No Post.... Outta Ideas >:(

TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
edited March 2009 in Hardware
Hey there,

Today I just finished picking up the parts for my new computer. I put em all together well.... The title explains my situation.

HARDWARE:
-G31M-ES2L GIGABYTE motherboard
-2Gigs OCZ platnum RAM
-Sonata III case
-500W earthwatts power suppy
-EVGA 9800gt
-WD 500GB hdd
-E8400 (stock cooler)
-Extra cd drive i had laying around

ok, there are the hardware specks. I have already tried doing a couple things to narrow down the problem but so far to no avail. I have already tested out the memory one at a time and then both of them in a different computer, they worked (I also tried no RAM and I got a beep code from the mobo). I have made sure that there is contact between the heatsink and the CPU, its fine. I have made sure that the HDD is spinning up. I have made sure it is not the video card by trying onboard and also trying the video card in another computer. I have also tried 2 different monitors. The last thing that I have tried is taking out the mobo from the case to make sure that is is not being shorted out and reseting the CMOS.

I'm outta ideas. I'm thinking its the mobo but i'm wanting a second, third, fourth, etc opinion.

Thanks
-Tvman

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Have you tested the PSU to assure that it is good?

Give that a shot, elseways I suspect the motherboard.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    My thoughts in order are;
    1. PSU
    2. Motherboard
    3. Gremlins!
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited February 2009
    Ah, I will check the PSU tomorrow just as soon as i get some ZZZ's. Thx Thrax, Mt_Goat.... Next step, gremlin check? 0_o
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    Try taking the core components out of the case and placing your MB on cardboard plug in your CPU, GPU, and PSU and then try. If that works try adding HDs and then re mount int the case. I had some problems with this on my system which has been stable for years. I bought a new GPU which I didn't need and by disassembling and re assembling the whole lot it came back to life. I also made a cardboard devider which I put between the MB and MB mounting tray to make sure it was isolated.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    He already tried running the components outside of the case. :)
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    He already tried running the components outside of the case. :)

Oh Yeah!:doh: I was only testing.:wink:
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for all the awesome advice (you to, RichD. I took em out again just in case!).
    The root of this evil turns out to be the mobo. I'll be bringing it in for a new one in a week or so seeing as I am leaving on a trip tomorrow. I'll post back once I get er' running!

Thanks again
    -TvMan
    edited March 2009
    kk, just a bit of an update. My exchange is taking a bit longer then expected because i buy my parts from a shop about an hour away. Can't seem to find time to go in, but will definately check back in to to post (hopfully) good results.

Cheers
    -TvMan
    edited March 2009
    Update: Before i took it back i decided to try one last thing. It was the Silicon Jesus post that made me decide to try a new battery. I put it together outside of the case and put a new battery in and to my amazement it worked! :D

Thanks for the help, just thought I would update. :smiles: