and television shows (using nero software, and also just got the sonys vegas software, so ill be trying that as well)

i also like to listen to streaming music (i have a website that i go to) while im doing things, so i would need something that can handle both (editing and listening)

honestly, thats about it that i can think of.
    once again, i cant thank you guys enough for the help. i hope that i have not been too much of a pain. im just looking for someone whos smarter than me (which really isnt that hard) to help me build the right system.

i would also like to say that i want to put in a large hardrive as well as a large amount of ram, so that will help with processing, i believe.

if i am wrong, then please tell me.
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    The more I think about it, the more it seems your motherboard is a hindrance to this project... Did you buy the board yet? If you didn't, I think going the AMD route will be better for you.
    You might be on to something here.

If the video cards are PCI, and Completely prefers XP over Vista... Then perhaps a $200 AMD quad core CPU/Motherboard/RAM combo is in order.
    edited December 2008
    ok, khaos, that sounds interesting. where would i find something like that? is that a package deal that most places sale, or just AMD specific?
    edited December 2008
    oh, you guys can call me mike, if you prefer. completely just seems a little weird! lol
    edited December 2008
    Sure thing, Mike. The AMD route is not a package deal, per se. It would be pieced together the same as the Intel system, but what we're thinking is that the AMD route would be cheaper and would probably reuse more of your existing hardware.

The jump to the P5Q motherboard makes a lot of older hardware incompatible, whereas AMD processors have some decent motherboards available with backwards compatibility for older hardware like your Nvidia 5500.

If nobody else updates this with some specific suggestions, I will later on after work. I'm also not as up to date on AMD hardware these days, so perhaps it'd be better if somebody else weighs in.
    edited December 2008
    Cool deal Mike. I was thinking you'd do well with a

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $99

and

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz 3MB L2 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - $80.

The motherboard has integrated graphics that'll handle what you're doing, and the processor is inexpensive and powerful enough to do everything you need.

Spend the money on 4GB of RAM, and you'll be good to go.
    edited December 2008
    ok, now, is there any other kinds of stuff i could look for? not that i dont appreciate what you mentioned, but i kinda like options, ya know? should i just look for the same specs as what is on those items you mentioned, or does it change from piece to piece? i guess what i mean is, is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz the same as any other 2.7Ghz processor? i dont want to buy junk, but i do like options. are there names i should stay away from (from all of your personal experiences)?

kinda like buying a car. im not going to buy it just cause someone said that it runs great. i have to be comfortable with it as well. once again, thanks buddy j for the info. you have helped me more than you realize. i REALLY DO appreciate all the help!

and to khaos, thanks for the help while youre at work. ill look forward to seeing your next post.
    edited December 2008
    and oh yea, the prices are great from what you mentioned. also, i forgot to ask about the integrated graphics on the motherboard. does that mean i dont need my cards?
    edited December 2008
    and oh yea, one more thing (damn, maybe i really AM stupid). lol.

i have a 5.1 sound system that i have hooked up now, but it isnt being used to its fullest capacity (the cables are not all plugged in for true surround sound). is that part of the motherboard, or do i look for that, or just get a sound card and add it?
    edited December 2008
    Here's a review on the processor, Mike. Bit-Tech sums it up nicely, so I linked to their conclusion.

The board I recommended is known as a good all-around board. The nice thing about it is it'll meet your current needs and offer great upgradability for whatever you want to do in the future. If you decide to game, it'll take new video cards without issue. If you decide to upgrade to a faster processor, it'll support existing and all the upcoming AMD processors for the foreseeable future.

All 2.7GHz processors aren't created equal. But in the case of the one recommended, it's right about where it needs to be, and it'll certainly meet your needs.

If you went with my recent suggestion, you could find an inexpensive 4GB DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 kit and be good to go. Either would be okay.

EDIT// The board has integrated sound that'd work for you. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128

And, yes, you don't need a video card. The video is built in to the motherboard. For web browsing and watching movies, integrated is OK.
    edited December 2008
    ok, cool. thanks again for the help. i will look into that board. im glad there are nice fellows such as yourselves to help us little people out.

on a side note, i know this isnt the forum for it, but i do have a small question. trying to sum up in as little as possible, i have 2 computers, 3 hard drives. 2 80 gigs, and 1 40 gig. 1 80 gig powers the backup computer. the other 80 is currently powering the one i use. the 40 is my back up drive. now, the 80 gig is the original drive from teh computer that i use now. it almost crashed, i replaced it with the 40 a few years ago, and have recently found that i could erase and reinstall on my 80.

the question is.... if a hard drive crashes, or is about to crash, is it totally no good anymore? i mean, if i erase EVERYTHING on the drive, and start it all from scratch, will i have the same problems as before?
    i used killdisk to wipe it out, but it seems that internet explorer runs a little slower sometimes. just curious about that.

thanks again