Intel e8400

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hello, I just ran some test on my retail e8400 and it seems to be unstable. I tried calling intel about it but they told me that using Prime95 and Intelburntest results does not qualify as evidence of cpu failure. So I asked them what could I use to identify the problem, the operator told me to download the intel processor id ulitity, which didn't report any errors. I just ran memtest86+ this morning and the ram is 100% stable so that should ruled out that. What should I do? O and they asked me if i had another motherboard to test my cpu on which I don't. Should I lie to them?

Specs
Intel E8400 SLB9J
Asus P5Q Bios Ver.1611
4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
EVGA 9800GTX+
PC Power & Cooling 750watt

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Overclocked? What voltage? What are your temperatures?
  • edited December 2008
    Speed: Stock
    Voltage: Auto
    Temps Core 1 20 C. Core 2 33 C. Readings from Real temp 2.70

Core 2 seem to be stuck as it is always at 33 until core 1 goes above 33 C.
    edited December 2008
    Is it unstable at idle? what about full load? What are the temps at full load?

Your second core will be at 33 until the core 1 jumps because core 1 does all the work most of the time.
  • edited December 2008
    It's stable at idle most the time but I had rare incidents where it crashed, i think twice. The max load temp on the cpu with intelburntest is 38 C when the weather is not so cold.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    but I had rare incidents where it crashed
    Would you be a bit more specific, please. What makes you think the processor crashed, and not other hardware?

To me, it seems like 20C, room temperature, is unrealistic for any operating CPU core. You might try Hardware Monitor or SpeedFan for a second temperature reading. Who knows, perhaps one of the cores is not functioning properly. Under Task Manager/Performance, does it show a moving graph for both cores?
    edited December 2008
    Not at all unexpected. My 3.5GHz Core 2 Duo idles at 29 C in the winter.

//EDIT: Centigrade is dumb.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm not using the stock heat sink, currently using the zerotherm zen fz120. The thing is when it crashed I wasn't stressing it. I was only leaving it on for a overnight download, so i wasn't there to see what happen; but doesn't it mean the cpu is unstable when it can't even pass the prime95 or intelburntest on stock setting. During the prime95 test one core would stop working after maybe in a hour but the other would continue on. The test I ran is in place large ftts.

I havn't really overclocked the cpu because it wouldn't pass the these tests on stock setting, but i did fiddle around with a minor overclock but I've never set the vcore over 1.365 and it was only for a very short period of time.

About the Temps I also have the pc probe reading which is 17 C but it doesn't show individual cores temps.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    How long have you had the CPU? Sounds like you have a stuck sensor on 1 core.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    it mean the cpu is unstable when it can't even pass the prime95 or intelburntest on stock setting. During the prime95 test one core would stop working after maybe in a hour but the other would continue on.
    I agree. It does seem the CPU is defective. I agree with Ryder, too. Not passing Prime and a stuck sensor, yeah, I think your assessment is correct. Under similar circumstances one might also suspect the power supply, but given the 20C reading and one core not working during testing, I think we can rule out the PSU.

Try calling Intel again. Maybe you can reach a more experienced person who is more amenable to third party utilities readings.