New HDD Wanted for Laptop

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited March 2009 in Hardware
You may have seen in another thread I posted on here that my laptop HDD is dying... as such I want to research a new one and plan before it dies fully...

Firstly, I need to decide which one to get - I don't need to look for the cheapest £/gb as I don't need anything massive - I don't store media on it. I just want something reliable and robust.

Can anyone suggest something that fits the bill? - In the past I've been keen on Seagate as they seem to have a decent rep - is that still the case?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I don't think you can go wrong selecting Seagate. My personal experience is that Seagate has earned the high reputation they have.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Seagate is nice. I like WD too.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I prefer Seagate and WD. I've owned drives from both companies for a very, very long time.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited March 2009
    Cool - looks like I was on the right track then with Seagate... now, this is a bit of a newbie question, and something I can't believe I''ve not yet done!...

So, I open the lappy and exchange the HDDs, I am assuming that will seem obvious, just a bit more awkward being a laptop rather than desktop.

The thing I've never done is install an OS on a brand new never used HDD! - It's always been a reinstall or an install on top of an old one etc... so what's the deal here?!

Also - I have Vista Home Premium OEM from Dell, is it worth me trying to do a dual boot install with this and one of the latest Linux distros?