Antec 1200 PSU mounting, which way up?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited March 2009 in Hardware
I decided to UV sleeve all my cables today and recable my Antec 1200. I want to mount the PSU the right way up (fan facing down) but will the PSU get enough air to stay cool? There is about 10mm gap between the PSU and the bottom of the case as the PSU rests on rubber pads.

My PSU is a Coolermaster 620W modular PSU wiht a 120mm fan on the bottom. I used to have it upside down (fan facing up) but I want to change it so the cables are closer to the holes.
Please dont say, just mount it upside down, there just cables... I really want to mount it the right way.

Thanks

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Modify your case!!:ninja:
    Cut a hole in the bottom of the case, it would be cool sweetness:vimp:

Oh and Pics Please!!
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited March 2009
    Mmm, It would be cool but my case is on carpet and only about 10mm off the ground. The feet for the PSU are the same as the case feet.
    If I were to cut a hole, I would need to raise the case with some new feet and make some sort of dust filter.

The PSU is on a mounting plate which mounts to the case. If I flip the mounting plate upside down the PSU is the right way up (fan down) and there is plenty of clearence underneath (about 2 1/2 inches) but I can only use the bottom 2 PSU mounting screws because the top 2 hit the case. This means that the PSU sags and may easily bend the plate. Should I dremel the case so I can use the top 2 screws as well and prehaps put some blocks under the PSU to support it?

Ohh and ive nearly finished the UV sleeving. Taken me about 5 hours so far. I still have to cable manage it after :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It should 'breathe' well enough, if:

The gap between the PSU and case bottom is no more than you state and if the space around the open sides of the PSU are not blocked with cables.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Fan up (towards your PCI cards) is the proper mounting orientation for the Antec x00 series. You should not (and not have to) cut or modify anything.