How much real world difference in ram timings?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Hardware
I'm looking at 2 different kits, both are OCZ 6GB PC12800 kits, one has 8-8-8-24 and the other is 7-7-7-24.

I'm planning on overclocking as much as possible and keep it stable...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    There's no real-world difference, but the modules with 7-7-7 timings are from a better speedbin and will probably overclock better.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    any brand worth checking out other than OCZ? I've had great luck with them in my last 3 systems.
    edited March 2009
    OCZ, G.SKILL, Corsair, and Mushkin are all exceptional companies. I personally prefer OCZ and G.SKILL.

OCZ is nice because they offer a lifetime warranty and our RyderOCZ can handle any technical support and/or RMA issues right from Icrontic. :)
    edited March 2009
    Kind of what I was expecting.

I'm gonna snag the goodies tomorrow after work. Now to decide on a board.

Got any input Thrax? I'm stuck between the P6T and the Gigabyte X58-DS4... Leaning towards the Gigabyte just based on past experience. I haven't found much of a difference until you start looking at the higher end ones that add more express slots or stuff like scsi controllers.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Go Gigabyte. I'll partially echo what Thrax wrote: I prefer G.Skill and OCZ. You can hardly lose with either. Just remember with the OCZ that most of requires a BIOS setting 0.2v higher than other brands. If you forget, you'll try to boot your computer and wonder what's gone wrong.
    edited March 2009
    I'm sorry, Leo, that's just not true. All the manufacturers use roughly the same ICs and carry roughly the same voltage requirements. A Corsair vs. G.SKILL vs. OCZ module will all have the same voltage requirements if they're the same chips.

What's more, most modules require 2.1v (DDR2) or 1.6v (DDR3) if they're overclocker modules. There's no way around that. It's nothing that's unique to OCZ memory.

@DanG:
    I must first ask what you intend to do with this system. If you're going into some heavy overclocking, something that the Nehalem really loves, there are much better choices than either board. This is just an example.

What are your plans for your new rig?
    edited March 2009
    F@H, gaming and web.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/Computers(ME)/ComputerComponents(ME)/Motherboards(ME)/DesktopBoards(ME)/IntelSocket1366(ME)/Default.aspx

That's where I'm buying from and I'm trying to not spend $400 on a board.
    edited March 2009
    I would roll with the Gigabyte board, then. Gigabyte has really made a name for itself since the advent of the P965 chipset, and they've certainly pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. Asus boards, on the other hand, have always given me a slew of quirky problems in every generation I've bought into (three).

Never again, Asus!
    edited March 2009
    Are you saying the gigabyte board because of price or is there something they have listed that would make for a better system?
    edited March 2009
    Holy fast. I got over 20,000 in 3dmark06 without changing anything
    edited March 2009
    What happened between posts 3 Mar and 9 Mar, you got a new motherboard? Which one? New motherboard and RAM?
    edited March 2009
    Whoops, I guess my last post didn't say much.

Bought the gigabyte x58 ds4, the OCZ ddr3 pc12800 7.7.7.24, a core i7 920, the thermalright ultra 120 extreme with the dual fan holder. Coupled together with my radeon 4870x2 2gb and 150gb raptor from my old system.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    That's quite a system. Phew.
    edited March 2009
    Very nice. Hey, would you consider posting in "Mods & Cooling" sub-forum about your new Thermalright U120E. I noticed that Thermalright has replaced those silly fan clips with those apparently really nice brackets. I'm also interested to know the condition of the sink's base and how it performs with your system.
    edited March 2009
    I took some pictures while I was putting everything together, I will gladly post them in there. Speaking from previous experience on my last 3 U120's, the base was the exact same as it has been in previous years.