• edited May 2009
    hey,

So
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Just disable Express Gate in the bios.
  • edited May 2009
    Hey All,

Have this same frustrating issue...looks like we are all using the same parts:

Kuma 6000 AMD, Corsair Memory, and AMD Motherboard. (Seems we all have this in common) Tried everything seen so far...pulled battery, reset CMOS. Called ASUS and sent my board back (They thought I might need a new BIOS update) - again same issue when I get it back.

Basicaly it will turn on, I will see the 'Express Gate' thing, and then it jumps right to asking for a boot disk. I never see it actually POST. If I hold down the delete key it just hangs, won't even go to asking for a boot disk.

In frustration I hooked in my old hardrive which has xp loaded... it actually allows me to get as far as selecting if I want to go into safemode, and then any item i choose (Safe Mode, Safe Mode Networking,etc) it just runs and then restarts itself. - Not to suprised about this, my old build was a Sony with Intel, but it is really frustrating to get so close, and then have it all fall apart.

Anyone else have any new bright ideas, or any of you find a fix?

Thanks,

The sea knows, but it never tells....
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    davyjones wrote:
    Hey All,

Have this same frustrating issue...looks like we are all using the same parts:

Kuma 6000 AMD, Corsair Memory, and AMD Motherboard. (Seems we all have this in common) Tried everything seen so far...pulled battery, reset CMOS. Called ASUS and sent my board back (They thought I might need a new BIOS update) - again same issue when I get it back.

Basicaly it will turn on, I will see the 'Express Gate' thing, and then it jumps right to asking for a boot disk. I never see it actually POST. If I hold down the delete key it just hangs, won't even go to asking for a boot disk.

In frustration I hooked in my old hardrive which has xp loaded... it actually allows me to get as far as selecting if I want to go into safemode, and then any item i choose (Safe Mode, Safe Mode Networking,etc) it just runs and then restarts itself. - Not to suprised about this, my old build was a Sony with Intel, but it is really frustrating to get so close, and then have it all fall apart.

Anyone else have any new bright ideas, or any of you find a fix?

Thanks,

The sea knows, but it never tells....

Can you get into express gate? Have you tried loading your regular OS?

Express gate is more or less a simple linux distro that ships right with the mobo. Can you boot into that? Also, my limited experience with the express gate splash screen tells me that you can normaly post to bios with your mouse from there. Its a button on the bottom of the screen that you can click. Its realy unusual, but I don't think you hit del on this type of board, the express gate linux kernal actualy supercedes the bios posting.

Have you tried loading windows at all?
  • edited May 2009
    Reseating everything from scratch helps espeicialy out of the case for maximum sucess rate

Try removing the motherboard from the case and test on a piece of cardboard or something non conductive with just the motherboard, CPU, RAM and vid card. Do not hook up any drives or extra cards.
    If that doesn't work, try using only 1 stick of RAM and move it to different slots then try the other stick(s) in different slots.for other similar relatedcomputer issues shutting down etc also a short circuit can cause random shuttdowns decreasing speeds help's sometimes ,in the bios clear cmos /battery out for 1 or 2 minutes.

reset cmos.etc... that bios really forgets certain settings i dont know whats wrong with the bios and forgetting all the time...

Dont forget every riser on the mobo and case for good clean contact. inspect all parts and so on... take your time.be careful.turn the switch of the powersupply to off or better yet unplug.

try this if things get worse

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83557
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks for getting back to me so soon...still no love, but I do have an update first off my rig is:
    CPU: AMD x2 7750 (Stock heatsink and cooler)
    RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-8500LS X 2 (Each is a 2 gig stick, for a total of four gigs)
    Power: Okia Broadway 600 watt PSU (ATX rated)
    Case: Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 VG7000

Original Issue: Once all components assembled, power is on, both CPU and Case fans spin, green LED light is on. Screen Fires up, and immediatly I would get an Express Gate Error, would stay on the screen for about 3 seconds, and then blink off. If no drives (Hard Drive or Disk Drives) where connected it would then ask for a Boot Disk / Drive. But I would never once see the board actually post, nor would I see a splash screen, it goes straight to the prompt.
    If I hold down the delete key to get into the BIOS, the screen goes black (but stays on) and...nothing.
    If I put in my old drive with xp loaded, it brings me to the xp "Safe Boot" menu. Any option I choose starts the boot process, but then the machine resets itself. (Kind of expected something like that, but it does at least show me that the board is willing to make an effort, and is not a complete brick.)

