Laptop won't POST

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Hardware
So before I turn in my work laptop to get it repaired I wanna be sure it ain't something I can fix as it would have to be turned into HP for repairs since we don't have a tech dept. Basically I press the power button and it spins the fans up and things are normal for all but maybe 2 seconds then turns right off and stays off. Thing is I turned it on the other day when this started and it booted up fine but I got it set to sleep relatively quickly so I think it did that becuase I didn't come back to it quickly enough. So when I tried waking it this started happening. No screen, nothing.

Any ideas? My thinking is that I am hosed and need to take my bible music off before I send it in:p

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Hi - you can try this option: Unplug laptop, remove battery and hold down power button for 30 to 45 seconds. Then re-power and give it a try. This is called a power drain. Also, I would consider changing the 'sleep' mode to eliminate this potentially as the problem. Also, try re-seatting your memory stick(s). Additionally are you receiving any POST beeps?

RWB wrote:
    So before I turn in my work laptop to get it repaired I wanna be sure it ain't something I can fix as it would have to be turned into HP for repairs since we don't have a tech dept. Basically I press the power button and it spins the fans up and things are normal for all but maybe 2 seconds then turns right off and stays off. Thing is I turned it on the other day when this started and it booted up fine but I got it set to sleep relatively quickly so I think it did that becuase I didn't come back to it quickly enough. So when I tried waking it this started happening. No screen, nothing.

Any ideas? My thinking is that I am hosed and need to take my bible music off before I send it in:p
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I'll give that a shot when I am back with the laptop tomorrow(300miles away atm) and report back, no beep codes either though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    If you are concerned about unauthorized data on the laptop, get an inexpensive 2.5" external USB enclosure. Connect it to another computer and do what you think is prudent to do. I don't know how much time you have, but you can find USB 2.5" enclosure on eBay for under $10. You can also get them at computer stores. Most large chain computer stores will also have IDE-2.5" converters so you could put the 2.5" drive directly on a PC's IDE cable. (you didn't state whether PATA or SATA.)
  • edited December 2008
    Hello again - You stated that this was an Hewlett Packard brand. Could you give me the specs. for your laptop? Basically, the model, cpu, mob, etc.

RWB wrote:
    I'll give that a shot when I am back with the laptop tomorrow(300miles away atm) and report back, no beep codes either though.