Graphics card problem

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Ok, guys, first bump in the road for my new computer.
I have assembled everything correctly (I think), and it boots OK (although not beeping, shouldn't it?) The problem is that my screen (Samsung Syncmaster T220) just flashes "Digital" and "Analog" in the top left corner, before either going into sleep mode or giving me a "Check Signal Cable (Analog)" message.
I believe the problem lies with the graphics card, as I connected the computer to my mom's screen, and it didn't work there either. At the very first attempt a light of the back of the card (pointing out the back of the case) was red. I reseated the card and checked the power cables and it started lighting green. However, still no response from the screen. The card is a XFX GeForce GTX280.
It's been a while since I assembled a computer, and I've probably just overlooked something..

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Did you plug in any secondary power connectors on the video card?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Please post full system specs, especially PSU.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Move the DVI cable to the other DVI connector.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    1) I have tried both ports on the card.
    2) @ lincoln: What do you mean, secondary power connectors? There are two inputs, 1 6-plug and 1 8-plug. They're both occupied.
    3) Full specs :

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe X58 S-1366 ATX, DDR3, 3xPCIe 16x
    PSU: Corsair TX 750W ATX, EPS, 8xSATA, SLI
    Graphics: XFX GeForce GTX 280 602M 1GB PCIe 2.0, GDDR3, 2xDVI, HDTV, HDCP
    RAM: OCZ Gold XTC 6GB DDR3 Triple-Channel KIT 2048MB x 3, 1600MHz, CL 8-8-8-24
    CPU: Intel Core i7-965 3.2G 8M LGA1366
    edited February 2009
    Are you POSITIVE that you have the correct (PCIe) 6 and 8 pin cables connected to your cards? Many motherboards also require an 8 pin that is not the same.
    edited February 2009
    Ofcourse, not 110%.. But they are the only ones who fit.. There is just one 8 pin on my PSU, but that won't fit.
    edited February 2009
    OH wait, nevermind, you were right Thrax, you God among geeks.. It did fit, with a lot of wiggling and great strength. New problem; computer won't boot anymore..
    edited February 2009
    Power to GPU is probably fine, most modern cards will scream loudly if you mess that up. I would re-seat RAM and clear CMOS after trying the other DVI output.
    edited February 2009
    Ok: Insert 8-pin into GPU=No boot
    Insert 6-pin into GPU=Boot, no image....

Underpowered PSU?
    edited February 2009
    That PSU is prefect for your rig. Keep both the 8 and 6 pin connected to GPU, then make sure that the other 8 pin (EPS 12V) is connected to your motherboard.
    edited February 2009
    I'm sorry, but I have double, triple and quadruplechecked, and I have just one pure 8-pin connector on my PSU. The rest are PCI-E 6+2 pins..
    edited February 2009
    Above the copper heatsink on the top left edge of the board, you've connected a 4 pin adapter, correct? And since you only have one 8-pin adapter (PCIe), you left the black cap on the left side of the socket?
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Above the copper heatsink on the top left edge of the board, you've connected a 4 pin adapter, correct?

Correct, I have.

And since you only have one 8-pin adapter (PCIe), you left the black cap on the left side of the socket?

Well, this is the tricky part...
    The 8-pin is really the 4-pin.. The PSU manual says to split the 8-pin into two 4-pins, if you understand what I mean?
    edited February 2009
    What PSU do you have? Something screwy is afoot. That 8 pin is not a PCIe connector if it splits into fours (some boards have 4 pin aux connectors, some have 8 pin aux connectors. Many PSUs offer plugs that split to support both).
    edited February 2009
    edited February 2009
    I should probably also mention that the 24-pin connector can be split into a 20+4 oin connector...
    edited February 2009
    Alright. The 4+4 connector goes into your motherboard.

Two 6+2 connectors go into your video card. One of these connectors won't use the extra 2 pins.

Is this the current setup?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Jokke,

There are 2 6pin connectors that also have +2 on them (little tails connected to the black wires) Those plug into the Graphics card, 1 you use all 8 and the other you only use 6.

The 2 x 4pin combine to make an 8pin that plugs in over by the CPU (after you remove the little plastic piece from 4 of the holes on the mobo connector)
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Alright. The 4+4 connector goes into your motherboard.

Two 6+2 connectors go into your video card. One of these connectors won't use the extra 2 pins.

Is this the current setup?

Yes, it is indeed.
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Jokke,

There are 2 6pin connectors that also have +2 on them (little tails connected to the black wires) Those plug into the Graphics card, 1 you use all 8 and the other you only use 6.

The 2 x 4pin combine to make an 8pin that plugs in over by the CPU (after you remove the little plastic piece from 4 of the holes on the mobo connector)

Tried that. Still no response from the monitor.
    edited February 2009
    Stop the presses.

What slots do you have the ram installed in? They need to go in the Orange slots.
    edited February 2009
    So, is the card borked? Mobo maybe? Possibly the monitor? Could the PSU be faulty?
    edited February 2009
    ^^ read my post.. is that where the ram is?
    edited February 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Stop the presses.

What slots do you have the ram installed in? They need to go in the Orange slots.

Start the presses again. They are indeed in the orange slots (all three).
    edited February 2009
    Ok... then remove 2 sticks and test each stick in the 1st orange slot.
    edited February 2009
    Whoa, WE HAVE IMAGE!
    edited February 2009
    It doesn't detect the HDD... :(
    edited February 2009
    Or, it does, on SATA port 3, and it says its a harddrive on 1500gb (which it is) but it wont do anything with it...
    It sometimes also enter a weird program called ExpressGate Splashtop, that I've never heard of before..
    I tried booting and rebooting a few times now, and every now and again, it doesn't detect the monitor, and I must replace one stick of RAM. It's like it's overheating, or something. When the stick has rested a little, I can put it back in again.

The HD is: Seagate Barracuda SATA2 1.5TB 7200RPM, 7200.11, 8.5ms, 32MB.

It is connected properly, and is, as mentioned, detected in BIOS, as a harddrive.

I'm stumped. I don't know what to do. I'm close to getting the shotgun and drag this shit into the back yard..
    edited February 2009
    Crap.. P6T is not hooked up to PSU at the moment.

In the Bios...across the top, "Tools" Disable Expressgate there.

Did you test all 3 sticks of ram? Do they each boot in the 1st Orange slot?

If yes, then set the memory voltage to 1.66V with 1 stick (yes it will turn red and give you a warning) then save and exit, add the other 2 to the remaining orange slots.
    edited February 2009
    How do I set the memory voltage?
    edited February 2009
    But I now know for sure at least one of the memory sticks is bad. Insert it=no boot, remove it=instant boot.