Solutions tried so far:
    Take out all the compenents and reassemble with care and love. Only hook in Power Supply, Mother Board, and single stick of RAM... same result.

Sticking with basic setup move RAM stick to diffrent slot... no change.

Pull the battery and reset the CMOS. Leave battery out overnight...CHANGE -

Now instead of loading the Express Gate error, and then going straight to the BOOT DRIVE prompt, all I get is a black (blank) screen. This is exactly what it would do if I tried to get into the bios by holding down the delete key, only this is all that it does now, I can no longer get to the BOOT DISC/Drive prompt. The board, RAM, and CPU are all working (If I pull out the RAM stick, the monitor does not turn on, if I have it in, it does turn on.) IF I hit Cntrl, ALT, Delete, the computer does reset and goes through the same process. If I hold down delete to get into the bios... nothing.

So something I did seems to have made a change. (I consider this good), however it was not the change I was looking for (this is bad)

Any other suggestions...system is currently sitting on cardboard, and I am going to hook the essentials up outside of the case, and try that suggestion.

Thanks,
  • edited May 2009
    davyjones wrote:
    Thanks for getting back to me so soon...still no love, but I do have an update first off my rig is:
    CPU: AMD x2 7750 (Stock heatsink and cooler)
    RAM: Corsair CM2X2048-8500LS X 2 (Each is a 2 gig stick, for a total of four gigs)
    Power: Okia Broadway 600 watt PSU (ATX rated)
    Case: Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 VG7000

Original Issue: Once all components assembled, power is on, both CPU and Case fans spin, green LED light is on. Screen Fires up, and immediatly I would get an Express Gate Error, would stay on the screen for about 3 seconds, and then blink off. If no drives (Hard Drive or Disk Drives) where connected it would then ask for a Boot Disk / Drive. But I would never once see the board actually post, nor would I see a splash screen, it goes straight to the prompt.
    If I hold down the delete key to get into the BIOS, the screen goes black (but stays on) and...nothing.
    If I put in my old drive with xp loaded, it brings me to the xp "Safe Boot" menu. Any option I choose starts the boot process, but then the machine resets itself. (Kind of expected something like that, but it does at least show me that the board is willing to make an effort, and is not a complete brick.)

Solutions tried so far:
    Take out all the compenents and reassemble with care and love. Only hook in Power Supply, Mother Board, and single stick of RAM... same result.

Sticking with basic setup move RAM stick to diffrent slot... no change.

Pull the battery and reset the CMOS. Leave battery out overnight...CHANGE -

Now instead of loading the Express Gate error, and then going straight to the BOOT DRIVE prompt, all I get is a black (blank) screen. This is exactly what it would do if I tried to get into the bios by holding down the delete key, only this is all that it does now, I can no longer get to the BOOT DISC/Drive prompt. The board, RAM, and CPU are all working (If I pull out the RAM stick, the monitor does not turn on, if I have it in, it does turn on.) IF I hit Cntrl, ALT, Delete, the computer does reset and goes through the same process. If I hold down delete to get into the bios... nothing.

So something I did seems to have made a change. (I consider this good), however it was not the change I was looking for (this is bad)

Any other suggestions...system is currently sitting on cardboard, and I am going to hook the essentials up outside of the case, and try that suggestion.

Thanks,

go to these 2 links below for your error/s
    sometimes you may have to reseat evrything again and again you are not getting video it seems i think not sure plz try reseating and make sure you test outside the case now did you test it ouside the case yes or no?i guess you are lol...

and reset cmos during this battery out for a minute or 2 check and inspect all the pins of the video card are in. 1 stick only(memmory in different slots open the cpu to motherboard lock and reseat that bad boy, bios settings to boot from pci e look and exmine make sure the video card is not putting to much force on the board disconnect all fans try a different memmory ocz kingston sorry dont mean to be bYus
    the connection from the power supply to the video physically check those connection to see if they fit proper the one on the cpu to to power supply get the manual and start from scartch
    and most of all good luck as one of the parts maybe defective look closely dig deaper i tried.

i think at the end its a video card pci express issue but im like 0.00000001 percent sure as it could be 1 in a million.

did you try disabling express gate in the bios and if you have flashed the board you also need to reset cmos if the express gate is not broken is what i got off the asus site....http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081212034306299&board_id=1&model=P5Q&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

and here is more help just for you but maybe you know this 2 let me if this helps ok
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081007053749468&board_id=20&model=B202&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

there seems also to be an installation required i think for the express gate and bios updates are related and lots of other goodies that should help you make sure to let me know how it went.any way i saved you all the reading......;Dactually here you go
    There is an installtion for Express Gate on the software cd that comes with the EEEBox.

