Problem with downgrading a Dell studio 1737 to windows xp

13»

Comments

• edited March 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    HEYY!! QCh.. hows it hangoing... well thus far ive remedied one problem.. the AHCI

I did this by using nlite and customizing an installtion of windows xp... it loaded the necessary intel drivers and now i have AHCI enabeled (it was also enabeled during the install without even the slightest hint of BSOD)

HOWEVER, the unknown device is still there.. therefore it cannot be AHCI... ill get back to you in a few

I'm quite new to this & am not a techie so please forgive me if I'm being ingnorant, but where'd you get the necessary intel driver from? I've tried their website but for some reason the controller I need supported isn't in the list (Intel(R) 82801IMB I/O controller hub (ICH9M-B)).

Thanks
  • edited March 2009
    rfekkes wrote:
    Hello all,

I am also busy trying to install XP on my Dell 1737. Is is going fine but i got 1 device that just will not install (excluding ACPI\PNP0C32\0 and the 1394 controller wich i left alone for the moment)
    The device i am talking about is the "Audio device on High defintion audio bus"
    I installed the IDT sound driver wich enabels my sound so that works. I also installed the MS patch "kb888111" with no results. The device id is:
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2802&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&A74B963&0&0101

Does somebody knows how to install this device?

My sound's installed fine. There were two files I think that I needed to get it working. The IDT driver which you've already installed & an "unkown audio device patch" that I got from someone who'd posted all the drivers he thought were required. If you're still having trouble, let me know & I'll post the location of the file.
  • edited March 2009
    I'm quite new to this & am not a techie so please forgive me if I'm being ingnorant, but where'd you get the necessary intel driver from? I've tried their website but for some reason the controller I need supported isn't in the list (Intel(R) 82801IMB I/O controller hub (ICH9M-B)).

Thanks

Just in case someone else stumbles across this, I thought I'd mention that I've found the controller. It's embeded within the GM45 Express chipset.
  • EduTechEduTech Birmingham
    edited March 2009
    Evening Guys,

Well my first post so hi :) (i've been lurking for a while sorry) (Edit: 4th then lol)

Anyhow,

This has been doing my head in for weeks now!!! still have (!) on 1394 Net Adapter and i have (?) Unknown Device

Someone said the Unknown Device was the touch button's, but they work fine me... so is there anything else this could be?

Many Thanks

James.
  • edited June 2009
    rfekkes wrote:
    Hello all,

I am also busy trying to install XP on my Dell 1737. Is is going fine but i got 1 device that just will not install (excluding ACPI\PNP0C32\0 and the 1394 controller wich i left alone for the moment)
    The device i am talking about is the "Audio device on High defintion audio bus"
    I installed the IDT sound driver wich enabels my sound so that works. I also installed the MS patch "kb888111" with no results. The device id is:
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2802&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&A74B963&0&0101

Does somebody knows how to install this device?

I had a similar problem. But with me it was the HD audio CODEC which wouldn't install. But finally I was able to resolve it by downloading the R203425 driver from the dell driver downloads website. Now I've got that working.

I still have two errors but they're the same as everybody has I guess, the 1394 Networkcard and the unknown device which has something to do with the ACPI. Whatever that may be :-)
  • edited July 2009
    I've had my 1737 for about 4+ months now and I have all devices installed in working within a couple days when I first received it because I didn't want to bother with Vista.

I will be uploading all the drivers I found so you can get rid of the exclamation marks. Right now I don't remember exactly what they were, but I found a thread after doing some intense research on Google.

They explained what the devices were and provided the extra drivers you needed to install the devices.

I will place the link on my thread regarding DPC issues with the Studio 15/17 line on the Native Instruments forum once I upload them to a central location.
  • edited August 2009
    djquartz wrote:
    I've had my 1737 for about 4+ months now and I have all devices installed in working within a couple days when I first received it because I didn't want to bother with Vista.

I will be uploading all the drivers I found so you can get rid of the exclamation marks. Right now I don't remember exactly what they were, but I found a thread after doing some intense research on Google.

They explained what the devices were and provided the extra drivers you needed to install the devices.

I will place the link on my thread regarding DPC issues with the Studio 15/17 line on the Native Instruments forum once I upload them to a central location.

This would actually be very helpful...(Sorry first time poster *thumbs up*)
    I'm having a really hard time finding a battery/power management driver for the 1737 with XP...thing is, no one else seems to have this problem thus there are no solutions either! *Whimper* Help meh?
  • edited August 2009
    where do i get xp drivers for dell studio 1737... please help me.. i need them very much..

