Upgraded RAM to older system

dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
edited April 2009 in Hardware
Today I finally recieved my new sticks of DDR400 2 - 1 GB sticks of G-Skill Value ram.

I already had 1 Stick of the same memory in my desktop, which is why i decided to get 2 more to max out my memory slots.

My current setup:

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra (handles up to 3GB of ram)
Barton 2600+
9800XT Video card
400 watt power supply
Windows Vista SP1 - Business

After I added my two new sticks of ram I went to turn my PC back on, when i found out that POST ran fine with no errors, but Windows wouldn't load.

Instead the PC would just reboot itself over and over again. I did shut it off and powered it back on to recieve the choose boot menu, so I tried to boot into safe mode but that didn't change anything.

I did also try to take the one memory module out and run it on 2 GB of ram, which let Windows boot. I tried combinations of 2 sticks of ram, which all of them worked.

It is only when I add the 3rd stick of ram that windows will not load.

I guess I am missing something. I have tried to search fo the answer, but it has lead me nowhere at the moment.

I don't know if it is just the motherboard, or maybe the power supply isn't beefy enough.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It's not the power supply. RAM requires very little power. Let's start troubleshooting.

Are these two new modules exactly the same specification and brand as the original RAM module? Often, but not always, different brands of RAM may not be compatible with each other.

Let's first determine if both your new RAM modules are working correctly. One at a time, try both new modules of RAM in the known good RAM slot - where your original RAM module worked well. See if your system will run.
  • dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited March 2009
    All three of the ram moduels are the exact same: timing, brand, all three are 1 GB.

I did try both of the ram modules one at a time with the original one, but I will go back through and try all three of them one at a time and see what happens.

Will have to test them later on today since i am at work now. Will let you know what I find.

Any other ideas in the mean time I will check that out also.

Thanks for you help Leonardo. I have always checked on this site, but rarely needed help. Nice to know there is a place for questions and ansers though.
  • dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited March 2009
    So this reply comes in a little late, but to update things. I have tried each of the RAM modules sepparately and they all seem to work fine.

My motherboard only has 3 slots for RAM and it isn't till I add the second stick to the I would say the first channel is when I can not boot into windows vista.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Next logical troubleshooting steps:
    • reset the BIOS to "fail safe" or default settings and retry the modules test, one module at a time
    • try another set of known, good RAM
    If both of those tests do not find a solution, you have a faulty motherboard.

Maybe there is a BIOS setting that needs changing? I don't have any experience with three memory slot motherboards or the Nvidia chipset that's on your motherboard. Take a fresh look at the manual in case there's a specific setting needed for multiple RAM modules.