It's in the Software\ExpressGate directory. It appears to be version 1.2.1.0

My Express Gate was working when I first got my EEEBox.

After I updated my EEEBox to the 501 BIOS I had an issue with Express Gate. My mouse pointer is stuck at the bottom of the screen so I can't use it properly.

The 501 BIOS for the EEEBox says this:

Updated Express Gate Lite image to v1.3.4.0. to fix system might halt at POST.

I tried to repair Express Gate with the Repair option in the Express Gate Programs group in Windows, but it said it couldn't find the installer file for it.

So then I removed it and got an error on reboot saying it couldn't find Express Gate.

I copied the software cd to a location on my network and then re-installed Express Gate from there.

Note: When you install it it might prompt you where to install it. I had three options: C, D and hidden.

I tried the hidden partition first, but I still got the error on reboot saying that it couldn't find it.

So I removd it and re-installed it onto C and now it loads.

It works now, but I still have the issue with my mouse pointer stuck at the bottom of the screen.

I don't know where to download a newer version. I searched everywhere.

I just disabled it because I don't use it.

im not sure this relates to your board but it might be of use to you i'm getting dizzy lookin at all these letters and words:eek3:....
  • edited May 2009
    John thanks for sticking with me.

So took it out, stuck it on a nice piece of cardboard, reset everything...still no dice. Video is built into the motherboard, but just incase that was an issue Idid hook up a video card... again nothing. At no point have i ever been able to get into the Bios, whatever I try just makes computer hang at the black screen. When I RMA'd it the first time I had Asus put in the most recent BIOS, so that shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I can think of is that it dosen't like the memory will try and get a cheap stick of something in the next week. In the mean time I have a call in with Asus...
  • edited May 2009
    davyjones wrote:
    John thanks for sticking with me.

So took it out, stuck it on a nice piece of cardboard, reset everything...still no dice. Video is built into the motherboard, but just incase that was an issue Idid hook up a video card... again nothing. At no point have i ever been able to get into the Bios, whatever I try just makes computer hang at the black screen. When I RMA'd it the first time I had Asus put in the most recent BIOS, so that shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I can think of is that it dosen't like the memory will try and get a cheap stick of something in the next week. In the mean time I have a call in with Asus...

ocz and kingston for compatibility, but i hope you dont spend your money for nothing.
    i think ocz(or kingston)for compatibility is the better choice,still let us know what the problem was cause i cant think of anything else besides reseating the cpu on the motherboard.....

looks like it might be the memmory then unless you have readers or scales to check the other parts, its gonna be hard to tell unless you have other parts it pays to have more than 1 or 2 pc's at the end....with similar components but the industry doesnt resist change very much....
    you gotta go name brand the bigger the better right ?(not always)we will see ,so many pc's
    that ive worked on would not boot with certain memmory sticks even kingston etc.

still i wouldnt waste money to a problem that you are not sure of it just doesnt make sense
    but i do it 2 sometimes .(but its not like its my moula i think your better of sending that money to me lol)jus kiddin...its sort of like :here take my money and rip me off some more...

still you should wait and see if you get different errors before you proceed look closely in your mobo manuel it should tell you .talking to asus isnt gonna change nothing they are not equipped to handle this type of talk.
    you really gotta figure out where you are stopping cause this is now a whole new ball game what is your new error.

looks like you are getting different results and errors all the time..

in this case MSI motherboards rule......they come with a device that gives you codes for this.do you nkow about that?(great tool)well at least mine came with it....should come with all the mobos...

every motherboard has their unique proprietary features....
    i have chose asus as well this time around...i would rather take my chances here...rather than speaking with asus...so you mean to say corsair is not compatible with asus?or that board you would think corsair would nkow better...who should we blame this time or wich of these companies will take responsibilities for incompatibilities and other things like anticompetition.