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Please limit the number of requests for the same thing to one.
  • edited August 2009
    My sound's installed fine. There were two files I think that I needed to get it working. The IDT driver which you've already installed & an "unkown audio device patch" that I got from someone who'd posted all the drivers he thought were required. If you're still having trouble, let me know & I'll post the location of the file.

hey wandering please tell me the location of those files man.. i really need those xp drivers.. i m doin .net studies but on vista i can't run .net and i m running behind the syllabus.. please help me out man..:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:
    thanks buddy.. i m waiting for ur reply...:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:(:(:(:(
  • JrlairdJrlaird Pennsylvania, USA
    edited October 2010
    I recently got a Dell Studio 1737 and loaded XP Pro 32 Bit on it.

most of the drivers were located on dells website by using the model of the component I was looking for in dells keyword search on the D & D page.

Video from Intel 4500MHD (requires .net framework prior to the install), WLAN 1397 Half Mini card 4312bg from dell--file R261121, LAN Broadcom BCM5784M from Dell --file R200062.

I continued to locate drivers in this way and am still trying to get the 1394 and the unknown located, all in all I have 6 hours into this system loading the drivers for XP and It's working fine so far.
  • JrlairdJrlaird Pennsylvania, USA
    edited October 2010
    where do i get xp drivers for dell studio 1737... please help me.. i need them very much..

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help...

I recently got a Dell Studio 1737 and loaded XP Pro 32 Bit on it.

most of the drivers were located on dells website by using the model of the component I was looking for in dells keyword search on the D & D page.

Video from Intel 4500MHD (requires .net framework prior to the install), WLAN 1397 Half Mini card 4312bg from dell--file R261121, LAN Broadcom BCM5784M from Dell --file R200062.

I continued to locate drivers in this way and am still trying to get the 1394 and the unknown located, all in all I have 6 hours into this system loading the drivers for XP and It's working fine so far
  • edited March 2011
    Hello everyone, I want to thank people for there input on this thread. It has helped me downgrade to XP.

Got everything working just the 1394 but don't use that anyways. Did anyone get a fix for 1394?

Thank You and Regards

uiber_mants
  • edited March 2011
    Hi, i have a DELL Studio 1737 too. and i need to install a Win XP version on my vista (i have a soft that aint compatible with vista at all) however, i can't seem to find the drivers compatible with XP (dell doesnt provide them) can you help me out?

thank you
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    Hey all (thank god this site doesn't purge inactive members on the regular)

Well here is the issue thus far.

I am currently installing XP on my dell studio 1737

Installed most drivers without a problem, but there are still two devices which are giving me issues (I think i managed to find version 9.xx for my intel chipset).

I have a yellow Exclamation point over the "1394 Net Adapter" and a yellow question mark in other devices .. The only information i can gather from the second device is "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system"

I feel this could be an issue with the drivers for my Intel PM45 chipset with an ICH9 South bridge, but i dled the most current drivers (unless someone has anything better)

Also, this problem may or may not be related (i thinkk they are) I have been trying to enable AHCI on XP for a couple of hours and i keep getting the BSOD... I followed a tutorial and i keep getting the same issue... the tutorials can be found here

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-enable-AHCI-on-Intel-ICH9-under-X-t109450.html

Any help will be appreciated

thanks all!!!
  • edited March 2011
    by the way i am on Vista 64b
    Darcy212 wrote:
    Hi, i have a DELL Studio 1737 too. and i need to install a Win XP version on my vista (i have a soft that aint compatible with vista at all) however, i can't seem to find the drivers compatible with XP (dell doesnt provide them) can you help me out?

thank you
  • edited September 2011
    i had been putting up with vista's inconviences, but the last straw was that the file search could not find files with "4004" in them, returned other results so i can no longer trust it (target file was "UF4004.pdf") looking for "UF" did work.

my setup (so far)
    DELLXPPROSP2CD: from net, added ich9 sata drivers (STOR_allOS) using nlite only and modding TXTSETUP.SIF according to the OEM file (added/edited items simular to dell not intels "disk1" method) provided then ISO'd, (used process monitor to find where intel installer places the files).
    sound: R214424 (1555 studio) UAA may be required, (KB835221* older, KB888111 newer - not sure if same or different)
    display: current ati drivers with modded HW ID's - mobilitymodder dont work for me, eventually installed CCC dont know how, maybe the driver needed to be in or had to "corrupt" the computer with the install manager ("severe" BSOD). my HW is 256MB according to DELL, but the software says 512MB (maybe i chose the wrong vendor to modify) i looked at the mobilitymodder help file, it says what it changes to set the memory. i looked, and mine is set to 128mb, so looks like it could be 512mb.
    network drivers: from intel and broadcom
    HDMI audio drivers from Realtek's site: "ATI HDMI Audio Device" (no idea if it works, there is no card to select like in vista)
    bluetooth:idontuseit (not sure if vista:\drivers work)
    Chipset drivers: intel infinst_autol (i had to disconnect USB stuff else USB dont work($))
    mouse: R244796 (stock)
    1394: ---- (r5c833) (stock, i think, tried stuff to get the sd card going) 1394 is untested.
    PNP0C32:nothing, vista shows there is no driver(#).
    1394net:nothing - an artifact, probably showing it has network capacity.
    CIR: R196531 (stock, Vista:\drivers\input)

