Does anyone still play Battlefield 2???

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited March 2009 in Gaming
So this past weekend I installed Battlefield 2 again after a year or so hiatus. I really wanted to dispatch some pwnage from a helicopter.

However when I got to the BF2 ingame server browser there were only a handful of servers listed, none of which was anywhere close to capacity.

This really saddens me. BF2 is still my favorite MP game, and to think I'll never get to play again is a real tragedy :(.

(overdramatic much :)

Anyway does anyone here still play BF2? Is there a 3rd party browser people are using now days? If so can someone please link me up?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited January 2009
    I just noticed im running 1.4 and theres a 1.41 patch... Ill try that, but I thought there was a 3rd party app with a browser that lets u launch the game and join the servers in its list.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    My son wanted to play BF2 the other day, but my disk 1 is scratched :(
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009

I was actually looking for it last week, but I was shocked to find that my disc one was scratched too...
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    my disc 3 of LOTR BFME II is scratched, I am gonna have to Dl a ISO of that disc
    edited January 2009
    I have the CDROM version of the game. For those of you who's disc 1 are scratched, maybe I can help...

Also my quest for a 3rd party app has led me to http://www.qtracker.com/ which ive heard good things about from a couple people on IRC. I'll try when I get home. But I'm still open to suggestions.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2009

I got mine around, dont play em any more
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I thought I was the last person to play it last year... seems like there are other survivors....
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Hey, I've got it set up on 3 machines here at home. If anyone wants to play, just let me know and I'll be there if I'm available.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2009
    I still play BF2 in my clan DIKSUP. Short for dick soup.
    edited January 2009
    Yea that 1.41 patch did it. BF2 should have a patch notification system so you know if your on the latest version. I could only find the 1.4 patch on EAs website, the 1.41 was "hidden" ;).

Also someone here turned me on to Project Reality which is a mod seems to force players into the teamwork that I wish people would participate in vanilla BF2. Give it a try!
    edited January 2009
    I'd play it if it wasn't arsed up. It's not new player friendly, even if you manage to get a group together. Everyone wants to be a sniper or marksman, and it takes forever to get birds in the air. Sure I'm a pathfinder, but when you can't get a silenced SMG, or an SMG with decent armor penetration, or in the alternate an M14, it's very difficult to do one's job.
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2009
    The game was ok. I really liked the DesertCombat Mod for Battlefield 1942 better. I wasted hours on that with my roommates in college.
    edited January 2009
    The game was ok. I really liked the DesertCombat Mod for Battlefield 1942 better. I wasted hours on that with my roommates in college.

DC is ok (it's actually what they based BF2 on), but my main problem with the 1942 engine is the flying. Flying is SO much better in the BF2 (and 2142) engine.
    edited January 2009
    I was quite good at flying in Desert Combat Mod.... Never did get a chance to go head-to-head with Blackhawk. I still remember the first Icrontic LAN (IC-LAN/ SM-LAN) where he was in an attack chopper (and it didn't matter which one) and he single handed wiped out an entire team and spawn camped for, what seemed like, 10 minutes and never died.

The next year I practiced until I could almost do what I remember he could do... then at the next IC-LAN... he didn't show up and BF2 was the new game and no one really wanted to play BF:DC.... :(
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk
    consoles Q

Flying in DC separated boys from men. BF:V ruined it.
    Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    consoles Q

Flying in DC separated boys from men. BF:V ruined it.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Always playing a sniper or marksman? Ive been a medic since I started playing...
    edited January 2009
    Yeah. Medic farms points like ultra. But if it's BF2, I'll take anyone on in a chopper, single combat or with gunners. I'm one hell of a flyer. Prefer the Flanker or the Mig, but I'll fly anything.
    edited January 2009
    I've always had problems with the planes. Not enough room on the maps to really get a good feel for it. Big fan of the Cobra Heli, though. I can do some serious damage with one of those bad boys.
    edited January 2009
    Last time I played at a LAN, the apache with a gunner was AWESOME!!
    edited January 2009
    You guys mean the AH-1Z Supercobra?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Aw man I loved BF2, driving full APCs over landmines, ordering artillery strikes on my own team, crashing helicopters into friendly tanks, ordering vehicles drops on snipers, the endless loop of reviving someone and then killing them so you can revive them again, and my personal favorite, winning the commander position and driving a jeep in circles spamming ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED while ordering squads to attack places outside the battlefield. Good times.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    How did I miss this thread?

I still play both Vietnam and BF2 quite a bit (more so BF2), but BF2 has been crashing randomly on me for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it will crash 2 minutes into a game, sometimes after 3+ hours on the same server. Tried reinstalling, incremental patches, and the newest patch to no avail. Different video driver versions didn't help. Regardless, I still play whenever I get the chance.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I miss this game. Its such a pain to get updated and running. But those were good times. Also, I think I might have fun into you a few times Canti. Bastard.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    FUN into me a few times

:D