In search of single-player PC gaming recommendations!

KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
edited March 2009 in Gaming
So I need some good single-player PC games to sink some time into as my satellite connection has proven untenable for online gaming.

Right now my short list is:

Fallout 3

I already played:

Crysis: Warhead

Anybody playing anything else that is fun and will make me love my new system?

I enjoy first person shooters, RTS games and certain RPG's. :rockon:

Oh, racing games are fun, too. I just got done playing through PURE on Xbox 360. Very fun, pulpy, arcade-style racing.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Mass Effect? Bioshock?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Mount and Blade
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I started playing Dawn of War again recently. It's an older game, but it, along with the expansions, is a lot of fun.

Dawn of War 2 comes out this month.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    bioshock cheap and good!
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Mount and Blade, Titan Quest, Mass Effect, Psychonauts, Company of Heroes
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Psychonauts!
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Homeworld, Starcraft, C and C box set, Warcraft (not the world edition). Most of em are old but still great.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Max Payne, Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, Half-Life, Mount and Blade, LOTR: BFME 2, Full Spectrum Warrior.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    Oblivion, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Dawn of War 2. Never Winter Nights 2.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    A lot were already listed that I'd recommend, so I'll continue with some unsung RTS heroes: Total War series (Medieval 2 is newest, Rome has countless mods), World in Conflict, Anno 1701, DEFCON (for your globalthermonuclearwarfare itch)

GRID for racing, you should find it very similar to DIRT I think. The game is painfully difficult at first, but is worth it once you figure it out. As far as realistic sims go for racing, I think GTR is the benchmark for the PC. I don't have any experience with it, though.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited February 2009
    Great suggestions, guys. I was reminded by this that I own Oblivion and Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 & 2 and haven't finished playing through them yet.

I think Dawn of War 2, Bioshock and Mount & Blade are definitely games I need to play as well.

I have been playing a lot of the older classics that a few of you guys mentioned, like Starcraft and C&C Red Alert.

Thanks... And hey, don't let this response stop the suggestions from flowing. :D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Don't forget Beyond Good and Evil!
  • edited February 2009
    Psychonauts! It might be the single most underrated game ever. It's the best 3D platforming experience i've had since i first played Mario 64 in 1996.

Medieval 2 is a lot of fun when your system can make it look great.
    Bioshock
    GTA4
    Gears of War
    The Orange Box
    edited February 2009
    Caxus wrote:
    Psychonauts! It might be the single most underrated game ever. It's the best 3D platforming experience i've had since i first played Mario 64 in 1996.

TOTALLY agree. I think Psychonauts is HIGHLY underrated.
  • edited February 2009
    TOTALLY agree. I think Psychonauts is HIGHLY underrated.
    I've also never had a video game make me laugh out loud so many times as this game did. There's more quality comedy in it than most hollywood comedy movies.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I place American Mcgee's Alice right up there with Psychonauts in terms of beauty and shear genius.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Dead Space
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Mafia.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I had a really fun time playing GTAIV. The storyline is pretty epic.

but if you want a game offline to play for hours upon hours, MAFIA.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited February 2009
    You need to play Painkiller. This is the best single-player game, bar none. The basic weapon is only bested by the gravity gun in Half-life for coolest weapon ever.

And by now, you buy the whole series for about $10.
    edited February 2009
    God yes. Painkiller and the expansions/sequels are awesome games.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    Khaos wrote:
    So I need some good single-player PC games to sink some time into as my satellite connection has proven untenable for online gaming.

Right now my short list is:

Fallout 3

I already played:

Crysis: Warhead

Anybody playing anything else that is fun and will make me love my new system?

I enjoy first person shooters, RTS games and certain RPG's. :rockon:

Oh, racing games are fun, too. I just got done playing through PURE on Xbox 360. Very fun, pulpy, arcade-style racing.

If you like RTS, Sins of a Solar Empire is effin' AWESOME.
    Dunno if its already been mentioned or not. But it is a blast, played it at a buddies for like six hours. Its gonna be the first game I'm gonna buy when I get my new rig finished. The depth of it is really amazing.

You arent limited to just, keep battling. You can form alliances with planets, place bounties on people who've betrayed you, mess with the galactic market, so on and so forth. Heck, if you get bored, you can just blockade a planet and watch them slowly starve to death. Fun to do to allies who betrayed you. Also, it gives you that In-depth feel, as your ships dont just "Stay". They grow more powerful, and gain more abilities the more battles they survive, which adds a great sort of RPG feel to it.

Its also gorgeous on a good PC. Just another bonus.

The cap of units and battles and how much of the galaxy you can see at once is all affected by your PC. No hard cap. So if you've got a monster comp, you can watch your galaxy, and a neighboring solar system, and have a dozen enormous space battles going on at once, on the galactic scale.. then zoom in on one battle and take command in detail.

This ships are great zoomed all the way in, and the just.. MASSIVE galaxy to play in blew me away. I could have played that one for a very very long time.

There is also an expansion pack out for it now, to expand on the fun. And another expansion pack is in beta. Im dying to lose myself in this game for a while. >.<

Its one of the few RTS's that I've truly enjoyed since SC, which will always be my RTS fave.

