Official Sony store or retailer?

geodavegeodave Arizona
edited January 2009 in Hardware
Hello All,

I went to an official Sony store (Sony Style) today to check out their Sony VAIO notebooks. I explained what I had in mind to one of their friendly salesmen, and he helped explain some of the differences between notebook models and prices. When I asked him why their notebook prices (from the official Sony store) were higher than the exact same Sony VAIO notebooks from Best Buy and Circuit City, he said that's because the notebooks sold at official Sony stores are configured better and are made of higher quality materials than those sold at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. In other words, Sony sells the lesser quality notebooks to retailers while reserving the higher quality merch to customers that buy direct from their official stores.

Now, I know this is true in the automotive industry (e.g. buying car parts directly from the dealer vs. from say Pep Boys or Checker), but I wasn't sure if it were true for laptops, or whether it was simply a sales pitch he was trained to use.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It's complete bullshit. :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    The Sony guy is full of crap. Also, buying parts from a dealership doesn't mean you are getting the best quality. It just means you're getting the parts that were officially approved by the corporate bean counters and paying a premium for their stamp.

Buying aftermarket parts, whether computers or automotive or anything else, is great if you know what you're getting.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Apparently the shady New York City electronics dealers now work for the Sony Store.
  • geodavegeodave Arizona
    edited January 2009
    Thank you all for your replies.