Dangerden Watercooling rig with Lian-Li Aquarium Case Reservoir Mod

foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
edited May 2009 in Hardware
I built this a couple months ago, and thought I'd share my specs and some pictures for everyone to see. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Specs:

Q6600 B3 Stepping at 3.0 Ghz
8GB DDR2 800Mhz Kingston Ram
Saphire ATI Radeon 3870X2
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum
Gigabyte iRAM w/ 4GB DDR400 RAM
2x36 WD Raptors in Raid 0
LG DVD Super-Multi Drive with Lightscribe 18x(IDE)
LG DVD Super-Multi Drive 22x(Sata)
Internal 3.5" SD Reader

MAZE5CPU CPU cooler (Arctic Silver 5 Paste)
3/8" Tygon Tubing
Laing DDC-12V 18 Watt Pump
Black Ice GTS 360 with 3 Evercool Aluminum fans on it (They didn't quite fit, so I had to mount one on top sucking and two below blowing.)
Feser One Green UV Reactive Coolant
CPU lapped, waterblock left alone.

In these original pics, I had this setup with an 80mm Black Ice Micro radiator, however it didn't cut it at all. I made the classic mistake of making it blow out (Reservoir was internal) and of course my coolant got hot real quick. I reversed it, even bought a Vantec Tornado for it, and it still didn't pull off enough heat to keep the coolant at a decent temp.

rig3.jpg

rig2.jpg

After all the fun with the tiny radiator, I got tired of it and ordered the Black Ice unit mentioned in the specs. I did some creative modding with some copper pipe and suction cups to make it work.

water6.jpg

water5.jpg

My end temps are a little high still, about 60C under load, even with lapping I only saved a degree or so, but in the end, I'm happy with it. I was getting 60C at 2.4 Ghz on air with this CPU, in a CM Stacker with lots of fans, so I figure I did well.

The best part is the look though, especially with the UV lights and the reactive coolant.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the pics! You should get some plastic, ornamental fish that can float around in it.
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    I have the fish actually, they came with the case. I'm just worried they will block the intake on the pump and ruin my day. I might be taking this all apart over the weekend, so I may put something in there to prevent the fish from stopping anything up. Would be awesome to have fish floating around in there.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Thanks for the pics! You should get some plastic, ornamental fish that can float around in it.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited February 2009
    Really like the build, man. Looks fantastic.

I feel the burn out leaving my tired hands... This coming weekend may be a good time to pick up the old Dremel again!
    edited February 2009
    Thank you, I just need to re-route the wires again so they are nearly invisible now. I just added 3 Kaze 133 CFM fans to it, and now I'm getting some decent temps finally. My Q6600 block heater now runs at 50C max temp under full load, yey!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2009
    Nice work! I love the old-school Lian-li case. I still use my old PC-65B to this day :)
    edited February 2009
    I actually only chose Lian-li because this one already came with the aquarium side panel. I chose to be lazy for that part, since I could buy it pre-made for $60 for the whole case. A drill and some silicone later and I had a couple Danger Den fittings in there, so far everything works awesomely, with no leaks. I suppose I should take some interior shots sometime too. I'll do that next time I open the thing.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Very brave, but looks good.
    Do you still have a need for Dust Off in your rig:)?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    water cooled rigs still need air flow.
    edited May 2009
    Dust off is the techie's best friend after all. How do you think I clean that big rad sitting at the top of the case :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I use those Swiffer sheets to remove dust. They rock.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2009
    Portable air tank. My wife was not happy when I tried to drag 50' of air hose through the house.:rolleyes:

A fireplace bellows and clean paint brush do in a pinch.:buck:

Dust off gets expensive in a dusty old house, 4 rigs and 5 cats.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    At one shop I worked at we used a diving pony bottle with a regulated air nozzle...
    Down to the diving shop for a fill up and it would last months...