having a little trouble with Riva tuner

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Hardware
I am using RT for oc'ing 2 8800gs's ( not SLI Bridged ) and trying to apply the settings at start up.
I am only uping the shader and fan speed. ( Folding rig ) I set the shader, click apply, check the apply at start up box and hit save. The proper info is applied in the line above. Go to the fan settings page, set to 100%, check the apply at start up box, click save and apply.

Go back to the main page and select the other video card from the drop down box and repeat the above process for the second card.

Both cards report the proper numbers ( settings applied )

After a restart one of the cards gets the settings applied properly , increased shader clock and 100% fan speed. But the other card only has the fan speed applied. not the shader. ????

I have double checked the settings many times , but it just won't do it at start up.

Any ideas ??

Thanks
Scott

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It won't do it, you are going to have to remember to do it each restart or flash a new BIOS to each card.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    It won't do it.

I was afraid of that.

Thanks _k_

Scott
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure if it's still in production, but if you're comfortable with those overclocks, you can use NiBiTor (NVIDIA BIOS EDITOR) to dump your current BIOS, edit in the new clocks, and reflash with the edits. :) Very easy.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    remember to do it each restart
    Yup! Fortunately, it's just one core each time. You fan speeds should be holding without resetting. (Oh, OK, you mentioned that.)

I tried running Nvidia System Tools and Riva Tuner simultaneously to see if each utility could manage a separate GPU. Nope, it just made everything more complicated.
    edited January 2009
    Thanks guys !
    It was really bugging me. Glad it was not me.

The Dual GPU machine is running good. In a week or so I should be hovering around 30K ppd. Maybe even take the number 2 spot ( in production). Right next to my buddy Leo.

Scott
    edited April 2009
    Very good to hear that you now have more time to for hobbies and relaxing, Scott.

Back to topic: I use Riva Tuner for all my multi-GPU Folders. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a GPU overclocking utility available that will hold settings for more than one GPU on Windows startup.
    edited April 2009
    I got an email that opqr336 had replied to this post but don't see it anywhere ? My last reply was in Jan.

Leonardo wrote:
    Very good to hear that you now have more time to for hobbies and relaxing, Scott.

Yes !! things are going very well here.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Back to topic: I use Riva Tuner for all my multi-GPU Folders. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a GPU overclocking utility available that will hold settings for more than one GPU on Windows startup.

Au Contraire, Mon Fraire...EVGA precisions new version 1.6 will do it with up to 4 gpu's. I have all EVGA cards so I am not sure if it works with other vendors products. But it works great with theirs !!

405_precision_app_00.jpg

If you don't want to register on EVGA's site I can send it to you to try.

Scott
    edited April 2009
    Here is what the opqr336 turdbird had to write:
    You write very good! Top of you! [Chinese link removed]
    Don't you feel special, now!

OH! I'll give the EVGA Precision a try. I am tired of manually setting multiple GPUs each time I start computers.
    edited April 2009
    Alright, I'm now running EVGA Precision on two quad-GPU machines. One machine has two EVGA 9800GX2s and the other one EVGA 9800GX2 and a PNY 9800GX2. EVGA Precision (EP) works the same - no better, no worse - with EVGA-only multiple GPUs and mixed brand GPUs.

My testing and use so far has only been shader clocks and fan speeds. Those are the video card settings I change for Folding@Home.

