What CPU cooler to have? (tight budget)

edited April 2009 in Hardware
Hi people,
i was hoping you lot will know a lot about aftermarket coolers... well i would not need to hope because you will.
i have a measly £35 lol its not alot but it ill do.
i will have a antec 902 the newest version and wanted a cpu cooler to make it look better and make it cooler :eek3:
we all know the needs for our pc's to look good.
does anyone a good cooler?

thanks in advance:rockon:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Mr. M. Dragon, we need more info from you. What motherboard are you using? The CPU socket configuration is necessary to know. What is the clearance between the top of the motherboard socket and the case side?

I gather that your primary objective with changing your CPU heatsink is for aesthetics? That's fine, but what type of appearance do you want? Radical? Colorful? Bold? Futuristic?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It's an Antec 902. There isn't a heatsink on earth that won't fit.

But we do need to know the motherboard.
  • edited March 2009
    sorry hehe didnt think of that.

i have a asus p5n-d, 775 socket not sure about the clearance because i was going to get the heat sink with the case so...

the case is 21.8cm in width im guessing about 19cm? maybe
    edited March 2009
    i will have a antec 902
    To read a post and comprehend, what a concept! Dragon, yes, Thrax is right. We can fit any CPU heatsink in that case. We still need to know what motherboard you will use and what look you want.
  • edited March 2009
    ok i do like the big look, kind of futuristic
    and it is the asus p5n-d
    edited March 2009
    Alright, this will be fun! :D Budget is the next consideration. £35, right? Please give us links to the online vendors you might shop. (35 may not get you very far if you purchase from a local brick and mortar shop)
  • edited March 2009
    ok yes it is £35 unfortunatly. i know these websites:
    www.ebuyer.com
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.specialtech.co.uk
    i dont know many websites but i've used these
    edited March 2009
    Alrighty then, another big question, something you may not have considered: are you willing to remove the motherboard to mount the heatsink? Many aftermarket CPU heatsinks have a support "backplate" that must be installed on the back of the motherboard. Others have the Intel OEM standard push-pin mounting.
    edited March 2009
    And another question: do you think that in the future sometime yuo might be interested in overclocking your CPU? If yes, that will make a difference in what we might help you select. Some CPU coolers may be large and impressive in appearance, but not good performers for overclocked processors under load.
  • edited March 2009
    righty then
    erm i do not mind at all of taking the motherboard out
    and i proberly will be interested in overclocking
    thanks again

sorry of replying so late.
    edited March 2009
    You may then need to compromise the appearance for the performance, but maybe not. What you need to do now, is go to those three websites, and look at coolers compatible for Socket 775 in your price range. Don't forget about shipping costs and don't forget about purchasing thrermal paste. Look for Arctic Silver 5, Arctic Cooling MX-2, Tuniq TX-2, or OCZ Freeze.

My suggestion is that you find three to five heatsinks that seem the most interesting to you then post the links here. We'll take a look and advise you on performance and any other considerations we think notable. Also, try to find some reviews on the coolers that interest you. That's a good way to start learning about heatsink performance parameters such as materials, design, and construction quality.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2009
    MD try aria.co.uk or scan.co.uk , if you want cheap the artic cooler freezer pro , or akasa 965 are highly, recommended you can always change the fan for an LED one. I Moderate for Micromart mag in the UK and these are standard el cheapo and effective recommends. :) MD ocuk site got hacked they are very limited at the moment and prefer telephone orders
  • edited March 2009
    i decided to take a few pics of my case and how much room i got for a cpu cooler
    soz for the bad quality i ant got a good camera
    edited April 2009
    Go with the OCZ Vendetta 2. Both the V2 and Core Contact Freezer are very good, but in my experience the V2 is a cut above the CC Freezer.