power won't come on

edited February 2009 in Hardware
I have a Dell Dimension 4500. When I press the power button nothing happens. I have checked all the cords and power strip. I have plugged it directly into the wall socket and it will not work. The printer is plugged into the same and does come on. Also, the monitor does not light up green but amber and says: Power save mode, press any key or move mouse. When I do this, nothing happens.

Please advise me of what I can do.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Your power supply is dead, and other components may have died as well. Do you need assistance identifying and replacing the faulty component?
  • edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Your power supply is dead, and other components may have died as well. Do you need assistance identifying and replacing the faulty component?

Yes, I need assistance since I have no idea what a power supply is! Any help would be appreciated.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Do you know how to open your computer case? If not, that's your first assignment. Look for latches to open and/or screws to remove. Don't worry, you won't damage anything if you take care.

The power supply will be in the back top of the case. Look for a box-shaped metal structure with several cables trailing out from it. On the side there will be a label, which should have the part number on it.