Monitor sleeps, will not wake up

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hi all,

So I've recently run into a problem with my computer displaying no image onscreen after being left alone to sleep. The only thing set to turn off is the monitor, not the computer itself or the HDs.

The best way I could describe the symptoms is as if the computer freezes. Sometimes the HD will be reading/writing (audible, and the LED is flickering) sometimes it won't. It requires I reset the computer every time.

I'm curious what might be causing this, as I'm sure there's a million and one possibilities - both hardware and software. Any way of narrowing down the scope would be appreciated.

P35-DS3R
C2D 6320 @ stock (for now)
2GB OCZ2P10001G
ATI 4850 @ stock factory OC
HiPer 530W 'Type-R'

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    What input device do you have set as the wake-up signaler. Mouse? Keyboard? Both. Try setting do a different device. It could be the sleep mode is shutting the USB bus and the computer does not get the signal to 'wake up.'
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I thought that, which is why I plugged in the old ps2 converter to make sure the keyboard would at least wake her up.

It didn't work, either - but it's worth noting both keyboard and mouse are wireless. Would that make a difference?
    edited February 2009
    Yes, it sure could make a difference. Wireless and hard wired protocols for input devices are initiated at different times during a boot-up cycle, which I'm sure goes for wake-up cycle as well. Why don't you test the system with a wired mouse? In the standard Windows boot, wireless is one of the last subsystems to engage.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    They don't wake up at different times. USB is USB.
    edited February 2009
    He said wireless...oh, that's right, there's the USB adapter.

doh :rolleyes: