Problem with downgrading a Dell studio 1737 to windows xp

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Hardware
Hey all (thank god this site doesn't purge inactive members on the regular)

Well here is the issue thus far.

I am currently installing XP on my dell studio 1737

Installed most drivers without a problem, but there are still two devices which are giving me issues (I think i managed to find version 9.xx for my intel chipset).

I have a yellow Exclamation point over the "1394 Net Adapter" and a yellow question mark in other devices .. The only information i can gather from the second device is "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system"

I feel this could be an issue with the drivers for my Intel PM45 chipset with an ICH9 South bridge, but i dled the most current drivers (unless someone has anything better)

Also, this problem may or may not be related (i thinkk they are) I have been trying to enable AHCI on XP for a couple of hours and i keep getting the BSOD... I followed a tutorial and i keep getting the same issue... the tutorials can be found here

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-enable-AHCI-on-Intel-ICH9-under-X-t109450.html

Any help will be appreciated

thanks all!!!

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    You have to install with AHCI turned on or off, going the opposite way after installation, results in kablooey.

1394 Net adapter, unless you try to do networking over Firewire.. just disable it and don't worry.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    You have to install with AHCI turned on or off, going the opposite way after installation, results in kablooey.

1394 Net adapter, unless you try to do networking over Firewire.. just disable it and don't worry.

so a reinstalltion of windows XP using a customized XP disc would be the best way to remedy this...
    edited December 2008
    Should not need a custom disc, do you have SP2 integrated XP install?

I have not had trouble with AHCI enabled that I know of.
    edited December 2008
    my installation is one with sp2 built in.. however during the initial installation.. i kept getting the BSOD screen... which was remedied by switching off achi
    edited December 2008
    ah, I see. I have not installed XP on any Ultra new hardware, Vista64 is all I install on the test boxes now. It must be chipset dependent then, XP went onto my Dell laptop (which came with Vista) with AHCI enabled just fine (oops, I better check that, it may be off)
    edited December 2008
    i just reinstalled windows xp with a custom installer.. the strangest thing is.. the left and right mouse click are reversed... but only when in safe mode...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I've rebuilt several newer Dells to get them back to WinXP instead of Vista. First step is turning off the AHCI in the BIOS then install WinXP. If it installs and doesn't BSOD, then an to the drivers. Let me list the order....
    edited December 2008
    HEYY!! QCh.. hows it hangoing... well thus far ive remedied one problem.. the AHCI

I did this by using nlite and customizing an installtion of windows xp... it loaded the necessary intel drivers and now i have AHCI enabeled (it was also enabeled during the install without even the slightest hint of BSOD)

HOWEVER, the unknown device is still there.. therefore it cannot be AHCI... ill get back to you in a few
    edited December 2008
    Man... there are NO drovers for WinXP. I've used my Dell Premier account and my research skills to find the drivers for the chipset and nothing.... :(
    edited December 2008
    OK.... let me think. Chipset, Ricoh Card Reader, audio, Video, touch pad, network, wireless, modem, and don't forget the Dell "System Software". On your model, the webcam may also needed .

From all my research, there seems to be a ton of Studio downgrade nightmares. :(
    edited December 2008
    yeah u gotta love dell hu??

okay hwere is what happened.. i DID NOT have my bluetooth installed... but it wasnt the unknown device... thank you windows XP for just glancing by an entire piece of hardware....

Also, my microphone doesn''t work... i tried all the fixes and nothing...

thus far I still have the same issue

the 1394 net adapter has a "!" by it.. and a "?" with a "!" on it... amazin huh... i think the two have something to do with each other.. maybe some sort of networking protocol that is in vista but not in XP?
    edited December 2008
    also... i tried to update my bios... i have the most up to date bios that dell has to offer... i have installed everything... hmmm.. im really thinking it has something to do with the networking capabilities of xp vs. vista...

EDIT:

here could be a problem.. i need a newer version of the following driver

OCHI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

apparently (according to driver detective) this is an older version of the driver... mine is
    v. 5.1.2535 and it was made on 7/1/2001

does anyone have a more current driver for this device?

thanks!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    unless you try to do networking over Firewire.. just disable it and don't worry
    Agreed. Work on the important stuff first. Firewire is so much big yawn if you have USB (2.0) working.
  • edited December 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Agreed. Work on the important stuff first. Firewire is so much big yawn if you have USB (2.0) working.

I just wanted to get into this discussion because I am also having the same problems with my 1737.

I am searching for a driver for the 1394 and it just so happens I have an identical 1737 with Vista preloaded on it and the 1394 driver it has installed is a Ricoh OCHI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. Don't know if this helps at all.

I have not been able to find a driver for it, but thought this information might help. The AHCI device I have no idea what it is and was searching the net for 4+ hours yestarday to find a driver.

:rockon:<-Insert wall infront of face
    edited December 2008
    Lame.FTL wrote:
    You want this smiley then ----> :banghead:

Welcome to Icrontic :wave:
    edited December 2008
    Lame.FTL wrote:
    I just wanted to get into this discussion because I am also having the same problems with my 1737.

I am searching for a driver for the 1394 and it just so happens I have an identical 1737 with Vista preloaded on it and the 1394 driver it has installed is a Ricoh OCHI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. Don't know if this helps at all.

