Possibly looking for a netbook/notebook

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Hardware
So, I'm a tech nut. I want a new desktop (that will take forever at this pace to build). What would really be nice is something portable I can take with me when I visit friends and family. I don't necessarily want to game (aside from, POSSIBLY WoW. If I really want to play TF2 or L4D, I'll bring a box), but I would like the ability to do basic tasks like work on python/perl/random language x development as well as the ability to browse the web without feeling overly "crunched" by screen real estate.

What I'm wondering is if there is anything out there for less than $400 that would fulfill the very basic requirements and still be bigger than the 8.9" Eee PC screens?

I know ION is on the horizon, but I don't know that I want to wait that long for such a toy.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    MSI Wind is 10". Just go to Best Buy and Microcenter and play with some netbooks.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I really like my MSI Wind U120. It does everything I need.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    MSI Wind is probably the current winner of the existing netbooks. They are all more or less the same in terms of power so it comes down to usability and price and that's where I think MSI wins.
    edited March 2009
    ^ My opinion as well, and what sold me on the netbook over the others.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I've looked at it and it seems pretty swank. I really like the 10" screen...I just don't think I'd adjust well to 8.9" and the small keyboard.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    I would feel remiss to not say. Put off your sale for a while longer if you can. The netbook market is on the verge of taking off. There is a second gen atom chip coming out soon, so if you can hold of 6 months you'll greatly benefit.

I also think it's worth mentioning you can also get a deal on some full size laptops now for around $499.
    edited March 2009
    So I'm the worst (or best, depending on who you ask) consumer ever. They didn't have the MSI Wind at the Best Buy here, but they had the HP Mini 1000 10"...and I fell in love...and bought it (1gb ram [easily extended], 16gb SSD, etc)....and then put ubuntu on it...and after a struggle with the stupid broadcom card...finally got WPA2 working. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm pleased as punch with the HP Mini 1000 10" so far, and it included a 2gb usb stick (in their proprietary retardation of USB) that allowed me to easily install a full ubuntu. Its snappy as hell...I'm happy...yeah...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Craigslist is your friend. You don't have to get an itty-bitty toy screen. I have two 17" laptops, both with dual core processors, wireless, optical drives...the works. I paid $250 for one and $150 for the other. One was 2 months old and the other was 18 months old.

What I'm saying, if it's not going to be a computer you rely on daily for serious work, there is no reason to go out and buy a new machine, especially if you have to get one that's a compromise.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    Be careful with the MSI Wind. I have one, my current netbook, but it has two major flaws. First is the build quality. The top half.where the screen is feels like it may break easily. It is flimsy and tends to bend, causing dustortions on the LCD. I didn't have this problem with my EEE.

Next, be careful because some Winds have a crappy Syntellics touchpad instead of a Synaptics pad. MAJOR dealbreaker for touchpad lovers.
    edited March 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Craigslist is your friend. You don't have to get an itty-bitty toy screen. I have two 17" laptops, both with dual core processors, wireless, optical drives...the works. I paid $250 for one and $150 for the other. One was 2 months old and the other was 18 months old.

What I'm saying, if it's not going to be a computer you rely on daily for serious work, there is no reason to go out and buy a new machine, especially if you have to get one that's a compromise.

Some people actually like 10" or 9" netbooks over hulking full-size laptops. But I agree, buying second hand is not bad, I got an EEE for about $150.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I hate the touchpad on my Wind; but then, I hate all touchpads.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    If you travel a LOT, are young, have great 20-20 vision, and don't use the machine a lot, yes, I can definitely see using a small netbook. I got the impression from the original post that MMS wanted a machine for more than just casual web browsing and email. He was even talking about coding. Now, how long will that take a on a 10" tiny screen before the user says, "screw this, I'll just wait til later." Look, I completely understand the convenience the the small size, but man, it's just one step up from a cellphone. Again, if you are constantly hopping in and out of the metro and running around town, oh my yes, a netbook is better than a big 17" laptop. But if you can put it in a car seat and are in a home or office, go for the screen size.
    edited March 2009
    My impression was he needed a netbook for portability. Coding in a netbook is not much different from coding on a desktop. My impression was he needed a mediahub in addition to a took for surfing and for writing/coding. I did not get the impression that he needed anything more than that. A netbook is perfect for this.

I don't travel much, have perfect vision, and use the netbook a LOT. I use it more than my desktop actually. It's not just a step up from a celphone... It's several leagues above a cel... Btw I am posting this from a cel. It's not just the convenience of portability; I would never trade in my netbook for a 15" or larger. You can't curl up on a bed or couch with one of those the way you can with a 10" or 9". And again, cost factors into the equation. If you can get a 17" for $150, you can probably get a netbook for half that.
    edited March 2009
    I will never, ever, for any reason, get a notebook with any other screen size than what my Wind has.
    edited March 2009
    Well, I did buy a netbook. A Dell 10" (like I said above), because I'm an impulse buyer and wanted something NAO!

That said, I don't want a laptop. Anything that weighs more than 4lbs is a chore to carry around when I'm traveling, which is pretty often these days. Having to carry 5lbs on top of clothing, sometimes dog stuff (crate/kennel, food, toys) and other miscellany is awful. Now, I can pack up my wonderful little netbook, which has a nice enough resolution (1024x600) and its not too small. It's beautiful.

I would recommend anyone who travels frequently get one. Its so nice to not even NOTICE the size of this thing...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I have my eye on an HP DV2 for a realy portable solution.

Best of both worlds, some actual discrete graphics performance (not high end, but enough for WOW), and a decent 12" screen in a realy light, thin, portable form factor.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/go/dv2
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Lenovo X200.

12.1", < 4lbs, built like a tank. <3