What do you think of PC Power and Cooling these days?

foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
edited March 2009 in Hardware
I drove to Toronto on Saturday with a buddy of mine, 3 hour drive for us. Picked up some stuff from Canada Computers:

Asus P6T Deluxe Motherboard
6GB Patriot 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM
Core i7 920
PC Power and Cooling 750 Watt PSU
Coolermaster 590 Case
Fans, etc

Anyways, we get all the way back home, at like 11 PM. Buddy starts building his shiny new system (His first build.) and after he gets it all setup, cleans up his wires, the PSU is DoA (I told him he broke Murphy's law when he routed the wires and put the case back together before a power up.)

Needless to say, he was pretty pissed off about it, and I grabbed a 750 Watt el Cheapo from the shop to get him going until I could replace it. He's opted for an Antec 850 Watt Modular PSU instead of replacing with another PC Power and Cooling because he's gun shy now, and that's what I happen to have. I picked one up for him today, and had it tested in the store since they wanted the screws out of it (Can you believe they actually complained about 4 missing standard case screws?)

While I haven't sold many of these units myself, I always heard good things about them. Has something changed with them, or did we just get shitty luck and pick a bad one from the bunch?

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    shitty luck

I have a PCP&C 610w and 750w and they work wonderfully.

I sure Ryder from OCZ will stop by this thread soon.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Crappy luck. PC Power & Cooling continues to be a superlative manufacturer of power supply units.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    PC Power & Cooling continues to be a superlative manufacturer
    Is PCP&C manufacturing PSUs themselves, or are they branding Channel Well Technology units or other original design manufacturers' units? The company, (yes, I know, owned by OCZ) does "engineer" their own PSUs, but who manufacturers them? Doesn't matter that much, I'm just curious.
    What do you think of PC Power & Cooling these days?
    I have no experience owning or using one, but I can tell you, tech site reviews, even the hard nosed demanding reviewers consistently give PCP&C the highest marks of any brand.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    AFAIK, they still make their own units like they always have. I'm sure Eric will have more insight.
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will consider PC Power and Cooling again then for future builds.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    The Power Supplies are built by various OEM's with PCPower designs.

Even the best is never perfect :)

Did you try to jumpstart the unit?
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    Hmm, define Jumpstart for me please.

I've already exchanged the unit, since it tested as faulty on my supply tester. The guy at Canada Computers of course had to test it too, since I might be lying. So I had him test the new Antec before I brought it home this time, heh.

Oh yeah, anyone have any ideas where I can get decent Enermax RMA service in Canada? They seem to like playing magical depots and I have 5 of the ****ers all in warranty that are shot (Lovely 565 series ones)
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited March 2009
    I love my unit - its never so much as blinked in the years I have had it - not so for my enermax units - Galaxy 1000W and Liberty 750W units failed. The 750 lasted 3 months - fair play they were good to deal with but I'm with my PCP&C now!