Opinions on Seagate 1.5TB monster?

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Anybody out there got one of these?

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Well apparently there was a bunch of firmware issues up until very recently. Seagate claims they have their shit sorted out now however.

We ordered 4 of them to put in a drobo at work so I guess I'll know in about a week or so if I have to do any sort of odd updates.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    no but I'll take one I've nearly filled up my 500 gig hd with movies, music, and software. All of which is legit. I love having access to the MSAA
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I guess you need that 1.5TB for bible music then?
  • edited December 2008
    jared wrote:
    Well apparently there was a bunch of firmware issues up until very recently. Seagate claims they have their shit sorted out now however.

We ordered 4 of them to put in a drobo at work so I guess I'll know in about a week or so if I have to do any sort of odd updates.

Latest comments on Newegg are saying they are now shipping with the new firmware. With my luck, I'll get an old crusty one from the bottom of the pile.
    FreeC8675 wrote:

And that's directed at... who?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    i guess the deal with the firmware was that it was a huge issue if you were raiding them (controller would see the firmware issue as a drive failure and force a rebuild). The non-raid issue is just random slowdowns every now and then. I've had one for a couple days and I haven't noticed anything.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I've been looking for a storage drive and I think I found my choice.
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    Oh I'd use that 1.5TB :vimp:
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I love having access to the MSAA

Multiple Sclerosis Association of America?

Michigan state Auctioneers Association?

Many Stupid-Ass Acronyms?

Wuddisit and where can I get some?
    edited December 2008
    it's the Microsoft Academic Alliance, I'd guess. We get free windows and other assorted MS products.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    With my luck, I'll get an old crusty one from the bottom of the pile.
    ...and 35 pre-loaded, completely useless, dumbass, toolbars just waiting to install on your browser.
    Many Stupid-Ass Acronyms?
    Thank you. Two billion acronyms in this world and everyone seems to think everyone knows all of them. (We're all guilty, but we must overcome. :) )
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Oh I'd use that 1.5TB :vimp:

:honoes:;D
  • edited December 2008
    Price went up $10 since I posted this. :rarr:
    edited December 2008
    Price went up $10 since I posted this. :rarr:

yeah. i think it was around $120 at thanksgiving.
  • edited December 2008
    Price went back down to $130, but since I don't have enough impossible choices in my life I found the 1TB Hitachi deathstar is only $80 after rebate... GRRRR