Vista display registry key

edited February 2009 in Hardware
I have a question concerning locking down display settings in Vista. I have a laptop running Vista in a conference room hooked up to a projector. I would like to be able to lock the display settings on the Vista laptop so that the display settings do not keep getting changed. Is there a specific registry key(s) in Vista that I can accomplish this?

Regards,

MBB

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I don't quite understand. Does connecting the laptop to a projector cause Vista to automatically change the display settings? I run both Vista and XP and don't recall display settings changing on their own, outside of uninstalling video drivers.
  • edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    I don't quite understand. Does connecting the laptop to a projector cause Vista to automatically change the display settings? I run both Vista and XP and don't recall display settings changing on their own, outside of uninstalling video drivers.

I am looking at a way to keep people from changing the display settings on the Vista laptop. We pull up alot of images of webpages and people have been changing the display settings and causing the images to come up blurry. If I can keep it on the current setting it is on that is working and not have people change it, that would be a good thing. Just trying to keep people from tinkering with the settings.

Regards,
    MBB
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Check out the local security policy. You can remove various tabs from the display settings.

Start > Run
    Type gpedit.msc and press enter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26707&d=1233863368
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Tech-Recipes did a write up on how to lock a users display settings via the registry... Here is what they gave...
    1. Open Notepad.
    2. Copy and paste the following into the new text document:
      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
      "NoDispSettingsPage"=dword:00000001

3. Save the document as display_settings_nochange.reg.
    4. Merge the new file into the registry by right-clicking it, selecting Open With, and finally clicking Registry Editor.
    5. Continue through the UAC prompt and confirm that you wish to perform the action.