Building my first Computer

KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it.KCMO Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Hardware
I put the CPU in the socket and started to lock it in place when it started to resist. Rather than force it and risk damaging my CPU I opened it back up. My question is, is it normal to have some resistance or do I need to check the alignment of the CPU in the socket?

If it helps motherboard is BloodIron P35 and the CPU is intel Core 2 duo.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    There should be some resistance. As long as you've taken the covers off the socket and the processor and aligned it correctly (and it's pretty difficult to mess that up), the socket retaining system is meant for you to have to give it some force.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    As long as it centered and the indents on the CPU lower part align with the tabs of the socket, you're OK.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It was aligned and all that jazz I was just afraid of pushing to hard. I got in place now though.
    edited March 2009
    I was just afraid of pushing to hard
    A wise sentiment. Better caution than destroying parts. I felt the same way when I did my first build!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    I was just afraid of pushing to hard. I got it in though.
    Good to hear:rockon:
    edited March 2009
    I have everything installed now. All I need to do if figure out a good wiring layout.
    edited March 2009
    I have everything installed now. All I need to do if figure out a good wiring layout.
    A hearty congratulations to you. BTW, the common term for "wiring layout" is "cable management." It's always a challenge.

Home-built computers is the legacy of Icrontic. You are now part of that!
    edited March 2009
    I still seem to have a few problems. My CD drive won't open although the power light is on. Also no signal is being sent to my monitor, as well as I can't turn off my computer unless I turn off the PSU. :sad2:
    edited March 2009
    My suggested troubleshooting:

1. Disconnect the CD drive's power, data, and audio cables. Try the system, see if it operates normally. What you've described could be caused by a bad optical drive. If that doesn't work, try a different data cable for the CD. If that doesn't work,

2. Set the jumper on the CD drive to "Cable Select" or "CS." If that doesn't work, with the CD disconnected from the system,

4. Recheck the I/O panel cables (case's cables that attach to the lower right of the motherboard) - the reset switch, power switch, power LED, HDD LED, and so forth. Ensure the the connectors' polarities is aligned correctly with the motherboard pins. Use a light so you can clearly see the polarity markings on the board and the connectors. It is very easy to get that wrong. If that doesn't work (with the CD still disconnected),

3. Remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for about half an hour, reinsert it, set the BIOS to "Safe" or "Default" and test the system. If after the system works properly, reconnect the CD and see what happens. If problems come back, it is most likely the CD drive.

When you have the CMOS battery removed. Disconnect and reconnect all the computer's cables to ensure everything all the connectors are snug.
    edited March 2009
    Ok I got the CD tray working but still no monitor signal and can't turn the power off without turning off the PSU. I reversed the front panel cables it would still turn on but not off.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I'd check your RAM. See if you get signal with no RAM first. If that works, try each one.
    edited March 2009
    I feel like an idiot. I didn't plug in one of the power cables to the motherboard which solves all of my problems. Thanks for all your suggestions and help guys.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Don't feel bad I have been foiled by that when not building a computer, oh the hours where did they go.