Realtek High Definition vs. Soundblaster Live! 5.1

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Hardware
My local Craigslist shows a Soundblaster PCI (I assume 5.1) for $15. Would it make much difference with sound quality over what I currently run, which is the onboard Azalea/Realtek High Definition?

I looked through Device Manager and did not find further specification of the Realtek chip.

The speakers I'm running are Logitech Z-2300. Typical music to be played would vary from Rush, Boston, and Journey to classical. (yeah, I know, demanding music that far outstrips my speakers' capabilities) The current setup is OK, but not what I would call good. Frequency response is decent, but mid-range is weak and complex sounds tend to get all mushed together. Would the Live! make any difference?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Hey Leo,

Thrax and Ryder (Happy New Year here from EST, BTW) both say no, sir.

Your HD Audio will sound just as good. That PCI card sounds like it is several years old if it is carrying the "Live!" moniker.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Ha ha, kindof what I thought, but I don't keep up with sound hardware.

Thanks for the quick reply. Please pass on my "Happy New Year" greetings to whomever you guys are hanging with at the moment.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Keebler, Prime, Thrax, Ryder, FreshyP, MasterbuilderK, J, all say Happy New Year.

You have what....2 hours 40 min...till New Year at the time of this post?