C drive failing (CRC errors). Next step?

edited January 2009 in Hardware
The C drive on my laptop has started acting funny and giving data errors (CRC messages pop up every so often). Also, certain application arent working and I cant open some files. So what is the next step? Run CHKDSK? Clone the drive (using Acronis)? The only thing I have done so far is attempt to make a backup copy of the hard drive using Acronis - but it just sits there for hours and doesnt begin to show any progress. The C drive may have it;s problems but it is highly functional (I am using it right now to send this question to you). I have backed up some of my most precious data files to a ext drive, but I really want to seize this moment to make an image of the drive (even though some sectors have courrpted data) and put that image onto a new drive and then deal with the corruptions one by one. that way I dont have to install all the apps and everything else again.

Any thoughts or directions on this? Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Run chkdsk, try another imaging attempt. If that fails, cut your losses on the OS and move the data files manually. Run DFT or Seatools to test the drive integrity, then replace it if the drive is physically malformed.
  • edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Run chkdsk, try another imaging attempt. If that fails, cut your losses on the OS and move the data files manually. Run DFT or Seatools to test the drive integrity, then replace it if the drive is physically malformed.

OK thanks. Is it likely CHKDSK will make render the computer or OS unbootable? Just want to know so I can plan accordingly. Thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It's possible, yes, though it's impossible to say for sure. Any of the steps in any order could trigger drive failure if there is indeed physical disrepair.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I would copy your most important data manually before running checkdesk or attempting another image. If the disk is on its last legs physically, best to copy while you can, then try Checkdisk and imaging.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    Am I right in saying that utilities such as chkdsk and seatools look for bad sectors on the disk and if it finds any then it marks them as bad and prevents the OS from accessing them? This then means that if a system file is stored on the damaged sector and that is marked as bad the OS will fail as it cant access the file?

If this is the case could you not then use the XP recovery tool to fix your installation? Or am I just talking rubbish?:D
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    RichD wrote:
    Am I right in saying that utilities such as chkdsk and seatools look for bad sectors on the disk and if it finds any then it marks them as bad and prevents the OS from accessing them? This then means that if a system file is stored on the damaged sector and that is marked as bad the OS will fail as it cant access the file?

If this is the case could you not then use the XP recovery tool to fix your installation? Or am I just talking rubbish?:D

No your pretty much correct. The issue is that if you do a repair install and the harddrive is damaged it could potentially cause further stress making matters worse.

Also I just wanted to clarify when running chkdsk make sure you use the /r switch if you want it to scan and mark bad sectors.