Problem with new build, Asus M3A78 Pro

edited May 2009 in Hardware
Here are the SpecsASUS M3A78-ProAthlon X2 5200 AM2 socket8GB of Corsair 800Mhz DD2 RamNo video using onboard for starts700 Watts Power SupplyAll parts just arrived from Tiger DirectI plugged all the components in and all I get is CPU fan and chasis fans.No beeps, no video nada. I've removed the ram and still get no beeps.I tested the power supply from my good computer another 800 watt power supply and same thing. I'm stuck between CPU and MoBo. Any ideas to narrow it down? I'm thinking CPU since there is no initial beep from the CPU to jump into post. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I know I got 30 days to get exchanges from Tiger.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Have you tried resetting the BIOS?
  • edited January 2009
    I cleared the CMOS RTC as per the documentation. Still got nothing. If I physically removed the CMOS no I didn't.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Unplug it from the wall and then physically remove the battery.
    edited January 2009
    Let it set for a few minutes after removing the BIOS battery.
  • edited January 2009
    I will do that tonight when I get home. I'm leaning toward the CPU but this is a first I ever had a problem like this from an order from Tiger Direct.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Removing batteries can cure motherboard problems - incurred after hardware changes, that seem to have no logical explanation. Just this weekend I had to remove the CMOS battery from two computers. I had upgraded the power supplies on both computers. All cables and connectors and most of the components had been removed during the upgrading. I had forgotten (yes, one machine right after the other) to place the CMOS *switch to reset. Afterwords, even with BIOS reset, neither machine had video output until I gave it a battery-free rest.

* I made switches that fit in a computer case expansion port that will reset the BIOS. Flip a little switch, voila, CMOS reset. Flip it back, and the BIOS is back to operation mode. (I have not yet come up with an external switch for removing the battery and replacing it. :crazy: )
  • edited January 2009
    Took the CMOS battery out. Left it out for about 1/2hr. Tried to boot back up no RAM just CPU and fan. No beeps, no video, just CPU fan. (Thanks for the info Leonardo but this wasn't an upgrade this was a new build with parts fresh from the box from Tiger Direct.) I have dual channel memory but with or without the ram installed I get nothing. I'm thinking the CPU is dead and can't find any hardware. I really wish I had the motherboard diagnostic pci card. It would come in great right about now. So what's your opinion MoBo or CPU?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    If the CPU were dead, the CPU circuit would be out and the CPU fan would not spin, if it's on the CPU fan header.

Pull the battery for overnight - it can sometimes take that long. If it still won't boot in the morning, the problem most likely would be motherboard or video card.

The reason I stated "overnight" is that it really can sometimes take that long for a motherboard to clear all electrical charges. I have experience that before, when a one-hour wait with the battery removed was not enough time, but eight hours worked.
  • edited January 2009
    Really, I didn't know it would take that long. I also didn't know if the circuit was bad on the CPU that the fan wouldn't spin. I thought that it would get power from the board to spin the fan. Learn something new every day. I'm using the on board video. I will leave it out all night and try it in the morning. That way I can safely say its the motherboard.
    edited January 2009
    quick test to verify what we are saying... take out the CPU. The MB will not do anything. ;)
  • edited January 2009
    Okay.....so your saying take out the chip. Power it up and see if I get anything?
    edited January 2009
    I haven't tried it (on purpose) in years but go ahead and see what happens. It won't do any damage, that I know of....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It'll be fine.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    My bet is on a bad stick of memory. The memory could also be incompatible with the mother board. Sometimes a different brand can make that much of a difference. The on board video also shares the memory with the system.
  • edited January 2009
    The memory is Corsair; even if I don't have any ram plugged into the board I still don't get any beeps at all.
  • edited January 2009
    Everything was brand new.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    It doesn't matter if it is brand new or not. Sometimes a particular brand of memory is incompatible with a certain mobo. if you have a stick of another brand of memory give it a try. What can it hurt?

Also, I think you have 8 gigs of crucial memory, correct? You can also try just one stick at a time incase one of the sticks were bad before they sent it to you.
  • edited January 2009
    It was corsair memory. The MB specifications said to use DDR2 800 or 1066MHz. I picked 800Mhz. But also I didn't get no beeps what so ever even when I didn't have any memory on the board. Unless they changed things I know when memory was bad you got beeps. But then again I'm building a new PC for the first time in 3 or 4yrs so a lot could have changed. I'll try one stick at a time when I get the new stuff. The MoBo manual did have a list of certified memory and TigerDirect was suggesting that brand with it as compatible but I'll get it running one way or the other. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for the input.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Man I've been in the same boat as you. Nothing sucks worse than to finish a build and have it not boot up. The reason I say memory was because a few months back I had a stick go bad on me. And I had the same problem, no beeps, no video, only fans powering up. I think the hard drives may have started to spin too. Can't remember.

Now I've also had things not work because of a bad molex connection.

I've also had no boot because the HSF had to be resat.

I've also had a build where I had to disassemble everything, put the motherboard back into the anti-static bag without the battery, to sit over night.