Here's what I'm experiencing objectively:
    • EP will only restore custom (non-default) shader clocks on one GPU out of four on Windows startup
    • EP restores custom fan speeds for all GPUs (two fans, one per card) for all GPUs (both cards)
    Here's what I'm experiencing subjectively:
    • It's much easier to set multiple GPU settings quickly through EP's elegant user interface. Riva Tuner (RT) is clunky and poorly designed in comparison. With EP, it requires about one-third the number of mouse clicks to accomplish the same as with RT
    • EP is very convenient to get a once-over, quick view of temperatures of all four GPU cores. Previously I was using GPU-Z, but with that utility, you have to switch to each GPU to see it's data display.
    • I set a profile for each core, so on Windows startup, even though I have to set three of the four cores, it's pretty fast. All I have to do is select the core and click on the profile for it. This is MUCH faster than the convoluted series of clicks and screens you must navigate through for RT.
    Even though the functionality of EP and RT is about the same, for me, EP is much superior.
    edited April 2009
    ^is superior, not much superior
    edited April 2009
    For setting two GPUs in a single machine, I'd not call EVGA Precision a big advantage. With four GPUs, having to reset three of them each time I boot, EP is so much easier. If it were a single GPU, it wouldn't make much difference.
    edited April 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    For setting two GPUs in a single machine, I'd not call EVGA Precision a big advantage. With four GPUs, having to reset three of them each time I boot, EP is so much easier. If it were a single GPU, it wouldn't make much difference.

That is odd. It works fine for me with two GPU's. It will set fan speed and shader clock on start up for both. You do have them sync'd right ?

Un-sync/ set each card/click start at windows startup/apply/repeat for other cards/ hit sync....and then save as a profile. then hit default / apply and save that as a profile. Two profiles one both OC'd and one both stock.

I did have to mess with it a bit to get it too work but it was just the proper keystrokes that did it.

And yes I did confirm it with GPUz.

Try again and let us know. Glad to hear it works with non EVGA cards

Scott
    edited April 2009
    No, I did not try synchronized yet. I couldn't use "Sync" on the quad-GPU machines though, as I don't have the same clock on the GPUs. I haven't yet tried it on the dual-GPU (single card, GX2) machines yet.
    edited April 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    No, I did not try synchronized yet. I couldn't use "Sync" on the quad-GPU machines though, as I don't have the same clock on the GPUs. I haven't yet tried it on the dual-GPU (single card, GX2) machines yet.

Hey Leo

Sync is the key.
    Be sure to UN-Sync first - set each card and apply. Double check that all cards are set properly ( including start with windows ) and then click sync.

Let us know how it goes when you get home.:thumbup

Scott :fold:

Ps what happened to our Folding sigs ?
    edited April 2009
    I just thought of something else.

I think that the sync button just applies the settings ( that are individualy set ) to all gpu's.
    It may work on your 4 gpu set up with different clocks . Give it a try

Scott
    edited April 2009
    I had just enough time before I left for work this morning to test "Sync" on one of the two-GPU machines. It works. When I rebooted the computer, Precision automatically set the OC for both GPUs as well as the card's fan speed. The four-GPU/two-card machines have up to three different GPU OC settings, so the sync function wouldn't be what I want. Different GPUs are clocked differently than each other because of different chip capabilities and due to uneven cooling with the two heat monsters crowded in close to each other.

Still though, this is a major improvement over Riva Tuner. Before, if I had to shut down and restart all four Folding boxes, it was quite time consuming, mainly due to manually setting each GPU's clock. EVGA Precision has cut that time down considerably.
    I think that the sync button just applies the settings ( that are individualy set ) to all gpu's.
    Yes, I believe that's right. Sync will synchronize all the GPUs in the system to the same settings.
    edited April 2009
    Leonardo wrote:

Sync will synchronize all the GPUs in the system to the same settings.

I am not entirely sure that is true. Think about the original trouble you had before using sync. (I think sync just applies all the individual settings to all cards) But you can't set anything correctly when it is on.

So
    turn sync off
    click gpu 1 and do your clocks and fan speed ,click start with windows, click apply.
    Click gpu 2 ,repeat (with the settings that you want for that gpu ) don't forget to click start with windows and apply after each gpu
    repeat for all remaining gpus

then click sync ( You have saved settings for up to 4 different devices ) this just applies them all.

I'll bet that all the individual settings remain.

I think it is worth a try anyway.

However......I could be totally wrong. :crazy: and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and try it on my rig. :tongue2:

Let us know how it goes

Scott
    edited April 2009
    Well there is software so you don't have to walk up-stairs, since we are talking about solutions.
    edited April 2009
    More testing with my four-GPU machines. The following applies to those computers:

1. The "Start in Windows" box in advanced settings remains set once the tick mark is set in the box; "Apply at Windows startup" amber light stays lighted after the first time it is selected.

