sli geforce cards?

jamessearle0jamessearle0 sheffield - england
edited March 2009 in Hardware
right, so im planning on getting a pair of cards to sli but im on a budget i will be using this rig for gaming (new games eg: fallout 3?)

right so my budget is up too £160 (i think haha)

im pondering over:

8800gts
9600 gt
9800 gtx

is there really a bang for buck difference between 2 X 8800gts / 2 X 9800gtx

thanks in adavnce guys :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    No, there's not a substantial difference. You're sure your motherboard supports SLI?
  • jamessearle0jamessearle0 sheffield - england
    edited March 2009
    ah my current board doesnt but ive ordered an: Asus Socket Am2+ M3n72-d which has a seccon pci-e (16) so we should be cool :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, you should be alright. SLI 8800GT(S) cards are still the best price/performance in my opinion. The GeForce 295 is a real ass-beater, but its price/performance ratio is much, much higher.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Also the 9600GSO uses the same GPU as the 8800GT so with some overclocking you can make it do a lot more but they will generate a lot of heat and a lot of noise.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Yeah, you should be alright. SLI 8800GT(S) cards are still the best price/performance in my opinion. The GeForce 295 is a real ass-beater, but its price/performance ratio is much, much higher.
    I am using a pair of 8800GT cards in SLI. They perform incredibly well. I have had them (almost) since the day they came out and have been very happy with their performance.
    At what resolution do you plan to play your games?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    The 9600GSO has a nice core clock, usually 650MHz, but a PATHETIC stream processor count of 48, versus the 8800 and 9800 series' 112. The 9600GSO is no bargain, even after rebates.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    The ones with 48 count are the ones with DDR2, all of the DRR3 models I have seen have 96.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Ah, you are right. OK, then, maybe the question we should ask is what will give him the best performance for his £160 budget - two entry level 9600s or a higher end card? James, maybe you should give us a link to where you intend to purchase. It's a tad bit difficult to advise at this point if we don't know what you will have to pay for the cards.