PLEASE note, to get the SD Cards to work, i needed to install
    "Hotfix for Windows XP that adds support for SDHC cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428
    i am not sure if this is needed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921413

if you are going to have a vista/xp hybrid (dualboot) ensure that you make your XP partition as Active before you start setup otherwise it will damage your vista partition (in order to boot from it).
    then you should be able to switch back by setting active instead of using a manager.
    cant verify the advice, i damaged mine as vista was active, but reinstalling XP with the XP active partition set, the XP install drive is C: whereas if vista was active, vista would be C: and XP would be whatever. if you are going to fix the vista boot problem caused by XP setup you need to use (find and download) BootSect.exe, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 (not sure yet if i want to add XP to the vista boot menu, right now i am changing it by setting active on the appropriate partition).

"dell system software" R196272 updates XP (148MB), this does not do the above updates. Orca says it contains 12 items (for up to 24 langs - reason why so big) KB885855 KB895953 KB896256 KB900722 KB908673 KB914642* KB920295 KB922006 KB937930 KB945436* KB946629 KB949764*.

another mod i did was that since my pc has two hdds and i like to save on power for more time, i copied all to the second disk using UBCD4WIN and remove the first, then vista wouldnt boot. i had to edit the BCD using Vista:\windows\system32\bcdedit so that "device" (both) and "osdevice" read "boot".

Enjoy,
    Charlie.
    *these items are not provided in SP3 (316MB), probably old. everything else is inc the SD fix.
    $headphones,HDD's,KB/MS.
    #
    i saw on another forum a "driver" for the button, but it is "no driver" just as in vista. it had alot of other items in it so here it is trimmed. (put in INF file)File start:
    [Version]
    Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
    Class=System
    ClassGuid={4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%MSFT%
    DriverVer=06/21/2006,6.0.6000.16386

[GENDEV_SYS.NTx86]
    "Direct Application Launch Button" = NO_DRV, *PNP0C32
    File end.
    Source=http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-dell-studio-1535-windows-xp-drivers/ (see april 2009 comment)
    Download=
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NZARCR07

i remember what this does now. it runs the media (whatever it is) when you press the button. the lazy dell people did not put a "application" key beside the right windows key on the keyboard so i used keytweak to use the media key for the app key. and everytime i pressed the media key for the app key function the media thing would run as well so i had to sabotage it. i wont miss this function. the white paper (DirAppLaunch.docx) says a task is needed for the key to run.

=+=+=+
    contrary to the other opinion, bluetooth does indeed show in the device manager when it is not installed, just no (i) on it. it appears in the Human Interface Devices (when i have set the wireless switch to turn on and off the WPAN).
    HID-compliant consumer control device:
    VID_413C&PID_8158&Col02
    USB Human Interface Device: (these correspond to "Littlerock keyboard/mouse")
    VID_413C&PID_8157
    VID_413C&PID_8158
    changing the HWIDs of the broadcom drivers for the HIDCCCD produces '7E' BSODs when driver is applied (modded littlerock and dell 370, however no (i) was produced for littlerock after reboot). the dell download R242148 is 106MB vs 3.5Mb for the one from broadcom.

• edited September 2011
    the nice administrators allow a very long time to edit messages but it expired (1440mins) and i like fixing my mistakes because i make them.

the things that appear when the switch is turned on do pertain to the BT but are not the BT (contrary to what i said before, the other guy was right):
    i then install the XP bluetooth drivers suggested elsewhere, i then get the BT device (USB\Vid_413c&Pid_8156) appearing out of nowhere, suggesting the device was off. it is connected to a generic hub (USB\Vid_0a5c&Pid_4500) that is connected to the 2937 USB controller's root hub. the generic has a usb mouse (with a HIDCCCD, the Col02) and KB on it too, when the wireless switch is off the hub is off (odd). the MS/KB are likely the littlerock one i mentioned earlier, the codes match.

by the way i had in the bios "fixed disk boot sector" set to write protect, so maybe this is for the primary disk only not secondary, as my bootsector was modified from the XP setup.

the IDT sound driver tray utility does not work, it terminates without a message. however there is something in the control panel which works.

