Yup - Building a New PC

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Hardware
So it is that time again where I have been able to muster up a chunk of cash to get myself back into the PC building. I have come to love the portability of a Laptop, but gaming just is not the same.

So...

I am not leaning towards either AMD or Intel and want to keep my options open for good suggestions. I personally would like to go with an AMD system for a few reasons, but know the Intel has a much better performing chip.

So I am looking at buying the following as was wondering if you could chime in with what products you might think are better or will be the same for a better price point.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Quad-Core Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair II Formula AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI
GPU: 2 x EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB 256-bit - $179.99 (already have these)
Memory:OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX
Case: Antec 900
HD:couple 500GB 7200RPM drives SATA
CD/DVD:ASUS 22X DVD Burner with LightScribe
MonitorAlready have 1920 x 1200 rez :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Ditch the antec. They're not a good brand any more. Go with PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, or Corsair. If you're hell-bent on sticking with AMD (saving $200 is currently the only reason to do so), the best board is right here.

For case, there's the Antec 900. I won't discuss any other cases.

Heatsink, depends on whether or not you're overclocking.

Any reason you're only buying 2GB of memory?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    The only reason i was going for Antec was for the modular connectors. I hate the madussa effect. Know of any PSU's that offer that one item in roughly the same price range?

Might OC to see what it can do but wont be doing it 24/7

don't have a 64bit OS :(
    edited February 2009
    You can still get 3.2GB out of 4GB of memory. That extra 1200MB is worth every penny. The jump from 2.0 to 3.2 is enormous. I strongly advise it.

You can get a 700 something watt OCZ unit with modular connectors for about half the price. If you're paying that much, you can get a 1000W corsair unit with modular connectors.
    edited February 2009
    I don't think 700watt PSU can power the 2 9800GTX+ cards. well most say rated for 8800GTX in SLI
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    DFI board linked will not allow SLI.

Will need Nvidia 750a or 780a chipset board.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Are you sold on SLI? If you aren't going to go SLI, my stuff for sale in the DD&TP is a great start for a badass built, and I've already proven it'll run 4GHz stable.
    edited February 2009
    Ryder what brand would you go with?
    edited February 2009
    Oh right, I totally missed that. Jesus. It's pricey, but the Asus Crosshair II Formula is spectacular.
    edited February 2009
    Reviews I've read regarding that board suggests it has an unstable BIOS and low memory performance.
    edited February 2009
    Okay I have revised the above :)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Crosshair II or M3N-HT... you did fine :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Back to the PSU discussion, please.
    I don't think 700watt PSU can power the 2 9800GTX+ cards. well most say rated for 8800GTX in SLI
    Alright, let me provide some real world perspective. The systems I will list each have a 4-core, power-hungry overclocked Q6600 and two GPUs. These systems run full load 24/7 - CPUs and GPUs each with multiple clients of Folding@Home. Each of the machines is rock stable and will multi-task even with CPU & GPU Folding clients running. (I sometimes must pause GPU Folding for movies, but that's due to the fully loaded GPU cores not backing off work priority, not due to any lack of available power.)

OCZ 600 GameXStream, Q6600 with 1.0GHz overclock, 2 X G92 (9800GX2)
    OCZ 780 ModXStream, Q6600 with 1.1GHz oc, 2 X G92 (GX2)
    Corsair 750 TX, Q6600 with 1.2GHz overclock, 2 X 8800GT
    Corsair 620 HX, Q6600 with 600MHz overclock, 2 X G92 (9800GX2)

Now, in case you think this is an advertisement for OCZ and Corsair:

Yes, I run an 850 Watt PSU as well, a Cooler Master. It powers a Q6600 with 1.1GHz overclock and FOUR G92 cores - 2 X 9800GX2. It has power to spare.

Two of these machines I previously ran with overclocked Q6600s and two each 88/9800GTs....with Corsair 550VX PSUs! The 550s had enough power, barely, and the voltages were stable. The PSUs' cooling fans ran at 100% when the room was above 74F. The machines were stable, but yeah, that was probably pushing it with only a 550W.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / attachments --><!-- sig --><!-- / sig -->
    edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Back to the PSU discussion, please.
    Alright, let me provide some real world perspective. The systems I will list each have a 4-core, power-hungry overclocked Q6600 and two GPUs. These systems run full load 24/7 - CPUs and GPUs each with multiple clients of Folding@Home. Each of the machines is rock stable and will multi-task even with CPU & GPU Folding clients running. (I sometimes must pause GPU Folding for movies, but that's due to the fully loaded GPU cores not backing off work priority, not due to any lack of available power.)

OCZ 600 GameXStream, Q6600 with 1.0GHz overclock, 2 X G92 (9800GX2)
    OCZ 780 ModXStream, Q6600 with 1.1GHz oc, 2 X G92 (GX2)
    Corsair 750 TX, Q6600 with 1.2GHz overclock, 2 X 8800GT
    Corsair 620 HX, Q6600 with 600MHz overclock, 2 X G92 (9800GX2)

Now, in case you think this is an advertisement for OCZ and Corsair:

Yes, I run an 850 Watt PSU as well, a Cooler Master. It powers a Q6600 with 1.1GHz overclock and FOUR G92 cores - 2 X 9800GX2. It has power to spare.

Two of these machines I previously ran with overclocked Q6600s and two each 88/9800GTs....with Corsair 550VX PSUs! The 550s had enough power, barely, and the voltages were stable. The PSUs' cooling fans ran at 100% when the room was above 74F. The machines were stable, but yeah, that was probably pushing it with only a 550W.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / attachments --><!-- sig --><!-- / sig -->

Leo...

You have far to many Nvidia Graphic cards :) I mainly went with the bigger PSU for the fact I might score some 295's down the road :) I guess it never hurts to have to much power?
    edited February 2009
    I shall post some images of this bad boy once I get the parts on Friday :)
    edited February 2009
    I might score some 295's down the road
    The operative phrase is "down the road." Yes, when they hit the nice, used prices that the GX2s occupy now. No way I would have purchased the GX2s if they were priced like they were last summer! My motto: Just say NO to new when at all possible. After only a few short months, it still performs just as well but costs half as much, or even less.
    edited February 2009
    I mean score as in free :)
    edited February 2009
    Wow just got all the parts in the mail today :)<3 Newegg :)
    edited February 2009
    Pix or it didn't happen.
    edited February 2009
    Damn camera is at work :( I shall use my iphone :)
    edited February 2009
    I shall use my iphone
    Then it will have sort-of happened.
    edited February 2009
    okay I didn't want to take images and than wait to put it together :) I have all the parts inside the system... Just to work on the wiring now :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    having a 'too big' PSU does hurt. Most reach max efficiency at roughly 75% load. Many PSUs will have poorer performance at 45% than at 75%.

It ihappened!
    edited February 2009
    Some more images
    edited February 2009
    Somebody put stickers on your case! Vandals!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Hows it fold?
    edited February 2009
    I haven't gotten her going yet. But with 2 9800GTX+'s and a Phenom II all should be well :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I haven't gotten her going yet. But with 2 9800GTX+'s and a Phenom II all should be well :)

Maybe 16K PPD?
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I'll PM you my address. I'll keep you up to date on how well it folds. Thanks.