Can you mix these two cards?

funnyman141funnyman141 Fort Madison
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Can you use these two cards in one box? one is a Geforce FX 5200 PCI card and the other is a geforce 6200 AGP would they be able to run together? I can't afford better cards so I thought I could get better performance with two older cards :crazy: of course that could finally kill this comp. :werr:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    The technology to run multiple video cards simultaneously with both cards working on the same task, such as a game, is either Crossfire or SLI. Both of those technologies require a motherboard with an SLI or Crossfire dedicated chip. Your system will not accomplish that based on:

A Crossfire or SLI system requires PCI-e video card slots and PCI-e video cards. Neither your motherboard nor video cards have that technology.

Short answer, no, you can only use one video card at a time with your system.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    Good video cards are going for a song these days. Ebay those two and get your self a nice upgrade. Some people still need AGP cards. 80 or 90 bucks is all you need to get gaming.
    edited February 2009
    Uh, Komete, I think he's got an old AGP motherboard.

Funnyman, would you please tell us about your computer. We definitely need more information. Is it custom computer? Is it a branded computer? If so, what brand and what model?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    You can run both of them, but you cannot combine their performance. You could only connect two monitors.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Uh, Komete, I think he's got an old AGP motherboard.

Funnyman, would you please tell us about your computer. We definitely need more information. Is it custom computer? Is it a branded computer? If so, what brand and what model?

Yea, I see PCI and think PCI-E. But looking on newegg they have agp 3650's going for 80. It'll get some entry level gaming done.

But I think breaking up his system and selling it on ebay is a viable option. Surprisingly, people buy old hardware. But I know what it is like having a tight wallet. Mine tries to bite a finger off every time I go into it.
    edited February 2009
    So, he can have an entry level ATI 3650 versus an outdated entry level Nvidia 6200 for $80? Ouch!!!! My advice is to spend nothing and save money. No offense to Funnyman, but maybe it's time to just say no to the current computer and start thinking about the next one. OK, no money for the next computer, well, at least not yet. But spending $80 on an already near-obsolete video card just pushes that new computer even farther into the distance.

Was I too harsh on the 3650? Sorry, but just seems like a princely sum for a three generation old card with an obsolete interface.
  • funnyman141funnyman141 Fort Madison
    edited February 2009
    Don't worry you cant hurt my feelings about this comp it is a custom built heh I don't think a normal computer would be such a pain in the ass. I know I need to upgrade but my money is going into a vehicle and such so I just use what I can get plus being unemployed makes a wallet just a lil to thin lol
    edited February 2009
    Don't worry you cant hurt my feelings about this comp it is a custom built heh I don't think a normal computer would be such a pain in the ass.
    You will find that home built is the name of the game here. We like any kind of computer - new, old, branded, home built, but we have a soft stop for do-it-yourself. Your computer is not a pain or even strange, it's just aging. Fine, except that I guess you are discovering the limits of gaming with it.
    edited February 2009
    well lets just say its not really home built but as things broke or died I would scavenge parts off of other computers that died lol. I really don't play games that often and if I do just once through then I let my friends borrow them the only game on here that I play a lot is Doom 2 it has really good repplayablility with wads of course ;)
    edited February 2009
    the motherboard is a M825LU v.7.5, the processor is a mobile AMD ahtlon xp-m 1400+ ~1.2ghz with 384MB of RAM go ahead laugh all you guys want it's still surprised me it could run as good as it does
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    the motherboard is a M825LU v.7.5, the processor is a mobile AMD ahtlon xp-m 1400+ ~1.2ghz with 384MB of RAM go ahead laugh all you guys want it's still surprised me it could run as good as it does

Well you obviously know you are way behind the times. A new video card or even if you could do the impossible and run both your cards it would do you no good. Your cpu and memory would just choke any new card.

Good news is, you can only go upwards in pc performance from where you are at. :)
    edited February 2009
    thanks it was only 20 bucks when I got it way back in 2000 i think but it'll play what games i have some slower then others but at least they run unlike my siblings which is a somewhat newer system and can't run some of the newer games well 2004 and up lol