I have not been able to find a driver for it, but thought this information might help. The AHCI device I have no idea what it is and was searching the net for 4+ hours yestarday to find a driver.

thanks for the heads up...

the AHCI was remedied by using nlite, isobuster, and a windows xp cd...

there are tutorials everywhere... but basically u wanna unziip the windows xp cd onto your computer.. (using isobuster)

then you would use nlite to add in drivers (in our case, you would go here

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-029319.htm

the dell studio 1737 have the intel pm45 chipset with an ICH9 southbridge)

then create an iso and burn the newly customized XP cd... this way AHCI is installed from the get go (without the use of floppies)

EDIT: full tutorial can be found here

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

if you do not follow this tutorial, you need to DISABLE AHCI in bios before installing xp (otherwise you get BSOD's up the bum) however... if you use the patch and drivers, you can enable AHCI... BSOD free

FURTHER EDIT:
    I have everything else working thus far... i had to manually install the bluetooth driver (that wasnt detected at all...not even an unknown device)... but even after that I have one unknown device and a 1394 new adapter that does not work properly... i do think it has something to do with the drivers for the 1394 IEEE not being from Ricoh (as mentioned above)... i am assuming getting those XP drivers will solve both problems simultaneously.. ..

If only i had a normal comp and i could disable the OCHI 1394 IEEE in bios to see if it alleviates both symptoms.

Last edit/ Request

I have tried to look for the Ricoh driver, and i only get links to windows update... if anyone has this driver for xp... lets do something!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    WUGGS! Thanks for coming back, you knob! :D

Happy 2009!
    edited January 2009
    I looked in all my Dell areas and still cannot find anything to help you Wuggs... :(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It would help if we had PCI device IDs for these.

A full (and better) guide to slipstreaming can be found right on Icrontic: http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp
    edited January 2009
    WUGGS! Thanks for coming back, you knob! :D

Happy 2009!

yeah imma knob :(
    Thrax wrote:
    It would help if we had PCI device IDs for these.

A full (and better) guide to slipstreaming can be found right on Icrontic: http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp

good call with icrontics slipstreaming tutorial

i have no idea how to find the PCI device ids... i tried googling it and i couldnt figure out how to locate it though XP
    edited January 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    i have no idea how to find the PCI device ids... i tried googling it and i couldnt figure out how to locate it though XP
    Device Manager, right click on the bad 1394 device or the unknown and select properties. Click on the Details tab and select Device ID, Hardware ID.... all the ID fields and post them for Thrax.
    edited January 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Device Manager, right click on the bad 1394 device or the unknown and select properties. Click on the Details tab and select Device ID, Hardware ID.... all the ID fields and post them for Thrax.

thanks for the help QCH, its much appreciated throughout this entire "ordeal"

the OCHI Compliant IEE 1394 controller (the one supposedly from ricoh that i cant find the xp driver for)

Device Instance ID

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0832&SUBSYS_02A01028&REV_05\4&31FC823&0&08F0

Here is the unknown device

Device Instance ID
    ACPI\PNP0C32\0

HARDWARE ID
    ACPI\PNP032
    *PNP032

Here is the 1394 net adapter that has a "!" on it
    v1394\NIC1394\00000000

THANK YOU ALL!!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Are you sure that's a 1394 controller? I believe it may be a Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader. Try these drivers. If that doesn't work, these should.

//EDIT:

ACPI\PNP0C32\0 is something related to the touchpad or the hotkeys. Try the Alps touchpad driver from the Dell site (they're Vista/XP/2000-compatible), or installing the capacitive media key control drivers.
    edited January 2009
    drats and double drats...

I have already installed those exact drivers...i iwll try them again just in case

andd yes..i am 100% sure those r the HD ids for what i listed.. i think the 1394 bus is located on the Ricoh memory reader (thats what ive been reading thus far).. but i haven't found drivers for the 1394 bus (i see folders for MMC, SD, and xD.. but nothing for the 1394)...

Also, i have the alps touch pad thing installed... ill try it again..but it might be dell's "quickset" program or something to that effect (i could be wrong) i have seen a ton of people requesting drivers for it, but no one has been able to locate them

thank you all I iwll tell you how it goes!
    edited January 2009
    i think i have officially looked at it from every angle possible...

thank you qhc, thrax and ryder for the help!

papa prime....thank u for pointing out that im a knob

:)
  • edited January 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    i think i have officially looked at it from every angle possible...

thank you qhc, thrax and ryder for the help!

Wug, are you just going to disable those devices and be done with it now?

Lame.FTL
  • edited January 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    drats and double drats...

I have already installed those exact drivers...i iwll try them again just in case

andd yes..i am 100% sure those r the HD ids for what i listed.. i think the 1394 bus is located on the Ricoh memory reader (thats what ive been reading thus far).. but i haven't found drivers for the 1394 bus (i see folders for MMC, SD, and xD.. but nothing for the 1394)...

Also, i have the alps touch pad thing installed... ill try it again..but it might be dell's "quickset" program or something to that effect (i could be wrong) i have seen a ton of people requesting drivers for it, but no one has been able to locate them

thank you all I iwll tell you how it goes!

I just wanted to give a quick update and let you know what I found out the devices to be on the Vista notebook.

PNP0C23\0 is the Direct Application Launch Button

If you don't mind going to Start|Programs|MediaDirect to launch the appliction then you should be fine. (I am still looking into getting this off of my unknown devices list.)

The 1394 with the "!" on it is the Ricoh OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Controller

From my research this should have been installed with the Ricoh card reader driver when it was installed.(I am going to dig into the driver package and see what I come up with.)

I will let you know if I do get them off my list if not I too give up until Dell come out with supported drivers for it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    WuGgaRoO wrote:

<3 the wuggs! I'm glad your back. :)
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    So if you downgrade a Dell 1737... Does than make it a Dell 1337?

SOUNDS LIEK AN UPGRAD!
    edited January 2009
    I am very disappointed at this... I now have to discourage all of my users to avoid the Studio line because I cannot support them sufficiently. I am really sorry we couldn't find a easier solution to you Wugs... and everyone else that comes looking for a solution.

If I stumble on a solution, I will post it here.