A few of my friends I used to regularly play Starcraft with, also recommended Spore to me. But my PC fails to much to play it. They said I'd probably lose a month or two playing that one over and over, changing things up. Im a game mechanics junky. Once I start playing I have to master every aspect of a game. And my friends know this, and hate it when we play H2h. :vimp:

Also, oldish so probably pretty cheap, the Battle for Middle Earth RTS's were a blast playing when my buds would bring over their laptops and we'd sit and chill out. Wasn't much of a fan of its single player though. Far too simplistic and easy, even with the difficulty cranked up. Only good against human opponents who can actually THINK, IMHO.

If you have a PS2, try and find Radiata Stories. A friend loaned that to me during a bad time. Its an RPG with a really simplistic combat system, but the simplicity of it truly allows you to play HOW you want. The system isn't a drawback, its a bonus. Imagine a watered down Dynasty Warriors, that humped an RPG, and spat out this combat system, I actually loved it. The whole storyline and characters cracked me up. ALOT. Kyli would actually ask me to play it for the laughs.

And the fact that you can get almost everyone in the entire game, as a teammate if you choose to do each set of sidequests makes the game last and last and last.

Also.. it was just so great to be able to kick ANYONE in the shin, and then have an epic battle with them. I dont know how many times that got me laughing. Again, you can probably find it pretty cheap, and it was one of the best RPG experiences I've ever had. Hands down. Not the best game, but the comedy, combat system, and freedom of choice, altogether added to a great experience. I think I replayed it about six times in row, and never got bored. Don't let the cutesy anime artwork fool you, most of the comedy in it is clearly intended for adults.

Just my 2c worth.
    kryyst wrote:
    Never winter nights 2
    I personally hated this game. Played through it twice, then pretty much tossed it away. Then I reinstalled 1, and downloaded some user created content for it, and had a ton more fun.

The extreme limiting I experienced in NWN2 made my head hurt, truly. The tiny forced paths you have to travel, the lack of the freedom of choice you had in the previous games.. the only upside was building and recruiting your keep, but that was -it- to me. Wait, I cheesed like heck when I found Deekin in the first major city, but since I couldn't bring his little kobold of epicness along like I could in 1's second expansion pack, It was almost more of a let down.

That was one of the greatest moments in 1. I had Deekin as a red dragon disciple, MADLY leveled and geared, and the final boss keeps tempting him "Join me, JOIN ME!" and Deekin flips out. I had him so pimped he demolished the final guy solo, while I stood back and laughed, as he kept going "DEEKIN FOLLOW BOSS! YOU NOT BOSS!" -WHAM-. Cracked me up.

Oblivion, NWN1, almost any other game > NWN 2, but thats IMHO. Everyone has different tastes, but I personally wouldn't recommend the game to anyone.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    I bought Sins a while ago but have never had a chance to dive into it, I really should make time for it soon. I will second Starcraft, it's still a lot of fun and it's fun to work your way through the story leading up to Starcraft 2.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    I bought Sins a while ago but have never had a chance to dive into it, I really should make time for it soon. I will second Starcraft, it's still a lot of fun and it's fun to work your way through the story leading up to Starcraft 2.

God yeah, I cant wait for SC2. XD I dont need to replay 1 and BW sadly, as I played them so many times through I have the ruttin' story memorized.

With SC, I was once, near when it first came out, in the top 100 in ladder ranking. I came back and tried ladder again about a year later... >.>
    Yeah, People had gotten alot better. I won 2 of my first 25 ladder games. XD I was like "Hrm, Outclassed... such is life." But still an amazing game.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I substantially prefer NWN2 to NWN1.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I substantially prefer NWN2 to NWN1.
    Really? Im curious as to why. Game drove me nuts due to the limited paths, when I was expecting a more open world like NWN1. The choices of character interaction were so limited as well, it was good choice, evil choice. I want more choices! Not to mention the story was like... Bleh.

But those were my views on it, and I never played any of the expansion packs.
    edited February 2009
    Great thread so far. I am really excited about playing most of these games, some of which I had never heard of and some of which I read quite a bit about (Sins of a Solar Empire comes to mind) but then just slipped off my radar because I got busy with other things.

I took all the suggestions and organized them into some lists in no particular order. This is more for my purposes than anything else.

Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas.

Games I don't yet own:
    Fallout 3
    Neverwinter Nights 1 / 2
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Bioshock
    Painkiller
    GTAIV
    Psychonauts
    Medieval 2: Total War
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Mass Effect
    Company of Heroes Expansions
    World in Conflict
    Anno 1701
    DEFCON
    Max Payne
    Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
    Mount and Blade
    LOTR: BFME 2
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Dawn of War 2
    Titan Quest
    Mafia
    Gears of War 2
    Dead Space

Stuff I own and need to play to death:
    Oblivion
    Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2

Stuff I own and have played to death:
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life
    Command & Conquer (Original and Red Alert and Red Alert 2)
    Starcraft
    Warcraft (Original and Sequel)
    Gears of War (First)
    American Mcgee's Alice
    Company of Heroes (Original)
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    The Witcher. Its a single player rpg, I got done with it about a month ago and loved it.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    pseudonym wrote:
    The Witcher. Its a single player rpg, I got done with it about a month ago and loved it.

The Witcher is good. Based off an updated NWN1 engine if I remember right.
    edited March 2009
    So for my first game I picked up GTA IV PC. I am loving it. So much fun. I have been a fan of the franchise ever since the very first 2D sprite-based GTA came out for IBM-compatible Windows. Awesomesauce.