It could be just a bad motherboard. But I think you'll get it going one way or another.
    asnyc01 wrote:
    It was corsair memory. The MB specifications said to use DDR2 800 or 1066MHz. I picked 800Mhz. But also I didn't get no beeps what so ever even when I didn't have any memory on the board. Unless they changed things I know when memory was bad you got beeps. But then again I'm building a new PC for the first time in 3 or 4yrs so a lot could have changed. I'll try one stick at a time when I get the new stuff. The MoBo manual did have a list of certified memory and TigerDirect was suggesting that brand with it as compatible but I'll get it running one way or the other. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for the input.
  • edited January 2009
    Tell me about it; my heart sunk when I got nothing but fans. I'll know if a few days if I got a problem with memory if after I got a new board and CPU. You guys got back quicker to me than Asus. They got 24hr support and it's going on 3days and still haven't heard from them. Thank god for Forums !!! When it comes together it will be a nice rig. Dual Core 2.7, 8GB of Ram, 2 drives 160GB and 500GB for data. The board has ATI hybridcross. It will use the onboard video and video card in the PCI-e slot as two GPI's. I intend to run Vista 64Bit. I'm going to run VMware with XP in case I need XP. My office will eventually move to Vista I may as well get the jump on it.
  • edited January 2009
    I have the exact same problem as you, I bought my parts locally though.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1Ghz
    ASUS M3A78-PRO
    4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 PC8500 (1066Mhz)
    650 Watt PSU

I'm using OnBoard video for now.

I believe that the mobo is the issue, I was just surfing around looking for any more input on the subject as well when I found this post.

I think I am going to bring my computer to the place I bought the parts and find out whats wrong, most likely get a replacement mobo.

If that turns out to be the problem I'll let you know ^^

Bleh, it sucks eh? I was supposed to have a working computer before the holidays! But I keep getting held back by things like this >.> Not to mention the bus strike that's going on in the city so I have like no way to get my computer to the place :(

I'll try the battery thing as well, good luck :P
  • edited January 2009
    i think i have the same problem with my new M3A78 PRO. i received it today in the mail along with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition and CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit from newegg.com. put it together with my old video card, connected to the monitor, turned on and everything is running, but there is no video. so i took out the video card in hopes of the on-board video working, but the same thing happened. all the fans and drives are running and it sounds good (although i didnt hear any beeps and dont even know if i was suppose to hear them). so i thought that it could also be my monitor, so i went to the living room and connected it to the lcd tv, but the problem did not go away.

so, asnyc01 have you resolved the problem on your system?
  • edited January 2009
    conclusion: i took the battery out last night after reading these posts, i kept it out for around 24 hours. today i put it back in and just to be safe took out one of the sticks of RAM. turned it on and voila! its working!! *knocks on the wood 3 times* lol...

thanks for this post everyone!
  • edited January 2009
    Aha and I know what was wrong with my board now.

You know how fan connections have the plastic part around the pins to only enable you to plug the fan in one direction?

Well the VGA port on the mobo had the plastic alignment part upside down!!!
    So I was only able to plug it in backwards which is why I had no display.

Must have slipped through quality control I guess :S

I got a replacement and everything is now humming beautifully ;D
  • edited January 2009
    I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I resolved my issue but now I see it was more of a Id10T problem. The last time I put a PC together dual core was just coming out. Now I realize that I had to plug in a power next to the CPU. Once I did that everything came up. I'm struggling with the express gate now.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    I'm glad you guys are getting your motherboards up and running.

asnyc01: what is the express gate problem you are talking about?
  • edited March 2009
    Well, not so fast Komete...I have the same problem. Tried everything until I came here. I cleared the cmos but didn't remove battery. Switched processors, I have a dell dimension amd 3200+ and bought amd 6000+ which ran okay in dell. Bought new board and case to upgrade..assembled all last night and finished this morning. Went to boot new board with 6000+ and no luck. I Took out 6000+ and put in 3200+ and no luck again. Soooo, took 6000+ and put back into dell and it's good, no processor problems which leads me to believe board or battery. I'm going to leave out for the rest of the afternoon and get back with you guys. Wish me luck.
  • Junta-UnitedJunta-United The Great Central Valley,CA
    edited April 2009
    I got a bundle build similar to asnyc01. I handled the no POST-no boot issue by placing my Corsair RAM in the A1 and B1 slots only. 2 Gigs each. It also booted with 1 stick in A1. No dice though placing all 8 Gigs in A1,A2,B1 and B2 or placing sister sticks in A1 and A2. It did not matter which sticks I used which leads me to question the health of this mobo. I did clear the CMOS and I'll try resetting the BIOS when I get home. I am running 64bitVista btw.
  • edited May 2009
    Okay, so im new here. I actuallty just registered two minutes ago. Ive been looking for a good forum site to join, and i believe ive found it. I ran into this exact problem with a build im working on. Started reading the thread and had every question i had answered. I know you guys werent helping me per se, but id like to say thanks anyway.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Welcome! Please hang out and check out our little corner of cyberspace.