cb
  • edited October 2011
    the intel wifi driver does not auto connect on reboot to wifi network after set up, so use the windows wireless zero... maybe an earlier driver needed.

i set up windows with out the LCD screen as it was broken at the time. now its installed i find something unusual:
    if anyone knows, tell me what is the difference between standby after 5 mins of no activity, and standby when lid closes. i want to know because when i open the lid, it awakes, but only if it went to standby because i closed the lid... it would be good if it always wakes up whenever i open the lid nomatter what caused the standby (because the keyboard or mouse does not wake it). other users of other laptops will may find that info of use too. so how do i change this?
    ===

also, my event logger is going nuts (note: this is with the old AMD/ATI drivers, the omegas i beleive are fine but time tells.), a fourth log item was added by ATI called ACEEventLog, and its adding items every 22s as follows:
    first:=========
    0000000473: 2011-10-03 17:27:48:656 Calling iDEM_PP.GetPowerSourceMapping failed and result is: 10
    Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.PowerPlay4.Graphics.Runtime.RT_PowerPlay4::Parse_EventPowerModeEverything processID:03728 threadID:( ) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Aspect.PowerPlay4.Graphics.Runtime, Version=2.0.4226.29422, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
    second:=========
    0000000474: 2011-10-03 17:27:48:656 Calling iDEM_PP.GetPowerSourceMapping failed and result is: 3
    Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.PowerPlay4.Graphics.Runtime.RT_PowerPlay4::Parse_EventPowerModeEverything processID:03728 threadID:( ) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Aspect.PowerPlay4.Graphics.Runtime, Version=2.0.4226.29422, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
    ============
    maybe its got something to do with the modded drivers (modded H/W IDs only), cant ask for support :P
    i found info on how to disable this log, by removing everything "ACEEventLog" from the registry, but i can also disable powerplay (in CCC) as well, as aparently that is not working... so no battery saving for me, let me know if you know how to fix that!!

disabling power play did not stop the errors (it is still seeking the power state), so i removed the text "ACEEventLogSource" in the "ACEEventLog" entries which fixed the reporting, i left the other (found in the same line) in case there are more important errors.

HMM.. here is an alternative called Omega... www.omegadrivers.net and yes i had to add hardware ids (at least it is intended for mobilities too!) and the installer works, i added this text (into the radeon HD area) to the inf that was in the installed dir then directed windows to it
    "Radeon HD 3650 (Omega 3.8.442)" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9591
    "device cannot start".. oh well.

Charlie.
  • Bad-NeighborBad-Neighbor Columbus, OH
    edited October 2011
    Oh wow, Omega is still at it? I thought he quit.
  • edited October 2011
    Oh wow, Omega is still at it? I thought he quit.

he probably did! the 1737 is a little old and i had to add the HW id for the HD 3650..

===
    because of my failed attempt on the omega, i had to reinstall my drivers because i had to clean it to try the omegas.
    i can tell you how i got the CCC installed, i installed the MSI's:
    branding ccc-core-static ccc-graphics-previews-common ccc-mom-installproxy ccc-utility and ccc-help-en-US. after this i reboot. then i go to the install directory "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE" then i press F3 type in *.reg and the ones that come up, i select all except the one that has 64 in it and press enter.

after another reboot, i have full functionality but this time i am missing the desktop right click item and in display properties, only have the tray icon, but it loads faster.
    =====
    about the last message: i did remove the "source" item but it did put it back in... so maybe i had to remove the folder as well..
  • edited October 2011
    XP: i just found that after i close the lid the back light does not switch off (when i open, the keyboard still lights up). im certain that vista was ok. and the switch-off still works when in the bios... for now im switching the backlight off after 1 min.

not sure if its ati driver related or if it was working before i messed with with the last installation. uninstalling the driver (using Device manager) and rebooting with the default driver, does not work with that either.

Charlie.
  • edited October 2011
    in power options, dont use "max battery" it appears to not throttle down the CPU, use either portable/laptop or home/office desk. i use battery status to see this. then i tested how these faired when using the CPU, on both it throttles high momentarily (once a min?) on full load, but doesnt stay there. test apps was a crashed media player classic and open arena. i remember clearly that vista was up and down at will. i cant see it saving too much if its at either the 787mhz or 2.5ghz but it would be better if it worked...
  • edited January 2012
    i have good news for those who dont want to make their own CD, i recently obtained a dell XP_MCE_SP2 (media center edition) disk and this has the iaSTOR and iaAHCI already on it.

as for the backlight, some say its related to ATI Hotkey poller (ati2evxx) but i dont think so. plus when i open the screen after the 1 min switch off it comes on! so its gotta be related to whether its a dell driver or not, perhaps some registery key to interpret the "switch off" command
    cb.