2. The Sync button does nothing for individual GPUs, rather it syncs the GPUs in a system all to the same settings.

3. I can set a profile for each individual GPU's settings. When I start up the computer: select the GPU, select the corresponding profile, then select apply. That's actually pretty quick, much faster than than using the slider to readjust the clock and fan speed for each GPU. At least with these these 4-GPU boxes, I cannot set a single profile for all four GPUs. It's one profile per GPU.

No combination or sequence of any of the options would allow EVGA Precision to automatically start all GPUs to pre-defined custom settings at Windows startup.
    edited April 2009
    You don't have to use the sliders to set settings in RivaTuner, you save the profile. Yes you would still have to use the slider once, but just saying.

EDIT: My real idea might didn't get illustrated very well. RivatTuner gives you a huge number of profiles you save for different settings. The fan and clocks are saved differently and either one is independent for application on start-up. To me that is a little better, for my circumstances, because I switch profiles a few times a day. I have one set of clocks for gaming and another for folding. Also the slider issue isn't that large of a problem on the basis that video cards all have dividers so if you know where the dividers are, which if you spent any time OCing you would know, you just jump to the next platform because precision is not a key factor in clock settings. I haven't spent much time playing with the EVGA Precision, will spend more time tonight yet but I am going to stick with Riva because of its text based design and seperation of GPU profiles by card.

Correct me but it looks like there are a max of 10 profile settings you can have on one system with Precision and as far as I know Riva is unlimited. Granted most people will never need that many its just something I noticed and would be usefull if someone mixes fan settings with GPU clocks for reasons, seems like they would come up with more than 10 combinations.

The other thing I noticed as well is the graphical nature of Precision seems to lag a little bit while I am folding on the card it is displayed on, I don't really care what the temperature on my cards are.
    edited April 2009
    EVGA Precision 1.7 released

Leo: maybe some of these new features may help your 4 gpu systems

changelog
    EVGA Precision v1.7.0 (2009-04-17)
    Considering that many third party EVGA Precision skins are still not updated to be compatible with 1.5.x and newer versions, now the Precision provides a temporary workaround and allows unlocking outdated skins usage (in reduced functionality mode). Experienced users may unlock outdated skins usage by setting ShowNonNativeSkins configuration file entry to 1. Please don't use the workaround as a long term solution and ask skin creator to provide the update if the skin you are using is invisible to Precision by default.
    Link button state is no longer restored improperly on multi-GPU systems when GPU synchronization mode is disabled.
    Fixed fan control for Forceware 17x.xx and older driver families.
    Now pressing "Apply" or "Reset all" button causes the Precision to forcibly re-apply current overclocking and fan control settings on multi-GPU systems when GPU synchronization mode is enabled even when master GPU setttings are not being altered. The enhancement ensures more correct GPU synchronization functionality on the systems with several differently clocked cards.
    Now Precision displays GPU synchronization indicators on GPU selection icons to ensure easy identification of all GPUs synchronized with the master GPU on multi-GPU systems.
    Improved stress-test results handling on multi-GPU systems working in GPU synchronization mode.
    Added internal hardware emulation layer for simplifying distant debugging and testing process.
    Now Precision allows assigning a global hotkey for capturing desktop/in-game screenshots using built-in screen capture features of EVGA On-Screen Display server. Please take a note that similar to the server's On-Screen Display limitations, screen capture functionality is also currently not available in native 64-bit applications and in Direct3D10 applications when multisampled antialiasing is enabled.
    Now Precision allows assigning a global hotkey for toggling On-Screen Display visibility in addition to the previously available hotkeys explicitly showing and hiding the On-Screen Display
    Now Precision displays warnings when you are trying to display too many text information in the On-Screen Display causing the displayed information to be truncated
    EVGA On-Screen Display Server has been updated to version 3.3.0
    Minor user interface cleanups