Monitor shuts off

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hi,
I have a pc that needs Windows reinstalled, due to no boot to desktop or even safe mode options. Ive reset the CMOS and bios to default. Im getting no POST beeps and monitor will power on sometimes and sometimes not. If it does power up it says NO SIGNAL and shuts off. Im trying to determine what is wrong. Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
Delta

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Does the monitor work correctly when plugged into another PC?
  • edited December 2008
    Yes. Also, Im trying to use the restore disc that came with the pc and everything works fine during the restore for about 10 secs. then the monitor shuts off, but the tower stays on. If I dont try to do anything (such as use restore disc) the monitor will stay powered on. Im trying to determine what hardware issue is happening. Thanks for the reply Thrax!

Thrax wrote:
    Does the monitor work correctly when plugged into another PC?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It sounds like the video card or onboard GPU is overheating. Please tell us a little about the computer's configuration.
  • edited December 2008
    Config is: CPU - AMD Athlon XP 3200+ / 2.2 GHz
    Onboard gpu chipset - NVIDIA nForce2 IGP
    Memory - 512 MB DDR SDRAM 333 MHz PC2700
    Harddrive - 1 x 160 GB - Standard - IDE - 7200 rpm

Thanks Leo! If you need anything further, I'll supply the info.:bigggrin:
    Leonardo wrote:
    It sounds like the video card or onboard GPU is overheating. Please tell us a little about the computer's configuration.
    edited December 2008
    If not already done:

Open the computer and clean the dust and lint from all fans and heatsinks. Used compressed air and a small paint brush. If using a paint brush, ensure that you touch the metal frame of the computer's case to discharge any static electricity from your body.

Overheating due to dust buildup may not be the problem, but this is a good maintenance and troubleshooting step anyway.
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks - Ive noticed some maintenance that needs to be done as far as cleanin, but Im trying to find the hardware issue. I believe its the MOB, but I guess it could be the HD? I say MOB, due to no POST error beeps when I remove peripherals. What do you say?
    edited December 2008
    no POST error beeps when I remove peripherals
    What peripherals?
    but I guess it could be the HD
    Could be. Can you boot into Safe Mode? You might try a Check Disk operation on C:\. That can sometimes cure problems with seemingly unexplainable causes.
  • edited December 2008
    Peripherals being -
    HD
    Network Card
    Memory
    CD Drive, etc.

Still, no POST beeps?

I can't boot into Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Command Prompt, etc.
    edited December 2008
    Oh, OK, those are not peripherals, those are components! :)

A peripheral is something external to the computer, such as a mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, or external hard drive.

Is this a laptop or desktop computer?
  • edited December 2008
    Ok - sorry. Those were removed as well :bigggrin:.
    This is a desktop eMachine T3256 platform.
    Thank you for hanging in there with me.
    I expect to learn something here with you, as Ive read a lot of your posts:wink:.
    edited December 2008
    Ive read a lot of your posts
    I apologize. :eek2: You now have less than a 50/50 prospect of technical success. :eek3:

Please, before we continue, we need to rule out heat buildup. Please clean the dust out of the motherboard, fans, and heatsinks. Run the computer with side of the case off.

If that doesn't change anything, run Check Disk with both "Automatically fix..." and "Scan for and..." boxes checked.
  • edited December 2008
    :bigggrin: I cant boot into the operating system (Windows XP Home). However, I will say that this tower does need to be cleaned. I will do this, just for the sake of eliminating this possibility of over heating. But, I fail to realize why the POST beeps would not be alerted with everything un-attached?
    Thank you Leo for continuing with this thread!