Vista & Windows SMP Folding

TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
edited January 2009 in Folding@Home
Bought a laptop yesterday with Vista 32-Bit Home installed and am trying to get the folding client installed but my problem is installing the services with install.bat. I get an error: "OpenSCManager failed: Access is denied. <error 5>

I have right-clicked on the batch file and selected ""Run as administrator" in which case I'm prompted with "Windows needs my permission to continue" and I select continue and the cmd interface opens and then immediately closes.

Anyone encounter this bs before?

Comments

  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited December 2008
    Did you run the install.bat in the actual admin account and so on and so forth?
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited December 2008
    I can get to where I can login to the Admin account where?

    I ran the initial setup last night and the account created should be the admin account. From the login page I have no other option but to sign in with the account created with the original setup.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited December 2008
    How much am I frustrated with my Vista experience?

    This much..

    <
    pissed
    >
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited December 2008
    Enable the "Administrator" account by right clicking "Computer" in the start menu and going to manage; then go to local users and groups, select users, and enable the admin account that way. Note that it also needs a passworded account to run correctly.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited December 2008
    Vista does not have an actual "administrator" account anymore. The first account is the local admin account. If I remember correctly, you need to set a password on the account then when you "run as..." it should prompt for a password. try that.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited December 2008
    Ahem.... yes it does.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited December 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Enable the "Administrator" account by right clicking "Computer" in the start menu and going to manage; then go to local users and groups, select users, and enable the admin account that way. Note that it also needs a passworded account to run correctly.

    I don't have "local users and groups" in my menu.
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Vista does not have an actual "administrator" account anymore. The first account is the local admin account. If I remember correctly, you need to set a password on the account then when you "run as..." it should prompt for a password. try that.

    See my quote below...
    TBonZ wrote:

    I have right-clicked on the batch file and selected ""Run as administrator" in which case I'm prompted with "Windows needs my permission to continue" and I select continue and the cmd interface opens and then immediately closes.

    /me bangs head off desk and goes to bed.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited December 2008
    You don't see anything like this?

    picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=153
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited December 2008
    I do not Snarkasm.

    Being a stubborn bastidge I kept at it and just got folding. I needed to right-click on the actual folding directory and select Properties--->Security, and grant Users (COMPUTER NAME\Users) Full Control. Apply and apply again, run install.bat and the service installed. Hail Mary!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited December 2008
    Interesting. Glad you solved it, though that's curious.

    What version are you running?
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited December 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:

    What version are you running?

    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Copyright 2007
    Service Pack 1

    But as Quinton said, it DOES appear that Vista dropped the Admin account altogether.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited December 2008
    No, it looks like they just made it harder to get to in Home Premium.

    As I showed, my Ultimate copy makes it easy enough to enable the Admin account. Must be one of those things they don't think Home users need.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON
    edited January 2009
    I'll try that link out tomorrow. Looks like what I need. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.